Thread: 2014's PC Plus, the road to desktop Android

PowerPoster

2014's PC Plus, the road to desktop Android

PC Plus Android: Microsoft to face computer makers' rebellion at CES

The PC Plus project, however, is aimed at personal computers, most likely traditional “clamshell” notebooks, not tablets. And it doesn’t rely on BlueStacks’ technology, even though Intel invested in the Palo Alto, Calif. company in March. “This is very different from BlueStacks,” Moorhead said.
    PC makers plan rebellion against Windows at 2014 CES, analysts say

These machines will be able to switch nearly instantly between the two operating systems, according to Computerworld, either booting both interfaces at the same time or running tablet apps meant for Android within a window, explained Patrick Moorhead, principal analyst at Moor Insights & Strategy.
    'PC Plus' Machines Being Prepped For CES To Run Android On Windows In Retaliation Against MSFT

For one thing, it’s a tacit indictment by OEMs of the latest mobile Windows operating system, and in particular its lack of apps. The Windows app store is growing, to be sure, but--and this is a contested point even among some of us at HH--it’s still not up to snuff when you compare it to the number of available Android and iOS apps.
    An interesting development, though probably more backlash against Win8.x than anything else. Will PC Plus ever see the light of day in actual consumer products? Could be useful to Android developers if nothing else.

And then we have players who have established moves such as:

Acer Turns to Android for Latest All-in-One Desktop Solution

One thing working in Android's favor is that nearly everyone is familiar with its interface. Nearly 80 percent of the world's smartphones run Android, so navigating an all-in-one with Android should be old hat for most people.

The DA241HL will offer complete access to the Google Play Store. It will support up to five different profiles, each of which can have their own custom settings and applications installed. Other features include the ability to connect to any PC with Windows 8 via HDMI and/or USB port, and a tilt angle of 20 to 75 degrees for a "comfortable touch experience."
    Acer and others have these sort of products out for purchase already. Could be an upgrade path to the future for those who already have Windows machines. Just swap out your monitor for such an all-in-one/monitor combo and you are on your way. I could live without the touchscreen if it got a 90 degree upright mount instead of the 75 degree "laid back for touch" of Acer's current 21 and 24 inch products.

I wouldn't buy yet though, more powerful hardware to support Android on large screens is already available. We'll probably see new models this year taking advantage of that.

Re: 2014's PC Plus, the road to desktop Android

Or any of the other attempts that various groups have made to unseat MS. It won't work even if tried, though it may carve out some minor niche just as Linux and Apple have done. The problem is most likely the same: A bunch of geeks say, "we have a better answer" and a bunch of corporate IT types say, "we have a bunch of semi-literate people to support, so don't make my life harder."
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

Well the implication is that Microsoft has unseated itself, and is dragging the OEMs down. That is probably just assigning blame when all they know is that PC sales are down now even from levels in the deepest part of the current recession.

But such a move could mean opportunity for both programmers and consumers, even if its premise is mistaken.

Last year's news:

The Nightmare That Keeps Microsoft Awake... Android On The Desktop

A manufacturer is going to need to bite the bullet and commit to Desktop Android, assuming Google go ahead with the project and give it corporate weight (as opposed to a few indie hackers in the company using the famed twenty percent time).
    Roll the calendar up to today and we have Acer, Lenovo, and others looking at doing just that.
    Last edited by dilettante; Jan 1st, 2014 at 12:05 PM.

PowerPoster

Microsoft does offer a solution for keeping your legacy VB.Net applications alive though:

Getting Started with Remote Desktop Client on Android

At least until you get around to rewriting them for Android.

PowerPoster

ASUS has posted a couple of bizarre short videos that some pundits believe relates to this direction:

Asus hints at a dual-boot Windows 8.1 and Android tablet

The company's teaser video for CES 2014 features the Statue of Liberty - we don't know why either - holding two blue tablet-shaped devices. One changes colour from blue to green, suggesting the dual-OS tablet. The other stays blue which...could hint at anything, but we're going to bet on a new Windows 8.1 tablet.

Hmm. My take is that one is the future and the other is the past, left behind.

Here are the vids, take your Xanax before proceeding:

[ASUS CES 2014 Teaser I] Green or Blue? One or Two?

[ASUS CES 2014 Teaser II] What's your number?

You know I'm not buying into any of this nonsense, right? I've heard it all before and it didn't come to pass. This is just more of the same: A bunch of geeks, generally anti-Microsoft, has found a cool new toy that is going to sweep the world....and then it doesn't.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

Intel seems to call this "Dual OS" but it isn't yet clear what it really is. Could even be a hypervisor that boots both Windows and Android side by side on startup.

Intel to Push “Dual OS” Android-Windows Computers at CES, Reports Says

According to the usual anonymous insiders, Intel has been pushing the idea of what it calls “Dual OS,” which just happened to be the name of the app installed on the ATIV Q to launch Android. However, unlike Samsung’s tablet, which let you switch back and forth between the two operating systems, Intel’s new Dual OS devices would actually be able to run Android and Windows apps side-by-side.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    You know I'm not buying into any of this nonsense, right? I've heard it all before and it didn't come to pass. This is just more of the same: A bunch of geeks, generally anti-Microsoft, has found a cool new toy that is going to sweep the world....and then it doesn't.
    This time it could be different because millions of tablet users are already accustomed to the Android GUI. In my family, for example, my wife, my daughter and I have an Android tablet each. Besides, unlike Linux, there is no proliferation of Android distros, and this makes the user feel more confident with the latter environment.

That said, I still think that most users will stay with Windows for a very long time. We can't rule out that, eventually, Android may take over from Windows, but nobody knows how distant that future is.
    Since I discovered Delphi and Lazarus, VB has become history to me.

PowerPoster

It is even possible that something entirely new might come along. This seems less likely because it takes time to build up an ecosystem of development tools, applications, etc. from scratch and then get any momentum with users. But you never know.

Even if the fine points are still hazy, one thing that seems clear is that this Dual OS/PC Plus thing at CES 2014 is about OEMs' disappointment in Windows 8.x as a sales generator.

PowerPoster

Not one of the new "duelies" but a dedicated desktop:

Android desktops arrive as Lenovo eyes your living room

Rumor has it that Google has been working with various PC vendors to launch Android product lines.

For Windows 8, Android PCs and laptops could be a royal pain. Sure, Android PCs won't have Microsoft Office, but there are plenty of editing and viewing apps. Games on Android are plentiful and you could do worse things than buy a PC for $450.
    Odd. I thought Windows 8 was its own worst pain.

Still includes an integrated "lean back" touchscreen and large battery. I'd rather see a small form factor PC box and use my existing external monitors with no touch at all. I don't see people crouching over these things trying to avoid "gorilla arm" syndrome.

So maybe they still don't get it but there will be more machines revealed this week.

PowerPoster

Intel has a few words about their approach:

CES 2014: Intel's dual boot platform toggles Windows and Android (YouTube)

AMD seems to be left in the dust, partnering with BlueStacks to run ARM emulation to support Android. There are rumors of AMD x86/x64 chips with ARM cores on-board for somewhat better performance. But even if they exist these probably won't match Intel's approach which runs Android on Core i3, i5, and i7 processors.