Thread: Vb6 Program in windows 7 and 8 !?

Question Vb6 Program in windows 7 and 8 !?

Hey guys ....

I completed one of my programs in vb6 couple days ago ... . When i want to start using program in windows 7 or 8 , it shows Run-time error 5003 , unexpected error!i think that the problem is because of program dependency ! i tried solving the problem by using vb6 package tool ,which helps me to investigate dependency of program , but again the problem resists!!! i also installed vb6 service pack 6 ...

I was wondering if anyone could help me solve this.

Thanks for your further help...
    Last edited by GlowingVB; Feb 28th, 2014 at 08:02 AM.

Addicted Member

Re: Vb6 Program in windows 7 and 8 !?

Can you give more information of your program?

Like which DBMS it is using, name of third party ActiveX used in it, etc.

It will help in giving you better support.

I have quite a few small products that run really very well in Win7 and 8!

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by GlowingVB View Post
    Hey guys ....

I completed one of my programs in vb6 couple days ago ... . When i want to start using program in windows 7 or 8 , it shows Run-time error 5003 , unexpected error!
    As yogiyang says, you will need to provide more details.

Have you tried disabling UAC (User Acccount Control) ? (or right click your program icon and choose 'Run as administrator')

Addicted Member

Personally I always disable UAC and also set my windows to Test Mode so I can easily install any device drive as well as incompatible software without a much a-do.

My program includes : Microsoft Internet transfer control 6.0(MSINET.OCX),Windows Media player (wmp.dll) , Microsoft MAPI control 6.0 (MSMAPI32.ocx) and default tools which vb6 itself provides them (Like labels , Textboxs and ...) .

Thanks ...

Frenzied Member

Depending on where you are trying to install the program, you could have a permission problem. When using the standard VB6 install package, a log file is maintained in the install directory called ST6UNST.LOG. The operating system uses this log file to uninstall the program, but it can provide valuable clues as to where it encountered problems during the install.

J.A. Coutts

Lively Member

The way I read the opening post was that the program is installed, but errors when trying to run it. But I may be wrong.
    GlowingVB, could you clarify:
    1) did the program install apparently OK ?
    2) Is the error 5003 when you are installing or when you try to run ?
    3) Have you disabled UAC ?

Hi , The program is installed completely and successfully , the 5003 error comes when the program starts working .

Would you please explain more about UAC ? What is it ? how can i disable it ?

Thanks

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by yogiyang View Post
    Personally I always disable UAC and also set my windows to Test Mode so I can easily install any device drive as well as incompatible software without a much a-do.
    Uh, yeah. Well this is about the worst advice I've ever seen here. Thanks for running your zombied PC with its 18 spambots spewing crap to the Internet.

Don't do this.

Even if that "fixed" the problem it doesn't really fix anything and leaves you more vulnerable to malware. If you can't provide useful information there isn't a thing we can do to help you here.

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by GlowingVB View Post
    Hi , The program is installed completely and successfully , the 5003 error comes when the program starts working .

Would you please explain more about UAC ? What is it ? how can i disable it ?

Thanks
    UAC (User Account Control) is a security feature added to Windows Vista and later.
    It can prevent software that worked on earlier versions of Windows (or worked on PCs with UAC disabled) from running.

For example if you have a file in your program files folder that you try to write to (such as an .ini file or a database) you may find this causes an error. In this case it is best to modify your software to expect the file elsewhere.

To test if this is the problem, you could try right-clicking on the shortcut to your program and choosing 'Run as administrator' - if this works it could be UAC that is the problem.

You could also try disabling UAC, but as dilletante pointed out this isn't a good idea (and may be against policy etc.).
    (You can change UAC in Control Panel>User Accounts>Change User Account Control Settings).

Running program as administrator doesn't solve anything !
    Last edited by GlowingVB; Mar 2nd, 2014 at 12:04 AM.

Thanks for your information , Sten 2005.

dilettante , What do you mean by more information ? I have written all necessary information!