Thread: my program can't delete an .exe file in Win7

my program can't delete an .exe file in Win7

I download my program to win7 computer; my program at startup is suppose to delete the "30day trial" setup file, but I have not been able to delete(Kill) the setup file per code; works great on xp computers. I'm sure it is a file security problem, but how do I solve it programmically? Thanks for any help

Re: my program can't delete an .exe file in Win7

Where is this "30 day trial" setup file located? Is your program running as Administrator when you attempt to delete the file? Can you tell us more about what your program is trying to accomplish?

(Note that you've posted in the wrong forum. Please let us know which programming language your app is coded so that your thread can be moved to the appropriate forum.)
    On Local Error Resume Next: If Not Empty Is Nothing Then Do While Null: ReDim i(True To False) As Currency: Loop: Else Debug.Assert CCur(CLng(CInt(CBool(False Imp True Xor False Eqv True)))): Stop: On Local Error GoTo 0
    Declare Sub CrashVB Lib "msvbvm60" (Optional DontPassMe As Any)

Thread moved from the 'CodeBank VB6' forum (which is for you to post working code examples, not questions) to the 'VB6 and earlier' forum

I suspect it will be useful to read the article Where should I store the files that my program uses/creates? from our Classic VB FAQs (in the FAQ forum)

Fanatic Member

your program hasn't administrator elevated privilege and the UAC is in a high level? if not, can't delete a file that is inside "program files", add a manifest for giving it administrator elevation when executing it.

other case, is that .EXE already running?, if it is an open process you can't erase it.

In XP the workaround was to rename it to a meaningless name, broking that way the app. In Win Vistas and later it don't let to rename an opened file.

other case, is you trying to access to a file that don't have the correct NTFS security rights?

Fanatic Member

A program installed on Windows 7 will go somewhere under C:\Program Files*.
    The installer is allowed to write to this location.
    Regular users are not and so cannot delete the file.

It's far, far better to simply disable functionality within the program after the trial period. That way, if and when the user registers the program, they only have to enter a registration key (still within the application) and don't have to re-install the whole program again.

Incidentally, using a manifest to force the program to run with elevated privileges is not the proper way to handle this. Unless they've chosen to install something, or clicked on a properly-"marked" control (i.e. one with the UAC shield icon on it), users should never see a U.A.C. challenge in their daily work. The whole point of U.A.C. is that it intervenes when any program tries to do something it "shouldn't" and so Windows asks the user "Is this OK?". If your users are seeing this popping up every day, then they'll get used to it, learn to ignore it and, eventually, install something that does some real damage to their machine.
    U.A.C is here to stay; learn to work with it.

Regards, Phill W.

I appreciate all replys; I appreciate Phil comment; I may have to consider the disable function instead of deleting the whole program when the "trial" period is up... After installing my program, I really wanted to remove the "trial setup file" from the computer...

Quote Originally Posted by Phill.W View Post
    A program installed on Windows 7 will go somewhere under C:\Program Files*.
    The installer is allowed to write to this location.
    Regular users are not and so cannot delete the file.

It's far, far better to simply disable functionality within the program after the trial period. That way, if and when the user registers the program, they only have to enter a registration key (still within the application) and don't have to re-install the whole program again.

Incidentally, using a manifest to force the program to run with elevated privileges is not the proper way to handle this. Unless they've chosen to install something, or clicked on a properly-"marked" control (i.e. one with the UAC shield icon on it), users should never see a U.A.C. challenge in their daily work. The whole point of U.A.C. is that it intervenes when any program tries to do something it "shouldn't" and so Windows asks the user "Is this OK?". If your users are seeing this popping up every day, then they'll get used to it, learn to ignore it and, eventually, install something that does some real damage to their machine.
    U.A.C is here to stay; learn to work with it.

Regards, Phill W.