Thread: [RESOLVED] Is it possible for application to know you've printed a PDF?

Hybrid View

Resolved [RESOLVED] Is it possible for application to know you've printed a PDF?

We have a web application written in C#/VS2010. There is a page containing a link to a PDF document and a checkbox that you've printed this document. When you click the link, the PDF opens and from there you print it. So that's no longer the application that's running, it's Acrobat. Can the application know that the user has hit the print button in Acrobat so that when the browser window that's displaying the document closes, the checkbox can be automatically checked? And of course I have to differentiate between when the user has printed the doc vs. he's merely closed the window without printing. The user does not like having to "manually" indicate they've printed by checking the box themselves. Thanks.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

PowerPoster

Re: Is it possible for application to know you've printed a PDF?

For a web application, I don't think so.

Agreed... once the PDF opens on the client, it's on the client... in Acrobat... and the webbrowser doesn't have a way to know what some other app is doing (otherwise that could be a HUUUUGE security risk)

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Didn't think so, just wanted to check, thought it would be cool if I *could* do it. Thanks.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.