Thread: Search Database

Search Database

Hi,

I need to find a way to search my database - however, I haven't ever made a search before and only have an idea of what (I think) I need to do?

It'd be great if someone could help me out or get me started along the right lines?

I'm thinking I need to do something like this?

1. User enters search criteria (e.g. into a text box or input box)
    2. Code takes users entry and puts it into a variable RecipeSearchText
    3. SQL goes to the database and looks for all matches – puts them into the dataset
    4. Combobox then filled with all matches as the display member, and the recipeID as value member.

Yet I still have NO IDEA where to start coding with this haha!

Re: Search Database

I would suggest that you follow the Database FAQ and/or Data Walkthroughs links in my signature below to learn something about data access.

I haven't ever made a search before
    To be honest... that's not true... I was just in your other thread... you do know how to do a search... you just may not realize it.
    It's all in the where clause... even something like this:
    Code:
    WHERE ID = 3
    Is a search... it's searching for the record where the ID is 3.

So what you need is to search for all records where a field is LIKE the value in RecipeSearchText...

Code:
    WHERE yourRecipieField like '%' + " & RecipeSearchText & " + '%'"
    just because JM slapped my hand a moment ago for using concatenation, here's the parameterized version

Code:
    WHERE yourRecipieField like '%' + @SearchText + '%'"
    Then you can use .AddWithValue to add RecipeSearchText to the parameters collection.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Yeah when I posted it... didn't have a scooby haha!

Cheers TJ, you've been a big help with this