Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Forum Template / Layout Change

Re: Forum Template / Layout Change

Quote Originally Posted by brad jones View Post
    Posting ads between each post is something that has been discussed and is a feature of vBulletin. I see a lot of sites do that. I've seen this on many forums and consider it much worse than the right rail. That is, however, an option.
    I've use a site that eventually introduced this. In their case ads come between every 3 posts or so and while it was annoying at first, you eventually get used to it. Ads between posts in my opinion, is preferable to the right rail.

Quote Originally Posted by dclamp View Post
    What about the possibility of when we click the "expand to full width" it stays shut for an hour. Using cookies, just have it active for an hour (or more/less). Its better than having to click it on every page.
    I like this idea too.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    I haven't seen any size glitch, not even on the link that Niya mentioned. I do remember seeing something like that in the past, but a long time back. Is this browser related? I'm using Chrome, at the moment, and can't find any size issues.
    I'm using FireFox 16.0.1
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Could you guys please look into this wide page problem. It makes posting a real chore.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    Could you guys please look into this wide page problem. It makes posting a real chore.
    We are.

With this thread, it is a result of two wide images being put into the thread. We are looking to make a maximum width on images. That will resolve one issue (the issue for page one of this thread).
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Please don't forget to fix Vb.net & Code tag windows, they are not wide enough!
    Also note a long line of text inside a PHP tag window will not have a horizontal scroll bar and forces the whole page to have a horiz bar.
    Thanks!
    P.S. Tested with FireFox v27.0.1

Code:
    MessageBox.Show("We are very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very sorry!"  & Environment.NewLine & "The web page you requested is currently busy updating and unavailable." & Environment.NewLine & 
    "The statistics update will finish in about " & timeToUpdate, "Updates In Progress Please Wait!", MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Information)
    vb.net Code:
    1. MessageBox.Show("We are very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very sorry!"  & Environment.NewLine & "The web page you requested is currently busy updating and unavailable." & Environment.NewLine &
    2.  "The statistics update will finish in about " & timeToUpdate, "Updates In Progress Please Wait!", MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Information)

PHP Code:
    MessageBox.Show("We are very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very sorry!"  
    Environment.NewLine 
    "The web page you requested is currently busy updating and unavailable." Environment.NewLine 
    "The statistics update will finish in about " &
    timeToUpdate"Updates In Progress Please Wait!"MessageBoxButtons.OKMessageBoxIcon.Information
    Last edited by brad jones; Feb 24th, 2014 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Broke PHP line. Point made.

Those code boxes are also b/o in Chrome.

Nice...The first page of this thread is no longer stretched out but the second one still is. Nice work guys.

Oh and I think I may have found a solution to that sidebar thing. When the tech guys finish fixing this wide page glitch, I should be able to go on as usually as if nothing ever changed.

Quote Originally Posted by dclamp View Post
    Those code boxes are also b/o in Chrome.
    b/o??????

brought over?

body odor?

big object?

broken open?

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Fanatic Member

I wish that brad jones could possibly remove this right side advertizement option on permanent basis, because I always received praised from my friends about this site ( about last layout, not this one, ). its making me difficult to view the site, already i was facing IBM Ad everytime i open website and viewing it on different places as well. Comparing our vb.fourms.com to others, may not suppose to be the purpose, rather to keep the members and visitors at their ease in reading and surfing. Dear Jones,
    but there is a link that will let you expand the current view if there is a wide code listing or something.
    Will this be permanently there to hide the ads???

Fanatic Member

@ Brad J
    Posting ads between each post is something that has been discussed and is a feature of vBulletin. I see a lot of sites do that. I've seen this on many forums and consider it much worse than the right rail. That is, however, an option.
    Oh Please, this must not be the option, because almost all forums, which i have visited with similar layout, makes it worse to figure out that which one is answer and which one is Ad...

@dclamp
    What about the possibility of when we click the "expand to full width" it stays shut for an hour. Using cookies, just have it active for an hour (or more/less). Its better than having to click it on every page.
    I would embellish this idea more by saying that if user clicks on the expand to full button, so it disappears but an arrow key to right side always remain, if it is clicked so the ads will come out again to their original position. This could also be set like this that if a user don't want to see it permanently, so he/she will click on it and it would disappear permanently, as long as the page is refreshed.

I was just doing research on a cute little add-on I heard about a couple years back called GreaseMonkey that allows you to manipulate content on incoming web pages. It should be simple enough to write a small script to close that side panel after the web page has been received by the browser. This seems to be the most promising solution to this. If it works as well as I think it does, I should be able to browse these forums free of that panel, just as it was before they added it. I have a couple things I have to finish first then I would have time to experiment with it.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

It should be simple enough to write a small script to close that side panel after the web page has been received by the browser
    Careful, you're pretty close to the AUP on that one.

I have to say that it's not causing any particular problem for me (mostly becuase I'm on decent desktop monitors) but that amount of wasted whitespace does seem a little crazy. On any limited size screen that's going to represent a significant wasted resource.

And pleeeeeaase don't stick adverts between the posts. That'll look horrible.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Quote Originally Posted by szlamany View Post
    b/o??????

brought over?

body odor?

big object?

broken open?
    Bad Order...

I think that is a direct violation of the AUP myself - that's why I avoiding suggesting it a couple of days ago.

It should be made so that once you SCROLL the AD off the top of the page it "smartly" increases to full width auto-magically. There must be some creative web coders available to Brad and the team...

@dclamp - cross posted with you - BAD ORDER still doesn't make a ton of sense to me

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

I think that is a direct violation of the AUP
    Absolutely correct.

It should be made so that once you SCROLL the AD off the top of the page it "smartly" increases to full width auto-magically. There must be some creative web coders available to Brad and the team...
    The layout of the vBulletin software used to be done with tables, so we were stuck with the underlying white space. This has been changed more to styles. I'm not sure if there is a a way to get the wrap now or not. We have a few vBulletin experts on this forum that might have some suggestions.

As a note - we can also add some other stuff to that right rail. For example, we could add a list of "Common answers to newbies" with a list of links to posts that have answers to the most common VB questions. That's just one idea.
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

I'm not sure having a tamper/greasemonkey script to auto click the collapse button would be against the AUP/TOS. You're not modifying the site in the least bit, you're simply automating a task that the end user could do while coming to the page.

@dclamp - cross posted with you - BAD ORDER still doesn't make a ton of sense to me
    We use the term at work to describe equipment that is broken or no longer in working order...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=b%2Fo

I'm not speaking for Brad here - I personally feel that this item in the AUP

You will not attempt to access any protected sections of the sites or Forums, nor make use of any hacks, cracks, bug exploits, etc. to bypass or modify the features of the forum software at any Quinstreet Inc site.
    Means that you do not bypass a feature of the site (giving ads to users - which is part of the bread-and-butter of this operation) - by some kind of hack.

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Means that you do not bypass a feature of the site (giving ads to users - which is part of the bread-and-butter of this operation) - by some kind of hack.
    The thing is, you're not bypassing anything with the script. The side bar gets displayed, rendered, and then the script is simply clicking the same button you would click if you did it manually.

It also isn't modifying it, because it is using the built in function of collapsing it to hide it.

I see it as a grey area, however, obviously if the admins says it is against AUP, I can't really argue with that

Off Topic for this thread, but to respond to the last few comments....

The question of ad blockers and what you can or cannot say about them comes up on a regular basis. Here is my stance on the topic (subject to change at any time, and does not necessarily reflect the owners or anyone else's opinions... disclaimer, disclaimer, disclaimer....)

(Edit: Automated scripts to move or hide things fall into this same category)

Everyone realizes that this site makes its money from the ads and other elements that run on the right side and other areas of the forum. Those elements pay for the existence of this site. As such, it is important for them to continue in order for this site to continue.

Blocking those elements, prevents them from being seen.

You can argue that the change most ad blockers make happen on the client side and therefor the ad servers still get their tallies. That is not always true. It depends on how the ad unit is set up. In most cases intercepting the HTML and not displaying it will still give the server side the impression that the ad was displayed when it was not.

There are a couple of problems with that. First is that most ads you see are not CPM-based. Revenue isn't generated until the ad is clicked. Thus if the ad is never seen, then it has no chance of being clicked. If it has no chance of being clicked, there is no chance of revenue. The second, and more important issue, is that even if we were doing CPM (display) fees, it would be dishonest for VBF to count a view that didn't happen. Thus if we know something is being blocked, we are not going to want to bill our client for that. The third and worst issue with this is that if a client comes to the forum and sees that everyone is blocking and that blocking is supported, they are going to question why they should advertise on the site. If they stop advertising, this site ceases to exist - regardless of the amount of traffic!

So what does all of this mean?

In my opinion - if you block ads, I'll likely never know. So don't tell me. We are not likely to look at this closely until a substantial percentage of people block ads (so that we can see that the number of displayed ads is well below the number of pageviews). At that time, we'll do things to get around ad blockers.

If you get on the forum and say you are blocking ads, they you are telling us you are not supporting the site, and thus that is like telling a cop that you are using illegal drugs. You are asking to be arrested. You are asking for the cop to search you.... Simple solution - don't say anything.

If you tell others on the forum how to block ads or suggest they block them, then you're now telling other people how to block the revenue stream, your risking the clients this site has, and potentially doing serious damage to the forum. That's not good - thus can't be tolerated. Using the drug analogy, that's like telling the cop that not only are you using drugs, but you are going to show everyone in the neighborhood how to get drugs - aka you've become a drug dealer. Drug dealers tend to get booted from the neighborhood quickly!

Bottom line - if you talk about blocking ads, you are likely to get ticketed or booted from the VBF neighborhood!

Ramble over!

Brad!
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC

Off topic on my off topic -
    (my previous post used drugs as an analogy. In no way do I support the use of illegal drugs. Just say No.)

Are you affiliated with developer.com? Because you keep mentioning aup so frequently...

Actually that was the first time I ever looked at the AUP.

When funky mentioned it I wanted to see what actually might apply - and that made sense.

Regardless - AD's are here for a very good reason and everyone ranting to REMOVE them isn't constructive to an actual solution that we might all feel works (consensus - is that even possible here?).

On my 22 and 26 inch monitors the wasted right-rail doesn't mean a thing to me - on my little Surface 2 Pro is was a bit hard to take - nothing I could not accept.

I'm currently working with a client as a project manager approving a new website they are having developed. FIRST NAME is 6 inches away from LAST NAME on the registration page (left to right) - seems the coders took the "large horizontal bread-crumb like" menu at the top of the page to be the "page width" of all other aspects of the page. User has to scroll with the horizontal bar to get to LAST NAME! That's garbage, imo - ranting doesn't make it go away.

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

To me your question was rhetorical - thus not needing an answer.

I shared about the experience I'm having with one of my customers because it's quite counter to what Brad's got going here. We were not asked about the page layout by this vendor - it was shown to us as a finished product. That's not acceptable and it won't be accepted. Ranting won't make that happen - it's going to have to be a coming-together-of-the-minds to discuss bad layout choices and how to proceed to a better place.

I feel that Brad is genuinely reaching out to us all to work towards a common ground.

btw - what size screen do you have on your development box (or two screens if you them)?

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by RhinoBull View Post
    Are you affiliated with developer.com? Because you keep mentioning aup so frequently...
    He has no business/job affiliation.
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC

A couple points:

1) I have never understood the whole ad-driven internet. It just amazes me that this is a viable revenue stream, but it is and I can live with that. I guess it just comes down to the volume coupled with the fact that it is so difficult to determine the impact of advertising on actual sales. Effectively, sites like this are supported by a broad-based, semi-optional, tax on business for which they get something of unknown value in return. And all we have to do is not block the ads. It's simply amazing to me, but I'm not going to object.

2) I already stated that I thought the wasted white space on the right side of the screen seemed a bit silly, but I'd like to back off that point. While it does seem likely that some kind of styling could reclaim the space by stretching the posts to the right once you have scrolled the ads off the top of the screen, and it might be worth a try, but I think people would find that to be a cure worse than the problem. I don't have all that much artistic sense, but posts that are different widths at different locations seems like it would be harder on people than the white space. For that reason, I favor the idea of making more use of the white space, including adding things such as Brad suggested, or even more ads, if i mattered, but I really doubt that extending responses into that space once below the filler would be visually pleasing.

3) I GREATLY prefer the right side rail to ads between posts. You might be able to style ads between posts such that they are clearly not part of the posts, though this is not done on any site that uses such ads, but what always trips me up with such sites is figuring out where the thread ends. If the ad is big enough, there's always a bit of doubt as to whether you have reached the end or not. It really breaks up the flow of traversing the thread.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

What about placing the ads under the avatars. Lots of space there to put all kinds of things.

I'm not sure if it's to do with the change but I'm noticing that I'm really struggling to read code snippets now and don't feel like I used to. I noticed that any content in code tags is now wrapping and I can't remember whether or not it did before. Either way it makes them horrible to read. Is there any chance that code tags could result in a scrolled window rather than a wrapped one?

Also, I don't believe for a second that Brad doesn't do drugs becuase there's no way he could put up with us lot unless he was high.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    I noticed that any content in code tags is now wrapping and I can't remember whether or not it did before. Either way it makes them horrible to read
    I think it became like this after the change, because I can't remember the wrapping either.

Also, when we click the expand-"button", the width of the code box doesn't change on neither IE (11) nor Firefox (27), but it does when I'm viewing the forum on my Android phone (Chrome is it, the default browser?)...

Off-topic: Is it grammatically correct to use neither...nor there?

* The image is scaled down, but you can easily see both the wrapping and the fixed size of the code box.
    Name:  vbforums wrapping and codebox width.png
Views: 386
Size:  49.4 KB
    Last edited by Arve K.; Feb 25th, 2014 at 05:47 AM.
    Arve K.

Please mark your thread as resolved and add reputation to those who helped you solve your problem
    Disclaimer: I am not a professional programmer

Is it grammatically correct to use neither...nor there?
    Grammatically correct but logically incorrect. The Neither-Nor made the statement a negative which you'd already done by using "doesn't". So you introduced a double negative which means it's fine on both IE and Firfox. Which'll be good news for Brad because it means he doesn't have to fix anything

Hahaha, ok
    Arve K.

Please mark your thread as resolved and add reputation to those who helped you solve your problem

I've been getting the full-page ad in batches, over the last two days. I'll see it for three or four pages in a row, then it will go away for a long time. Pretty odd behavior, really.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker
    3. I GREATLY prefer the right side rail to ads between posts. You might be able to style ads between posts such that they are clearly not part of the posts, though this is not done on any site that uses such ads, but what always trips me up with such sites is figuring out where the thread ends. If the ad is big enough, there's always a bit of doubt as to whether you have reached the end or not. It really breaks up the flow of traversing the thread.
    But when browsing the forum on my tablet I'd rather would have the ads between the posts.
    I can hardly read the forum/thread lists on my tablet in landscape mode.

As I've stated before, I also prefer ads between posts. Much more so than that side rail.

Ads between the posts will probably be better - one reason is when you click "go to last post" link and if thread is lengthy you may need to scroll it all up to close the right rail.
    That's going to be (actually already is) more annoying than ads between the posts. On mobile devices this is quite noticeable.

The only issue I have seen with ads between posts is the nefarious ads that can popup; specifically, ads which look like content. Likewise, ads below avatars may appear to suggest that the poster specifically endorses a particular ad/product (this happens with inline ads to a certain extent). Inlining can be obnoxious - and one of the reasons adblocking software exists - ads overwhelming the content.

There is a reason that web sites have access to the device the page is being viewed on - ain't technology wonderful - modify the page format based on the device. If it's a desktop, then have ads to the right (a wide screen requires a narrowing of content, anyway, to make text more readable). Inline the ads on a mobile device.

However, I don't know how sophisticated the forum software is; does the site already do this?
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

Quote Originally Posted by _powerade_ View Post
    I think it became like this after the change, because I can't remember the wrapping either.
    I don't remember code wrapping before but now I see the wrapping in IE. In Firefox there is no wrapping but instead it adds a horizontal scrollbar, I'm not sure which is more annoying.

On another forum that uses the same forum software/version I noticed their code windows resize to the width of the posting area just like quotes do, so its not an impossible thing to fix, but seeing how it took this forum about a year to fix the line numbering in the vb.net code windows I'm not going to holding my breath LOL!

@Edgemeal,

The solution from this thread still works, at least when using [HIGHLIGHT=vb.net][/HIGHLIGHT].
    Arve K.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast