Thread: [RESOLVED] [VB2010] - how build a setup with 2 exe's and a startup shortcut?

Resolved [RESOLVED] [VB2010] - how build a setup with 2 exe's and a startup shortcut?

seems that my programs aren't working in other pc's, maybe, i belive, is about the SQL or something.
    so can i create 1 setup with 2 diferent exe's and with 1 shortcut for startup?
    VB6 2D Sprite control

To live is difficult, but we do it.

Re: [VB2010] - how build a setup with 2 exe's and a startup shortcut?

This isn't really a VB.NET question. If you can tell us what the errors are then we might be able to help with that but the question you have asked belongs in the Deployment forum, where I've asked the mods to move it.

If you build a Setup project then you have it install whatever you like so the answer to your question is yes. You can add project outputs from any projects in the same solution or just specify EXE files.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    This isn't really a VB.NET question. If you can tell us what the errors are then we might be able to help with that but the question you have asked belongs in the Deployment forum, where I've asked the mods to move it.

If you build a Setup project then you have it install whatever you like so the answer to your question is yes. You can add project outputs from any projects in the same solution or just specify EXE files.
    i select the exe's files(are 2) and the 2 mdf files. the setup can see the dependency files?
    like SQL... i'm speaking these, because i use the mdf file
    Last edited by joaquim; Jan 31st, 2014 at 12:24 PM.
    VB6 2D Sprite control

Thread moved to the 'Application Deployment' forum, which is where questions about installing/distributing your software belong

Quote Originally Posted by joaquim View Post
    i select the exe's files(are 2) and the 2 mdf files. the setup can see the dependency files?
    like SQL... i'm speaking these, because i use the mdf file
    the setup is going to see what you tell it to see. So if there are files you need that are not a part of your project normally, then they need to be included.

Now, if you're talking about needing somehting like SQL Express installed as part of the process, you can set that up as a prerequisite in the setup project and either include it in your setup (I think you need to first down load it to a specific folder for that to work) or you can have it get it from a pre-defined location on the internet (it'll know where that is at) or you can have it tell the user to go to the internet, download and install it themselves. If that's not what you meant, then you'll need to explain it a little more.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

When you add project outputs to a Setup project then that's going to include all the files that that project outputs. For a primary output, that will be the EXE, the config file and any references where Copy Local was set to True. If you're just adding an EXE file directly then it's up to you to also add any dependencies. Dependent libraries must either be installed in the GAC or included in the program folder. As tg says, things like the .NET Framework itself and SQL Server Express an be installed automatically, either from your distribution folder or downloaded automatically, by checking them in the Prerequisites dialogue.

thanks to both.
    for finish: can i add the uninstall shortcut to menu shortcut?
    i add the menu start folder for put the shortcuts, can i add the uninstall too?
    VB6 2D Sprite control

thanks to both.
    for finish: can i add the uninstall shortcut to menu shortcut?
    i add the menu start folder for put the shortcuts, can i add the uninstall too?
    I don't think that there's any automatic way to do that but I'm fairly sure I've seen a manual way detailed somewhere on the web so a search should probably turn up a way to do it.

I don't think that there's any automatic way to do that but I'm fairly sure I've seen a manual way detailed somewhere on the web so a search should probably turn up a way to do it.
    heres a nice tutorial: http://danielheth.com/2012/05/28/vis...r-application/
    thanks
    sorry but i continue confuse with just 1 thing:
    the VS tell me the dependencies:
    - Microsoft .NET Framework;
    - Microsoft.VisualBasic..... (1 control that i use).

i add the 2 mdf files to the setup project. the setup didn't tell me something about them... so i don't need to horry about install in other pc, right? or i must prerequesit the SQL Express?
    (sorry the question, but i continue a little confuse )
    VB6 2D Sprite control

i add the 2 mdf files to the setup project. the setup didn't tell me something about them... so i don't need to horry about install in other pc, right? or i must prerequesit the SQL Express?
    (sorry the question, but i continue a little confuse )
    SQL Server is not a direct dependency for the application as such because the application will run fine without it. It will successfully TRY to make a database connection but it will fail because there's no database server, but that is not part of the application itself. If you are using a SQL Server database then you need SQL Server installed somewhere accessible. If you're using an MDF data file that you attach on demand then you need SQL Server Express installed locally. You can use the Prerequisites dialogue to ensure that SQL Server Express will be installed with your app if it's not already present.

SQL Server is not a direct dependency for the application as such because the application will run fine without it. It will successfully TRY to make a database connection but it will fail because there's no database server, but that is not part of the application itself. If you are using a SQL Server database then you need SQL Server installed somewhere accessible. If you're using an MDF data file that you attach on demand then you need SQL Server Express installed locally. You can use the Prerequisites dialogue to ensure that SQL Server Express will be installed with your app if it's not already present.
    thanks for all
    i choose the: SQL Server 2008 Express Prerequisites. now i can finish the uninstall shortcut for use it
    if, by some reason, the computer don't have network, how can add that Prerequisites to setup?
    VB6 2D Sprite control

thanks for all
    i choose the: SQL Server 2008 Express Prerequisites. now i can finish the uninstall shortcut for use it
    if, by some reason, the computer don't have network, how can add that Prerequisites to setup?
    The Prerequisites dialogue gives the option of installing packages from the publisher's web site, the same location as your application or another location of your choosing. If the user is downloading the installer from the web then use the first option so that those who already have a prerequisite installed will not download it again needlessly. If you're providing the installer on physical media then you'd go for the second option so noone needs to download anything extra. You might use the final option if you wanted to put one copy of all prerequisites on the local network.

The Prerequisites dialogue gives the option of installing packages from the publisher's web site, the same location as your application or another location of your choosing. If the user is downloading the installer from the web then use the first option so that those who already have a prerequisite installed will not download it again needlessly. If you're providing the installer on physical media then you'd go for the second option so noone needs to download anything extra. You might use the final option if you wanted to put one copy of all prerequisites on the local network.
    but, for example, i can download load the FrameWorks and that DLL(visual basic power packs) and the SQL Express and use it with a diferent type of uninstaller, right?(just a thot for future installers, for not use network)
    VB6 2D Sprite control

I don't know for sure but I don't think that your installer will uninstall those prerequisites. They have their own uninstallers and may yet be needed for other applications.

I don't know for sure but I don't think that your installer will uninstall those prerequisites. They have their own uninstallers and may yet be needed for other applications.
    sorry.. i did 1 mistake with my english. but you answer what i need.
    the installer, like Inno Setup, can install the prerequisites. i just need join that 2 setups(SQL and frameworks) with installer and i don't need uninstall them because they are windows updates.
    thanks for all
    (sorry my english mistake)
    VB6 2D Sprite control

Re: [RESOLVED] [VB2010] - how build a setup with 2 exe's and a startup shortcut?

i tested the setup in other computer and the program is installed, but i continue with same error
    and it's about sql connection or open the file.
    so i need ask 1 thing: if i use the Net. Framework 4 Client Profile, i only need these framework for work in other pc, right?
    (and 1 DLL that i use in my project)
    (why these question? because i'm tired with setup from visual studio 2010 that i can't use the program in other pc )
    VB6 2D Sprite control