Thread: [RESOLVED] [MS Excel 2010] Consolidating all 55 workbooks into 1 new workbook

Lively Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] [MS Excel 2010] Consolidating all 55 workbooks into 1 new workbook

Dear All,

I am currently having 55 workbooks in a folder (ex. “C:\Consolidation”) and each workbook contains 4 worksheets.

Now I need to consolidate the following three sheets 1. Total Consolidation, 2. State level Consolidation and 3. District Level Consolidation from all 55 workbooks and save it in three different sheets in a new workbook in the same folder (i.e. C:\Consolidation). That new file should be names as “COUNTRY LEVEL CONSOLIDATION”.

So now macro should open one workbook at a time and copy three worksheets separately and paste them including the heading (heading should be copied only for the 1st workbook and second workbook onwards no need to copy the headings) into three worksheets in a new workbook named as “COUNTRLY LEVEL CONSOLIDATION”.

When it opens the second workbook, it should again copy three worksheets data and paste them below the data that are already copied from the previous workbook. (Ex: assume that previous workbook data copied till 500 rows in 1st sheet, 150 rows in second sheet and 90 rows in third sheet then, second workbook data should be pasted from row 501 in first sheet, 151 in second sheet and 91 in third sheet excluding headings. This is how it should copy all 55 workbooks data into three work sheets in one workbook. But the current challenge is in each work sheet, the number of rows to copy is different.

I have attached 5 sample workbooks for your reference.

Is it possible to develop a macro to do these tasks? Please help me with the macro code.

Thank you so much for your help in advance.
    Amrutha
    Attached Files Attached Files

Fanatic Member

Re: [MS Excel 2010] Consolidating all 55 workbooks into 1 new workbook

i guess to start with you need to have 3 arrays 1 for each sheet, then just copy the range of each sheet into each respective array, this will make sure all sheet 1 data is in 1 array, sheet2 data in another etc, once you have all the data, combine the arrays in order, then check if the sheet can hold all the data, then simply put the array into the range(same size as array)

getting the files you will most likely need the filesystem object and some sort of loop

have a try and if you get stuck post back
    Yes!!!
    Working from home is so much better than working in an office...
    Nothing can beat the combined stress of getting your work done on time whilst
    1. one toddler keeps pressing your AVR's power button
    2. one baby keeps crying for milk
    3. one child keeps running in and out of the house screaming and shouting
    4. one wife keeps nagging you to stop playing on the pc and do some real work.. house chores
    5. working at 1 O'clock in the morning because nobody is awake at that time
    6. being grossly underpaid for all your hard work

It looks like you know how to, perhaps only need some sort of guidance:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/141577

Lively Member

First of all thank you so much for replying. I just started learning VBA macros and didn't go that far.

Can some one please give some sample code, so that I can try on that one?

Lively Member

Can someone please help me?

Lively Member

Hi vbfbryce,

Could you please help me with the code? I know you don't even to take more than 10 minutes. Please help me.

Fanatic Member

nobody is going to do it for you, your going to have to learn it.

try it in steps

1, first make a loop that finds all the files in the folder and gets the path

2, you need some code that takes that path and opens the file and stores the sheets objects

3, code that takes the objects and put the data into an array(s)

4,when thats all finished you need code outside the loop to finish and put all the data together into a new sheet

Yes!!!
    Working from home is so much better than working in an office...
    Nothing can beat the combined stress of getting your work done on time whilst
    1. one toddler keeps pressing your AVR's power button
    2. one baby keeps crying for milk
    3. one child keeps running in and out of the house screaming and shouting
    4. one wife keeps nagging you to stop playing on the pc and do some real work.. house chores
    5. working at 1 O'clock in the morning because nobody is awake at that time
    6. being grossly underpaid for all your hard work

PowerPoster

does it matter what order the workbook data is entered into the consolidated book?
    the order, would be the same as the 55 workbooks are opened
    if so some change would be required to sort the order of opening the workbooks

Is it possible to develop a macro to do these tasks?
    entry level
    Code:
    Dim shts(2)
    Dim rw(2) As Long
    mypath = "C:\Consolidation\"
    Set newb = Workbooks.Add
    shts = Array("Total Consolidation", "State level Consolidation", "District Level Consolidation")
    'assumes new Workbook will contain 3 sheets by default, if not some sheets will have to be added
    newb.Sheets(1).Name = shts(0)
    newb.Sheets(2).Name = shts(1)
    newb.Sheets(3).Name = shts(2)
    rw(0) = 1
    rw(1) = 1
    rw(2) = 1
    fname = Dir(mypath & "*.xls")
    Do While Len(fname) > 0
      Set Wb = Workbooks.Open(mypath & fname)
      For s = 0 To 3
        rws = Wb.Sheets(shts(s)).UsedRange.Rows.Count
        cols = Wb.Sheets(shts(s)).UsedRange.Columns.Count
        newb.Sheets(shts(s)).Range("a" & rw(s)).Resize(rws, cols).value = Wb.Sheets(s).UsedRange.value
        rw(s) = rw(s) + rws
      Next
      Wb.Close False
      fname = Dir
    Loop
    newb.SaveAs mypath & "COUNTRY LEVEL CONSOLIDATION.xls"
    newb.Close  ' or omit if you want left open
    this is untested and may contain errors

nobody is going to do it for you, your going to have to learn it.
    it is sunday and i am bored, but i hope you will at least study the code and make whatever modifications are necessary
    Last edited by westconn1; Jan 11th, 2014 at 06:24 PM.
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

come back and mark your original post as resolved if your problem is fixed
    pete

Lively Member

Hi westconn1,

While running this macro, I am getting the following error message stating "Compile error: Can't assign to array" and highlighting "shts" word. Could you please help me to correct this error?

PowerPoster

change to
    Dim shts
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

pete

Lively Member

Now I am getting Run-time error '9' script out of range and it is highlighting the following line "newb.Sheets(shts(s)).Range("a" & rw(s)).Resize(rws, cols).value = Wb.Sheets(s).UsedRange.value"

PowerPoster

the workbook opened does not have a worksheet that exactly matches the names i used in the line above, which i copied from your original post

pete

Lively Member

No. I have checked once again and all three worksheets names are correct and there is no mistake in the names, but still this error is coming

Lively Member

Also in "Total Consolidation" sheet, it is taking 30 columns, but I need to take only A to K (11 columns) and in "District Level Consolidation" sheet I need to copy only 'O to AA' (columns 13)

PowerPoster

Also in "Total Consolidation" sheet, it is taking 30 columns, but I need to take only A to K (11 columns) and in "District Level Consolidation" sheet I need to copy only 'O to AA' (columns 13)
    i still do not see where you mention this previously

oops my mistake change to
    For s = 0 To 2

which columns for state level?
    Last edited by westconn1; Jan 13th, 2014 at 05:59 AM.

pete

Lively Member

Sorry it was my mistake I didn't mention in my previous thread.

For "Total Consolidation" sheet it should copy from row A6 to K6 and till the last row where data exists
    for "State level Consolidation" sheet it should copy from A1 to G1 and till the last row where data exists
    for "District Level Consolidation" sheet it should copy from O1 to AA1 and till the last row where data exists

Also macro should copy the headings only for the first time and 2nd time onwards, it should skip headings and copy only data. Please help me westconn1.

PowerPoster

as i can not easily test, i am not sure i have all the number of rows correct, you will have to test, check for blank or missing lines between workbook data, or if any rows get overwritten

i am reposting the entire code as it is too messy now to edit
    Code:
    Dim rw(2) As Long
    shts = Array("Total Consolidation", "State level Consolidation", "District Level Consolidation")
    Set newb = Workbooks.Add
    'assumes new Workbook will contain 3 sheets by default, if not some sheets will have to be added
    newb.Sheets(1).Name = shts(0)
    newb.Sheets(2).Name = shts(1)
    newb.Sheets(3).Name = shts(2)
    rw(0) = 1
    rw(1) = 1
    rw(2) = 1
    rng = Array("a6:k", "a2:g", "o2:aa")
    cols = Array("11", "7", "13")
    heds = Array("a1:k1", "a1:g1", "o1:aa1")
    Do While Len(fname) > 0
      Set Wb = Workbooks.Open(mypath & fname)
      For s = 0 To 2
        rws = Wb.Sheets(shts(s)).UsedRange.Rows.Count - 1
        If s = 0 Then rws = rws - 6
        If Not headsdone Then
            newb.Sheets(shts(s)).Range("a1").Resize(, cols).value = Wb.Sheets(shts(s)).Range(heds(s)).value
            headsdone = True
        End If
        newb.Sheets(shts(s)).Range("a" & rw(s)).Resize(rws, cols).value = Wb.Sheets(s).Range(rng(s) & rws - 1).value
        rw(s) = rw(s) + rws - 1
      Next
      fname = Dir
    Loop
    newb.SaveAs mypath & "COUNTRY LEVEL CONSOLIDATION.xls"
    newb.Close

pete

Lively Member

Thank you so much Sir. I will check and get back to you.

Lively Member

Dear Sir,

I am getting the following error "Run-time error '1004' Application-defined or object defined error and highlighting the following line of code
    "newb.sheets(shts(s)).Range("a1").Resize(, cols).Value = wb.sheets(shts(s)).Range(heds(s)).Value"

When I skip the above line of code and move to the next one it is showing another error "Run-time error '9' script out of range" and highlighting the following line of code
    "newb.sheets(shts(s)).Range("a" & rw(s)).Resize(rws, cols).Value = wb.sheets(s).Range(Rng(s) & rws - 1).Value" Please help me what to do.
    Last edited by ammu; Jan 13th, 2014 at 07:52 AM.

Lively Member

I could able to find the mistake in the below lines. The correct code should be:

"newb.sheets(shts(s)).Range("a1").Resize(, cols(s)).Value = wb.sheets(shts(s)).Range(heds(s)).Value"
    "newb.sheets(shts(s)).Range("a" & rw(s)).Resize(rws, cols(s)).Value = wb.sheets(shts(s)).Range(Rng(s) & rws - 1).Value"
    Last edited by ammu; Jan 13th, 2014 at 01:20 PM.

Lively Member

But I have several other problems that are mentioned below

1) Column heading being copied only for 'Total Consolidation' sheet and for other two sheets heading is not being copied (Heading should be copied only for one time for these two sheets).

2) In sheet 'Total Consolidation' data is being copied from row 6, hence at the end for five rows and 11 columns (i.e. A:K) i am seeing #N/A values.

3) Also In sheets 'State level Consolidation' and 'District Level Consolidation' data is being copied from row 2, hence at the end for 'State level Consolidation' sheet 1 row and 7 columns (i.e. A:G) and 'District Level Consolidation' sheet 1 row 13 columns (i.e. A:M) I am seeing these #N/A values.

4) Also these #N/As are counting as rows, so when next sheet data will be copied below these #N/A values which means for every sheet we see #N/As in 6 rows. This is for first sheet. For 2nd & 3rd sheets, one #N/A row being added. Is there a way to avoid these #N/As?

PowerPoster

I could able to find the mistake in the below lines. The correct code should be:
    i realised i had made that error, during the night

i am not sure i have all the number of rows correct, you will have to test,
    change to
    rws = Wb.Sheets(shts(s)).UsedRange.Rows.Count - 2

try
    change to
    if s = 2 then headsdone = True

#N/As in 6 rows.
    is all the rows of data copied, or some omitted?

pete

Lively Member

I have removed -6 from the below code, because if I keep -6 then it is not copying last six rows for every worksheet.

If s = 0 Then rws = rws

With this all rows being copied, but still at the bottom I see #N/As for 6 rows

Lively Member

Smile Re: [MS Excel 2010] Consolidating all 55 workbooks into 1 new workbook

Hi westconn1,

I could able to fix all errors and it is working fine. All credit should go to you!!!!!

Here is the final code below which is tested.

Sub consolidation()

Dim newb As Workbook
    Dim wb As Workbook
    Dim rws As Long
    Dim shts
    Dim rw(2) As Long
    Dim s As Integer

Set newb = Workbooks.Add

newb.sheets(1).Name = shts(0)
    newb.sheets(2).Name = shts(1)
    newb.sheets(3).Name = shts(2)

rw(0) = 1
    rw(1) = 1
    rw(2) = 1

Rng = Array("a7:k", "a2:g", "o2:aa")
    cols = Array("11", "7", "13")
    heds = Array("a6:k6", "a1:g1", "o1:aa1")

Do While Len(fname) > 0
    Set wb = Workbooks.Open(mypath & fname)
    For s = 0 To 2
    rws = wb.sheets(shts(s)).UsedRange.Rows.Count

Headsdone = True

If Headsdone Then
    newb.sheets(shts(s)).Range("a1").Resize(, cols(s)).Value = wb.sheets(shts(s)).Range(heds(s)).Value
    End If

If s = 0 Then
    newb.sheets(shts(s)).Range("a" & rw(s) + 1).Resize(-6 + rws, cols(s)).Value = wb.sheets(shts(s)).Range(Rng(s) & rws).Value
    rw(s) = rw(s) + rws - 6
    End If

If s = 1 Then
    newb.sheets(shts(s)).Range("a" & rw(s) + 1).Resize(-1 + rws, cols(s)).Value = wb.sheets(shts(s)).Range(Rng(s) & rws).Value
    rw(s) = rw(s) + rws - 1
    End If

If s = 2 Then
    newb.sheets(shts(s)).Range("a" & rw(s) + 1).Resize(-1 + rws, cols(s)).Value = wb.sheets(shts(s)).Range(Rng(s) & rws).Value
    rw(s) = rw(s) + rws - 1
    End If

Next

wb.Close False
    fname = Dir

Loop
    newb.SaveAs mypath & "COUNTRY LEVEL CONSOLIDATION.xlsx"

newb.Close

End Sub
    Last edited by ammu; Jan 14th, 2014 at 03:53 AM.

Lively Member

Re: [RESOLVED] [MS Excel 2010] Consolidating all 55 workbooks into 1 new workbook

Just wanted to know how do I post my code in a seperate window like the way you posted in previous posts 8 & 17 ? Please let me know. So that in my future posts I will also use those options.

PowerPoster

Re: [RESOLVED] [MS Excel 2010] Consolidating all 55 workbooks into 1 new workbook

use code tags
    [/code] at end
    [code] at start

pete