[RESOLVED] Creating daily Log file - need nudge in right direction-VBForums

Thread: [RESOLVED] Creating daily Log file - need nudge in right direction

Resolved [RESOLVED] Creating daily Log file - need nudge in right direction

I am using some helpful code found here: http://codingresolved.com/discussion...y-log-files/p1

I have built a simple form based on his sample and wanted to simply log a button press. I am not seeing a clear variable to actually write to the file created daily.... some help would be appreciated since I am intermediate at best and ask a lot of obvious questions....

Here is my sample form:
    Code:
    Imports System.IO

Public Class Form1

Public Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
            Label1.Text = DateTime.Now.ToShortDateString
            Try
                Dim LogFileName As String
                LogFileName = DateTime.Now.Day.ToString() + "-" + DateTime.Now.Month.ToString() + "-" + DateTime.Now.Year.ToString()
                LogFileName = Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.MyDocuments) + "\Sessions " + LogFileName + " .txt"
                Dim fs As New FileStream(LogFileName, FileMode.OpenOrCreate, FileAccess.Write)
                'Dim fs As New FileStream("C:\Sessions + '" + LogFileName + "' + .txt", FileMode.OpenOrCreate, FileAccess.Write)

Dim m_streamWriter As New StreamWriter(fs)
            Catch ex As Exception
            End Try
            Timer1.Start()
        End Sub '- See more at: http://codingresolved.com/discussion/722/how-to-create-daily-log-files/p1#sthash.N9wLM9zc.dpuf

Private Sub Timer1_Tick(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Timer1.Tick
            Dim day As Integer = DateDiff(DateInterval.Day, CDate(Label1.Text), CDate(DateTime.Now.ToShortDateString))
            Dim a As Integer = day
            If day >= 1 Then
                Dim LogFileName As String
                LogFileName = DateTime.Now.Day.ToString() + "-" + DateTime.Now.Month.ToString() + "-" + DateTime.Now.Year.ToString()
                LogFileName = Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.MyDocuments) + "\Sessions " + LogFileName + " .txt"
                Dim fs As New FileStream(LogFileName, FileMode.OpenOrCreate, FileAccess.Write)
                Dim m_streamWriter As New StreamWriter(fs)
                Label1.Text = DateTime.Now.ToShortDateString
            End If '- See more at: http://codingresolved.com/discussion/722/how-to-create-daily-log-files/p1#sthash.N9wLM9zc.dpuf
        End Sub

Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
            Dim logtext As String = Date.Now & "Macro Created:" & "--" & " " & "Subject:" & " " & "--" & " " & vbCrLf
            My.Computer.FileSystem.WriteAllText(HOW DO I POINT THIS TO THE FILE CREATED DAILY?, logtext, True)
        End Sub

End Class

Hyperactive Member

Re: Creating daily Log file - need nudge in right direction

You might want to check out the MSDN How Do I video series. This is the link to the VB videos:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/bb466226.aspx

Scroll down about 3/4 of the way down, and you will see their "Windows Development Video Series" which contains videos for logging.

Quote Originally Posted by nO_OnE View Post
    You might want to check out the MSDN How Do I video series. This is the link to the VB videos:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/bb466226.aspx

Scroll down about 3/4 of the way down, and you will see their "Windows Development Video Series" which contains videos for logging.
    Simply AMAZING, Thank you....

I had done a series of google searches and it kept pointing to event viewer logging in windows and I just hate the event viewer....terrible.

This will solve my problem 100% I am about 1/2 way through the video and it looks like I will be able to do exactly what we wanted plus more without a bunch of extraneous code added. I came from VB6 and have evolved through VS2008-2013 and am finally impressed with the simple yet useful things added

Good Kharma to you sir! I was annoyed at first thinking you were trolling me to go google something but you pointed me to something I was able to learn! :P

Hyperactive Member

Lol, glad to be of assistance!