Thread: [RESOLVED] Trying to exit the program dynamically, but the underlying process continues running

Lively Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Trying to exit the program dynamically, but the underlying process continues running

[VS 2010 / Winforms]

Hey guys,

I've got a very simple project that only has 1 form. On form load, I am calling a custom function (in an external module) which checks to see if a specific condition is true (based on user's computer configuration).

If the condition is not true, then I need to exit the program right away. So I am calling MyBase.Close() if the condition is not true.

This successfully closes the GUI part of the program, but the underlying process is still running. And then every time I open/close the program again, it adds a new process (ie if I open and close the program 5 times, then there are 5 separate processes running).

Is there something else I need to call in addition to MyBase.Close() in order to kill everything? I also tried adding MyBase.Dispose() before MyBase.Close(), but that didn't make any difference.

This is my code for the form load...

Code:
    Public Class Form1

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

Dim Result As Boolean = TestFunction(Result)

If Result = False Then
                MyBase.Close()
            End If

End Sub

End Class
    My actual code for the custom function is a bit complex, but I made a minimum test case which has the same result (the underlying process never dies)...
    Code:
    Module Test

Function TestFunction(ByVal Result As Boolean)

Dim MsgBx As DialogResult = MessageBox.Show("Test", "Test", MessageBoxButtons.OKCancel)

If MsgBx = DialogResult.OK Then
                Return True
            Else
                Return False
            End If

End Function

End Module
    If you run the above code, and then click the 'Cancel' button every time the message box pops up, it closes the GUI, but the process continues running in the background.

How can I fix this?

Thanks!

Re: Trying to exit the program dynamically, but the underlying process continues runn

Application.Exit

Re: Trying to exit the program dynamically, but the underlying process continues runn

vb Code:
    1. Public Class Form1
    3.     Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
    4.         If PromptForClose() Then
    5.             Application.Exit()
    6.         End If
    7.     End Sub
    8. End Class
    10. Module Test
    12.     Friend Function PromptForClose() As Boolean
    13.         Dim message As String = "Would you like to close the application?"
    14.         Dim result As DialogResult = MessageBox.Show(message,
    15.                                                      Application.ProductName,
    16.                                                      MessageBoxButtons.OKCancel,
    17.                                                      MessageBoxIcon.Question,
    18.                                                      MessageBoxDefaultButton.Button1)
    19.         Return result = DialogResult.OK
    20.     End Function
    22. End Module

Here's a recent thread where the issue of 'how to end an application' gets discussed some:

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...ght=abruptness
    I always add to the reputation of those whose posts are helpful, and even occasionally to those whose posts aren't helpful but who obviously put forth a valiant effort. That is, when the system will allow it.
    My war with a browser-redirect trojan

Quote Originally Posted by dolot View Post
    Here's a recent thread where the issue of 'how to end an application' gets discussed some:

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...ght=abruptness
    Thats not relevant at all to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ident View Post
    Thats not relevant at all to this thread.
    I thought post #5 was.
    I always add to the reputation of those whose posts are helpful, and even occasionally to those whose posts aren't helpful but who obviously put forth a valiant effort. That is, when the system will allow it.
    My war with a browser-redirect trojan

Lively Member

Wow... so simple.

Thanks ident!