dcsimg

Thread: Will app running in system tray prompt user for admin rights again at reboot login?

Question Will app running in system tray prompt user for admin rights again at reboot login?

I am creating an app that requires admin rights for several functions (ex: create restore point, stop/restart services, move files) and will be minimized to the system tray to run continuously. It will be configured to launch automatically upon reboot and continue to reside in the system tray (as, for example, an antivirus app would). If the app requests, and is granted, admin rights upon first launch (before being minimized to the tray), will it prompt again for admin rights at every system restart (bad), OR will it just start with admin rights and minimize to the tray without user intervention (good)?

If it will prompt again for admin rights at every system restart, that is not good. Is there a method around this? How do A/V apps and other drivers bypass this requirement? A COA? What might that cost? Anyone have 1st hand experience with Certificates? Is it cost prohibitive to a one-man development shop?

Re: Will app running in system tray prompt user for admin rights again at reboot logi

You will get the prompt at every startup... unless you do what antivirus apps etc do, which is to create a Service (basically a program without a user interface) to do the admin based tasks, and a normal app for just the user interface. Setting up the service (probably while installing your software) will require a prompt.

I'm afraid I can't help on the details of how you would create the service, or interact with it from your UI app.

Re: Will app running in system tray prompt user for admin rights again at reboot logi

Thanks si_the_geek, I will look further into the service idea. I need this to run unattended 99% of the time. I'm sure there is info somewhere how to keep this running unattended after 1st admin approval.

The idea is for the user to set preferences and minimize, then forget about it and it just does its thing forever even thru reboots.