Thread: Tracking, Cookies, Etc.

PowerPoster

Tracking, Cookies, Etc.

I'm getting tired of all the redirection to capture whatever.
    I've modified the HOST file ad-nauseum and it helps some.
    Thinking of going to Tor (supposedly helps ??) but if there is a simpler alternative
    I'd like to know?

Any feedback appreciated.

Re: Tracking, Cookies, Etc.

I'm not sure if I fully understand your question. Can you provide more details?
    And what web browser are you using? Have you tried Firefox + adblock + noscript addons?
    Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.
    - Abraham Lincoln -

PowerPoster

Re: Tracking, Cookies, Etc.

web browser are you using? Have you tried Firefox + adblock + noscript addons?
    Using Firefox. No AddOns since IMHO don't work.
    1) As you may have noticed, when you now choose a search engine -- google, yahoo, bing, etc. -- the url is hijacked, redirected to the search server, and then the request is forwarded on to the requested url which comes up in your web browser. This not only slows up the process of getting to the web page, but causes problems at time loading the page as well as allows the search engine to know each and every page you request as well as -- I'm guess here -- any subsequent action taken on that web page.

2) By modifying the HOST file, any embedded url's in the web page that match those in the HOST file can be redirected into never never land so this information is not returned to the web server(s) urls that are imbedded in that web page (doubleclick for example). However, it is my understanding (???) that the modification of the the HOST file does NOT keep the search engine from redirecting the requested url to its server. For example you directly type in a url into the browser, and the url is hijacked by google and then sent on to the requested url.
    Why the browser allows this, and how to keep it from happening is one ???.

3) All webbrowsers (ie. Firefox, IE, your own written in VB6) seem to allow this practice. Some such as Firefox had addon which SUPPOSEDLY, stop this to SOME degree. However, the web browser developers, seem to have gone on vacation when it comes to allowing the user to completely control what information the user wishes to be redirected (given) to whomever.

So what I'm after is a ALL IN ONE solution (not 10 different addons that may or may not work) that will allow me to control what if anything is collected for two reasons. 1) Just say I don't want them to know I'm interested in whatever, and (2) improve the browsing experience because fewer fingers in the pie usually equate to a faster response time and less errors. (For example sometimes I type in a url, the redirection kicks in, and up comes a Mozilla page which had nothing to do with the requested url.)

Based on my limited readings, "Tor" as a browser may be the answer. Since, I've used Firefox for ever, I hate to change browsers and climb the learning curve, so hoping there may be a simpler solution -- or if "Tor" is the way to go -- confirmation that is the best alternative.
    Last edited by dw85745; Jan 24th, 2014 at 11:27 PM.