View Poll Results: How would you rate the work on this game?

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 Star

0 0%
  • 2 Stars

0 0%
  • 3 Stars

0 0%
  • 4 Stars

0 0%
  • 5 Stars

0 0%

Thread: RPG Game using BitBlt

Addicted Member

Cool RPG Game using BitBlt

The filesize of this RPG Game is around 20MB, so I put it here: http://www.udontknowtech.com/rpgGame.zip

Screenshots
    Name:  g12ss1.jpg
Views: 2048
Size:  307.0 KB

Name:  g12ss2.jpg
Views: 1621
Size:  255.8 KB

Name:  g12ss3.jpg
Views: 1582
Size:  237.4 KB

Name:  g12ss4.jpg
Views: 1533
Size:  260.2 KB

This example uses BitBlt and On-The-Fly Masking so you don't have to mask the character beforehand. It's not perfect, but it's good to learn from. I don't care for criticism but ways to improve are welcome, as I have only done Windows programming and have just recently got into gaming.

The characters were created with "Poser Debut". The 'Shop' icons are from a designer from deviantart.com. The 'Shop' background is one I found online, and so is Lord Bern, except for his eyes, which I had to create in Poser Debut so that he was looking at you, as the original image had him looking down and to the left... which would have been awkward. The music is from "Lord Of Ultima". The sound files are from some random sound pack I got a long time ago. All of the sound files, with the exception of 'walk.wav' are in the resource file (.res). The walk.wav file I couldn't put in the resource file because I needed to call it quickly and repeatedly and I guess it wouldn't load and play that fast because there was just silence, so that's why it's the only .wav file you'll see in the .zip. The map was designed using a map maker I created in VB6 utilizing tiles I found online. The numbers at the top of the Form are x,y coordinates that helped me figure out where to mark some of the objects for collision-detection and so on. Oh... and that dark-looking creature you see in the first and second screenshot is a female troll. She walks and breathes at random intervals randomly bidirectional (east & west).

And many thanks to the members here on VBForums who helped me along the way. You know who you are! Looking forward to learning more and creating something even better.

PowerPoster

Re: RPG Game using BitBlt

Quote Originally Posted by Conroy Vanderbluff View Post
    I don't care for criticism but ways to improve are welcome
    Criticism is the way to improve, what you think

Anything I post is an example only and is not intended to be the only solution, the total solution nor the final solution to your request nor do I claim that it is. If you find it useful then it is entirely up to you to make whatever changes necessary you feel are adequate for your purposes.

Addicted Member

I meant like "WHY DID YOU USE A TIMER?!?!" or "You need to work on your art". Things like that I see randomly on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Conroy Vanderbluff View Post
    I meant like "WHY DID YOU USE A TIMER?!?!" or "You need to work on your art". Things like that I see randomly on here.
    In that case...

Use graphical buttons. No VB controls should be visible when you've taken the time to use and create these beautiful models and environments.

Sinecure devotee

You should add "Option Explicit" at the top of your forms and modules, or better, turn on the option so that it is automatically added to your code to remind you when you forget to declare a variable.
    You have a number of cases where you have variables that were never declared, so they default to variants, which are generally inefficient since the intrinsic type the variant is, is wrapped in the variant meta data so is a little slower to use than if you declared what type you want the variables to be.

You use the Val function a lot, but Val is used to convert a string whose characters represent a number into a numeric type.
    A lot of the places you use Val, the parameter is already a number, examples:
    Val(playerMusic.settings.volume)
    ManaMover = Val(ManaMover) + 1

Both volume and ManaMover are Longs, so most likely when you pass a Long to the Val function, VB has to convert the Long into a string, store it someplace, the pass the String address to the Val function, and the Val function converts the string back into a number and returns it for you to use.
    You should get rid of the Val function when dealing with numbers, i.e. incrementing of ManaMover should just be:
    ManaMover = ManaMover + 1