Thread: How to Display Images in LED Display Board

Lightbulb How to Display Images in LED Display Board

Hi Everyone,

Actually, in vb 2005 i writing some pieces of code to send some lines of text to a led display board and it is successful.

I wanna know what are the basic things I need to do to display an image in a led display board.

Regards

mdyusufali786

Re: How to Display Images in LED Display Board

Basically you need the following
    • the LED board
    • the instruction protocol that is sent to the board toactiavte the led's
    • an application to develop and send the instructions to the led board
    • a computer to run the app on

I'm pretty sure you knew all of that already, but I answered your question just for the sake of completeness. Now lets get to the specifics. What specifically do you need to know to make it all work?
    Process control doesn't give you good quality, it gives you consistent quality.
    Good quality comes from consistently doing the right things.

Vague general questions have vague general answers.
    A $100 donation is required for me to help you if you PM me asking for help. Instructions for donating to one of our local charities will be provided.

Quote Originally Posted by kebo View Post
    Basically you need the following
    • the LED board
    • the instruction protocol that is sent to the board toactiavte the led's
    • an application to develop and send the instructions to the led board
    • a computer to run the app on

I'm pretty sure you knew all of that already, but I answered your question just for the sake of completeness. Now lets get to the specifics. What specifically do you need to know to make it all work?
    Actually you're just being an ass, he's already stated in his post that he's got text going to the display board already & his question is whether he can send images to it or not.

mdyusufali786: what does the display board's API allow? Is there any online documentation where you can look this up?
    None of us on this forum will have any idea what the answer is since you haven't told us what type of display board it is, or given us a link to any of it's documentation, we don't have a clue what "display board" you've got.
    Currently using VS 2015 Enterprise on Win10 Enterprise x64.

CodeBank: All ThreadsColors ComboBoxFading & Gradient FormMoveItemListBox/MoveItemListViewMultilineListBoxMenuButtonToolStripCheckBoxStart with Windows

Quote Originally Posted by JuggaloBrotha View Post
    Actually you're just being an ass, he's already stated in his post that he's got text going to the display board already & his question is whether he can send images to it or not.
    Hey cool off brotha.

I wanna know what are the basic things I need to do to display an image in a led display board.
    Did you read his post? I'm here only to help, and I do so by not trying to figure out what people mean, but by addressing what they say. I may be a lot of things but calling me an ass for directly addressing the post is bit out a of place man.
    Process control doesn't give you good quality, it gives you consistent quality.
    Good quality comes from consistently doing the right things.

Vague general questions have vague general answers.
    A $100 donation is required for me to help you if you PM me asking for help. Instructions for donating to one of our local charities will be provided.

I don't know anything about coding against an LED board but I'd imagine there is a way to access each individual light. If so you should treat each one as a pixel and from there you may be able to work out displaying images. Images after all are just a collection of differently coloured pixels.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Hello, everyone. Let me be more specific. Suppose I have a color image called horse.jpg. I want this picture to be displayed in a display board. In VB2005 what should I do, I mean to say do I need to convert it into black & white, then to bitmap etc. If yes, please tell me the procedures step wise.

Quote Originally Posted by mdyusufali786 View Post
    Hello, everyone. Let me be more specific. Suppose I have a color image called horse.jpg. I want this picture to be displayed in a display board. In VB2005 what should I do, I mean to say do I need to convert it into black & white, then to bitmap etc. If yes, please tell me the procedures step wise.
    When you say black and white, do you mean a greyscale image ? If so, its should be relatively simple to implement a greyscale converter. Here is an article that explains how to convert colour to greyscale.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

I suggest reducing the image to a pixel size corresponding to horizontal and vertical leds, then use GetBrightness to decide which leds need to be on or off. For example, this function will give you an array of booleans in which True items correspond to pixels of more than medium brightness:

Code:
    	Public Function ImageToLeds(img As Image, matrixWidth As Integer, matrixHeight As Integer) As Boolean(,)
    		Dim leds(matrixWidth - 1, matrixHeight) As Boolean
    		Dim bmp As New Bitmap(img, matrixWidth, matrixHeight)
    		For y As Integer = 0 To matrixHeight - 1
    			For x As Integer = 0 To matrixWidth - 1
    				leds(x, y) = (bmp.GetPixel(x, y).GetBrightness > 0.5)
    			Next
    		Next
    		Return leds
    	End Function
    EDIT: the above code stretches the image to fit the full display. Here's another version which allows you to specify the width, height or both as a number of leds:
    Code:
    	Public Function ImageToLeds(img As Image, matrixWidth As Integer, matrixHeight As Integer, targetWidth As Integer, targetHeight As Integer) _
    	 As Boolean(,)
    		Dim leds(matrixWidth - 1, matrixHeight) As Boolean
    		If targetWidth = 0 Then
    			targetWidth = CInt(targetHeight * img.Height / img.Width)
    		Else
    			targetHeight = CInt(targetWidth * img.Width / img.Height)
    		End If
    		Dim bmp As New Bitmap(matrixWidth, matrixHeight)
    		Using g As Graphics = Graphics.FromImage(bmp)
    			g.DrawImage(img, 0, 0, targetWidth, targetHeight)
    		End Using
    		For y As Integer = 0 To matrixHeight - 1
    			For x As Integer = 0 To matrixWidth - 1
    				leds(x, y) = (bmp.GetPixel(x, y).GetBrightness > 0.5)
    			Next
    		Next
    		Return leds
    	End Function
    BB