Thread: How to publish update database Sql by vb.net project.

How to publish update database Sql by vb.net project.

Hi everybody.

I have a vb.net project (Vs2012) .
    The first project , database 1.mdf is 5000mb , publish with version 1.0.0.0
    The second application , database 2.mdf is 5600mb ,publish with version 1.0.0.1
    I want to update for the first version , copy only 600mb from 2.mdf to 1.mdf.
    I use publish of VS2012 , it copy over 5600 from 2.mdf to 1.mdf ,it 's very long time to update for customer.
    Can you help me ?
    Thankyou very much ...

Re: How to publish update database Sql by vb.net project.

Ok. First thing to say is that that is an insanely large database! What have you got in there a complete history of every man woman and child in China?

Obviously you're not going to be able to randomly chop off 600mb in the hope that it just happens to contain all the right information and pop it in the post. You would need to write a program which compares the records in the old database at the customer's computer with those in the new one at some central server and transfers any that don't match using the usual data commands. Whether that will be any quicker than just downloading the whole things, however is debatable at best. I'd be inclined to doubt it.

In any case, what would you do about changes to the database made at the customer's end? Whatever method you used they would simply be wiped out.

What you should have done (and might still be able to do) is kept any supplemental records in a second database entirely divorced from the original and then offered a program which would merge the tables from this with the existing tables in the customer's version.
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Reviews: "dunfiddlin likes his DataTables" - jmcilhinney

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Joacim Andersson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dunfiddlin View Post
    First thing to say is that that is an insanely large database!
    5gb? It's fairly large but I wouldn't call it insanely large for a database.

Thank for your reply of dunfiddlin
    I don't need auto update online from web server .
    It's simple , i only need manual update by hand with DVD .
    - First , i package a vb.net project for customer (1.mdf about 5000mb) with setup.msi ( and setup.exe) by install shield .
    - Second , i have a update.msi (2.mdf about 600mb) .
    Can you help me ,how to merge 2.mdf from update.msi to 1.mdf ?
    Thankyou very much .......