Thread: SQL Error

Lively Member

SQL Error

Hey All,
    Im not quite sure where to post this error, as I am trying to write a stored procedure to be used in a asp.net application, but I cant seem to get the SQL right:

Code:
    select cast('<Page><Id>' As varchar(266)) + cast(pa_pageid AS int) + '</Id><Path>' + pa_path + '</Path><Replace>' + pa_replace + '</Replace><Scrape>' + pa_scrape + '</Scrape><Select>' + pa_selectorid + '</Select>
    	<Sel-pos>' + pa_selpos + '</Sel-pos><Sel-tag>' + pa_seltag + '</Sel-tag><Regex>' + pa_regex + '</Regex></Page>' from WST_Page
    Thats the query I am running, and I get this error:

Code:
    Conversion failed when converting the varchar value '<Page><Id>' to data type int.
    Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Cheers,
    Andrew
    Andrew

Re: SQL Error

it's this bit:
    + cast(pa_pageid AS int) +

presumably pageid is an integer to being with so there's no reason to cast it as one... but even still you don't want it as an integer, but as a string... SQL sees one of the items to add as a number and expects the whole expression to be a number. When it cannot convert the string it throws up its hands, barfs and spits out the error.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Lively Member

Thanks for the quick reply. The reason for the cast() is because I was trying hopelessly to fix the error I get the same error with the code like this:

Code:
    select '<Page><Id>' + pa_pageid + '</Id><Path>' + pa_path + '</Path><Replace>' + pa_replace + '</Replace><Scrape>' + pa_scrape + '</Scrape><Select>' + pa_selectorid + '</Select>
    	<Sel-pos>' + pa_selpos + '</Sel-pos><Sel-tag>' + pa_seltag + '</Sel-tag><Regex>' + pa_regex + '</Regex></Page>' from WST_Page
    The cast were trying to make sure the system knew what each element was to stop it from throwing the error.
    Andrew

Right... you've got some elements, at least one, that's a nu,mber, and you're trying to put it into a string... so you need to CAST IT AS AS A STRING... pa_pageid is a number... but what you're returning is a string... so you can't leave it as a number... you need to cast it to a string. Anything tha'ts a number needs to be cast or converted to a string before it can be concatenated to a string.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Lively Member

Thanks, I follow you now, I cast it as a string and I get a different error now, which I was mistaking for the same error! Thanks for your help!
    Andrew

Bottom line, anything that isn't astring needs to be cast as one in order for it to be concatenated into a larger string.

-tg