Thread: Is it really "natural" to be shy?

Banned

Is it really "natural" to be shy?

Does shyness have a reason to exist acordingly to nature? :|

Nature ??

I am yet to hear someone having Artificial Shyness..
    If you can't beat your computer at chess, try kickboxing !!!
    [Download Tag Editing Tools.]

Banned
    Ok, different question then...

Does shyness have a reason to exist at all?

Tygur
    The only function it can have is to protect you from doing/saying something you may later regret.

I hate being shy..
    Many people tell me it's natural. Natural or not, I don't like it and I'd be very happy if there was an easy way of taking care of it (or at least somewhat easy).

transcendental analytic kedaman's Avatar
    i think it's a vital denfense mechanism, besides we are passive by nature, if you want to define artificial
    Use
    writing software in C++ is like driving rivets into steel beam with a toothpick.
    writing haskell makes your life easier:
    reverse (p (6*9)) where p x|x==0=""|True=chr (48+z): p y where (y,z)=divMod x 13
    To throw away OOP for low level languages is myopia, to keep OOP is hyperopia. To throw away OOP for a high level language is insight.

what di you mean we are F@!*ing passive by nature. Say that again and I will come round and knock two tons of ****e out of you scumbag
    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Banned
    Wouldn't it be better to use our own protection system as rational beings (inteligence)? Or man was made with this feeling (shyness) just in case of not having inteligence?

Warning: this was written at a very late hour so it's problably 100% stupid.

we are F@!*ing passive by nature

yep that's what we are, all interaction is artificial
    Goodreams had a very good point there, but i can't find it, i'm not sure how you want to combine intelligence and shyness
    Use
    writing software in C++ is like driving rivets into steel beam with a toothpick.
    reverse (p (6*9)) where p x|x==0=""|True=chr (48+z): p y where (y,z)=divMod x 13
    To throw away OOP for low level languages is myopia, to keep OOP is hyperopia. To throw away OOP for a high level language is insight.

Re: Is it really "natural" to be shy?

Originally posted by Goodreams
    Does shyness have a reason to exist acordingly to nature? :|
    Yes - it keeps you quiet when you need to be thus stopping you from being removed from the gene pool too early
    Last edited by Kzin; Jun 21st, 2001 at 08:43 AM.

Banned

Re: we are F@!*ing passive by nature

Originally posted by kedaman
    i'm not sure how you want to combine intelligence and shyness
    Not combine. Replace it with inteligence. If we can use our inteligence to analyse things, then what's the use of shyness? It's just a pain in the ass and it can be pretty uncrontrolable.

I still don't get it. Stupidness is nothing to be shy of, especially in these forums Besides intelligence is no substitute for shyness.
    Use

Banned
    Stupidness is nothing to be shy of, especially in these forums
    Yeap
    Besides intelligence is no substitute for shyness.
    No?
    Shyness, as far as I know, is a irrational thing and inteligence is a ... rational thing. I don't like an irrational thing controlling me so strongly. I don't see here why inteligence can't put shyness apart.

Wouldn't it be better (in this case) to relay on a rational defense mechanism as inteligence?

Jethro

Re: Re: Is it really "natural" to be shy?

Originally posted by Kzin

Yes - it keeps you quit when you need to be thus stopping you from being removed from the gene pool too early

Hmmm...hasn't worked with the Americans

chenko
    Goodreams: Is it me or do you have an imposter? or is it just you?

http://forums.vb-world.net/member.ph...o&userid=18544

Banned

Jethro
    Originally posted by Good Dreams
    chenko: http://forums.vb-world.com/showthrea...threadid=75091
    Hey your name translated into Oz would be "Davo". Just thought l would share that with you.

chenko
    Ah Cheers!

And please, Its Simon.

chenko
    Originally posted by Jethro

Hey your name translated into Oz would be "Davo". Just thought l would share that with you.
    And "Simon" and "Chenko" would be?

Banned
    Sure Simon

Jethro: into Oz what's that?

Jethro
    Originally posted by chenko

And "Simon" and "Chenko" would be?
    Simon = Simmo

Chenko = Chen???????????

Good Dreams

Australian English.

chenko

Simon = Simmo

Chenko = Chen???????????
    Ahhhhh, stuck at your own language

Re: Re: Re: Is it really "natural" to be shy?

Kzin shyness keeps you quiet when you need to be thus stopping you from being removed from the gene pool too early

Jethro: hmmm...hasn't worked with the Americans
    Do you think that there is another factor working there? - the "democratic fallacy" - that "my 'off the cuff' opinion is as good as anyone elses . . . at any time, on any topic"

I'm not saying its widespread but its prevalent enough (maybe amongst those with two figure IQs ) to entertain the rest of the English speaking world

Frenzied Member
    David, confidence would be the oppisite of shyness. Intelligence doesn't play a factor. You may or may not know something. That doesn't matter. You can be completely ignorant, but have the confidence and courage (or just foolhardiness) to speak up.

Shyness plays very closely with the base human emotions: fear, jealousy. Failure and rejection can set up a very negative mental self image and biofeedback. Depression can set in, and people tend to stop eating and sleeping properly. This causes deficencies in vitamins and seritonin (sp?).

Shyness is your defense against that. You either place too much importance on rejection and failure, or have too little confidence in yourself. If man were to not have shyness, then he would have to either care less about rejection and failure or have more confidence. Having less of a care about the opinion of others (rejection) isn't much better than having shyness. Having too much of an ego (over-confidence) isn't much better than shyness.

Shyness is there because the human factor needs reassurance and acceptance, and can be consumed with jealousy, fear, or self-loathing.

Wow... to some degree all of that makes sense, but I'll stop rambling now, since I imagine it hasn't made sense to the outside world, yet.
    Travis, Kung Foo Journeyman
    As always, RTFM.

WWW Standards: HTML 4.01, CSS Level 2, ECMA 262 Bindings to DOM Level 1, JavaScript 1.3 Guide and Reference
    Perl: Learn Perl, Llama, Camel, Cookbook, Perl Monks, Perl Mongers, O'Reilly's Perl.com, ActiveState, CPAN, TPJ, and use Perl;
    YBMS, but Mozilla doesn't.

Hyperactive Member
    I've gotta agree with CiberTHug on this one. Confidence... thats the answer.

SD
    "I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy!"