Thread: [RESOLVED] Need an explanation of a java function

Lively Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Need an explanation of a java function

Hello Java lovers,
    I have query about java hashcode method

what is difference in between hashcode and array.hashcode

what is the output of hashcode("a") and array of hashcode("a","b")

Actually i don't understand how array of hashcode works,thats why need explanation about those
    reply on various posts make you a power poster,may not being u a helpful poster,if u dn't understand how u help then dn't need to reply,it increases ur post count,but decreases ur worthness

Re: Need an explanation of a java function

I'm no Java expert (or user for that matter) but I'd have to guess that hashcode returns a single value - the hash of the passed in string... array.hashcode on the other hand would produce an array of hashcodes, one for each string parameter passed in.

But that's jsut my guess.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Lively Member

oh first of all,thanks to you for your response.

string a = "a" then a.hashcode = 97 that's a single parameter

then char a = new array {a,b} and a.hashcode means combination of both array hashcode value,or something

actually,i wanna convert java array hashcode to vb6 and i have single hashcode function

now i expecting whats going on array hashcode in java that i can convert for vb6
    reply on various posts make you a power poster,may not being u a helpful poster,if u dn't understand how u help then dn't need to reply,it increases ur post count,but decreases ur worthness

Lively Member

oh first of all,thanks to you for your response.

string a = "a" then a.hashcode = 97 that's a single parameter

then char a = new array {a,b} and a.hashcode means combination of both array hashcode value,or something

actually,i wanna convert java array hashcode to vb6 and i have single hashcode function

now i expecting whats going on array hashcode in java that i can convert for vb6

Addicted Member

Check the Java docs http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs...il/Arrays.html

String a = "a" per the java docs is returning the hashcode for the string object.

array.hashCode() per the java docs Returns a hash code based on the contents of the specified array.
    Last edited by smendoza; Mar 26th, 2014 at 05:30 PM.