Thread: VB6 Learning Edition - Can it compile DLL's?

VB6 Learning Edition - Can it compile DLL's?

I know it can compile an exe, but I'm wondering if it can combine a dll. Anyone know?

PowerPoster

Re: VB6 Learning Edition - Can it compile DLL's?

No idea, if you have a copy then it should be easy enough to check and see if it does and if not then not sure the question really matters as I do not think that version is available anywhere.

I have never used it or even saw it. Only worked with Professional and Enterprise editions

I don't have a copy and that is the exact reason for my ask. I have an Active X dll that I wrote in VB6 many, many years ago that needs a simple update. I no longer have a copy of VB6, but I still have the source code from the project. Buying VB6 Professional on ebay is $300. I can get a copy of VB6 Learning Edition much cheaper and I'm hoping I can go that route. I need to know if I can use it to compile a dll before purchasing it though.

From what I understand the Learning Edition cannot compile anything (you can only run code from the IDE).

However, like DataMiser I've never used it myself.

I was thinking the same thing. I know it doesn't compile EXEs... what I found was a lot of conflicting information and confusion with the Academic version. Some said yes you can create OCXs and DLLs with LE... some said that you can but it will only work on that PC, others said, no, you can't compile anything. They all seemed to agree that there are a number of things missing from the LE vs Standard version. $300 isn't bad. That's actually a pretty reasonable rate... down from the $600+ it used to be. Unless the LE version is like $20, I'd pass on it and go with the Standard version. Even if LE does compile DLLs, if there is somehting that you're using that isn't included in the install... you're going to be shelling out $300 anyways for that Standard. At least if you start there, then you stand a reasonably good shot at things "just working".

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Microsoft sure didn't make it easy on us...

Couple things.

1. Is there a difference between Visual Basic Deluxe Learning Edition 6.0 and Visual Basic 6.0 Working Model? I found a copy of the working model and it does not let you compile, but other places I've read that the learning edition will let you compile exe. I just haven't read anywhere about compiling a dll. The Learning Edition comes in the back of some old text books. I've found a couple on amazon for $20 or so.

2. I originally developed my application in VB6 Professional Service Pack 4. IF I buck up and spend the $300 to buy VB6 Professional on ebay, where do I get service pack 4? Is that free to download somewhere?

Thanks for the support. This forum is great!

PowerPoster

You should get the full Professional Version

No need for SP4 you should use SP6 and yes that is free to download from Microsoft.

I would not expect to be able to compile anything with the learning addition and even if you could do so it would not be legal to distribute it.

Alright. Time to buck up and spend the $300. Thanks for the help guys.

Frenzied Member

If it is just a simple update, one of us could do it for free.
    I have VB6 SP5 (I stuck with 5 so I never have to distribute the VB6 runtime).
    I have never created or edited an Active X dll so you may want to hold off for another member to make the offer of free help ?

Rob