dcsimg

Thread: Missing stdint.h file

PowerPoster

Missing stdint.h file

I haven't done C in 100 years so I have forgotton almost everything I ever knew; it's kind of like starting from the beginning but I needed to go back to it because I have a C project that I need to compile because it is part of another project I am working on in VB6 and all I have is the .EXE of this C application and I need the compiled source so I can make necessary changes to it

I just installed MS Visual Studio 6.0 for VC6.0.

I get a bunch of errors when I try to compile the C project because the project could not find some header files.

The C project I am trying to compile probably was originally done on a UNIX system and included header files that do not come with VC6.0.

Here is a list of the header files that I do not have with my C compiler:

stdint.h
    unistd.h
    sys/times.h
    sys/time.h
    sys/cdefs.h
    sys/types.h
    sys/stat.h
    sys/select.h
    sys/termio.h
    sys/ioctl.h
    sys/filio.h
    sys/conf.h
    sys/wait.h
    sys/ipc.h
    sys/shm.h
    bsd/termios.h

Can any of the above be substituted with headers from VC6?

Any one know where to get these files?
    Last edited by jmsrickland; Mar 10th, 2014 at 05:45 PM.

Anything I post is an example only and is not intended to be the only solution, the total solution nor the final solution to your request nor do I claim that it is. If you find it useful then it is entirely up to you to make whatever changes necessary you feel are adequate for your purposes.

Re: Missing stdint.h file

Those are Unix headers.

I think your best bet to compile the code with minimal changes would be to use Cygwin. The resulting file will dependent on the Cygwin dll.

The alternative would be to remove the missing headers and work through the errors replacing Unix calls with calls to the Windows API. This could be quite painful as they are quite different beasts. If you go that route I recommend trying the latest express edition of visual studio over VC6.0, it will make your debugging easier and get you the stdint header.
    W o t . S i g

PowerPoster

Interesting that you should mention cygwin.dll as the very C application I'm trying to compile requires cygwin.dll for the EXE. I no nothing about the dll only that it is required to run the EXE.

How would I go about using the dll in my compilation of this application?

Anything I post is an example only and is not intended to be the only solution, the total solution nor the final solution to your request nor do I claim that it is. If you find it useful then it is entirely up to you to make whatever changes necessary you feel are adequate for your purposes.

Sorry for delay replying.

Cygwin.dll provides a POSIX like layer that sits on top of the Windows API. It makes it possible to compile applications written for Linux on Windows.

Rather than trying to build the project with VC6.0 it might be easier to install Cygwin and use tools that come with it. I suggest you have a look through the FAQ to get an idea of what's involved. If the project includes a MakeFile building it could be as easy as navigating to the directory and typing 'make'.

Good luck
    W o t . S i g