Thread: Media Manager UI

Question Media Manager UI

Hello Community-

I am very new to VB.net, Visual Studio, and these forums. If there is already a post on this please just redirect me, my searches turned up nothing, but perhaps I am just using the wrong terminology.

I want to create a Media Manager that flows similar to netflix but for all of my media files.

A few bits I am looking for:

VB.net Skins/UI I can use from.
    Full Screen Coding
    Launch on startup
    Reading media from a jump drive or local hard drive.

I feel like this wouldn't be a completely new idea, and there should at least me something out there I can use as reference.

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks-

Re: Media Manager UI

Quote Originally Posted by elgiemd View Post
    Hello Community-

I am very new to VB.net, Visual Studio, and these forums. If there is already a post on this please just redirect me, my searches turned up nothing, but perhaps I am just using the wrong terminology.

I want to create a Media Manager that flows similar to netflix but for all of my media files.

A few bits I am looking for:

VB.net Skins/UI I can use from.
    Full Screen Coding
    Launch on startup
    Reading media from a jump drive or local hard drive.

I feel like this wouldn't be a completely new idea, and there should at least me something out there I can use as reference.

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks-
    If you are completely new to VB.net, I highly suggest you do not do this. The first thing you suggested is not an easy feat by any stretch of the imagination. The next three aren't horribly difficult, but that doesn't even cover the harder parts like actually doing the management.

I suggest you take a few days to lay out what exactly this manager is supposed to do; figure out the scope of the program and write it out on paper.
    I also suggest you tackle a few online tutorials to get a grasp for the language. VB.net (really .NET) is massive; there's a lot inside. However, you're new. Don't bite off more than you can chew.

Quote Originally Posted by formlesstree4 View Post
    If you are completely new to VB.net, I highly suggest you do not do this. The first thing you suggested is not an easy feat by any stretch of the imagination. The next three aren't horribly difficult, but that doesn't even cover the harder parts like actually doing the management.

I suggest you take a few days to lay out what exactly this manager is supposed to do; figure out the scope of the program and write it out on paper.
    I also suggest you tackle a few online tutorials to get a grasp for the language. VB.net (really .NET) is massive; there's a lot inside. However, you're new. Don't bite off more than you can chew.
    What I was hoping is that a open source UI or skin was available that I could study the background how it worked, and then modify it from there.

Then once there I can begin to map out the program. I have spent a little time creating some solidworks API.

I like to work on a fun project that takes me through a lot of aspects of VB to help me learn.

I could make a UI from scratch, but I can't imagine there aren't any open source UI's out there for vb.net that I can manipulate. I just don't know how to find them.

I second formlesstree4's post, but here you have something for the skins and the startup part...
    Last edited by Arve K.; Mar 4th, 2014 at 01:33 PM.
    Arve K.

Please mark your thread as resolved and add reputation to those who helped you solve your problem
    Disclaimer: I am not a professional programmer