Thread: [RESOLVED] SpecialFolder returning numerical value?

Addicted Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] SpecialFolder returning numerical value?

For some reason when I try to set a path to 'Environment.SpecialFolder.Windows' the path ends up being '36', even when dimming as a string - What the heck am I doing wrong?

Code:
            Dim Install As String = Environment.SpecialFolder.Windows
            MsgBox(Install & "\qcinfs\temp.inf")
    Outputs as '36\qcinfs\temp.inf' :-(
    Last edited by relentlesstech; Dec 25th, 2013 at 11:12 AM.

Addicted Member

Re: SpecialFolder returning numerical value?

Figured it out:

Code:
            Environment.CurrentDirectory = Environment.GetEnvironmentVariable("windir")
            MsgBox(Environment.CurrentDirectory)

Re: [RESOLVED] SpecialFolder returning numerical value?

What you're doing is not reading the documentation. The Help menu is there in your IDE for a reason. Environment.SpecialFolder is an enumeration and, like all enumerations, is a list of named labels that correspond to numeric values and those numeric values mean something when used properly. Not surprisingly, the documentation for that enumeration tells you how to use it properly. Always read the documentation first.

By the way, use Path.Combine to combine two partial paths into a single path.

Re: SpecialFolder returning numerical value?

Quote Originally Posted by relentlesstech View Post
    Figured it out:

Code:
            Environment.CurrentDirectory = Environment.GetEnvironmentVariable("windir")
            MsgBox(Environment.CurrentDirectory)
    No, you didn't figure it out. You just used a different, vastly inferior option.

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by relentlesstech View Post
    For some reason when I try to set a path to 'Environment.SpecialFolder.Windows' the path ends up being '36', even when dimming as a string - What the heck am I doing wrong?

Code:
            Dim Install As String = Environment.SpecialFolder.Windows
            MsgBox(Install & "\qcinfs\temp.inf")

Outputs as '36\qcinfs\temp.inf' :-(
    I wouldn't have used either, there are other ways to do it, but if that's how you want to display it, but this only gives you the name, assuming that's what you want? Otherwise use System.IO.Path class

Code:
    Dim WinFolder As String = Environment.SpecialFolder.Windows.ToString
            MsgBox(WinFolder & "\qcinfs\temp.inf")

Quote Originally Posted by Mucker View Post
    I wouldn't have used either, there are other ways to do it, but if that's how you want to display it, but this only gives you the name, assuming that's what you want? Otherwise use System.IO.Path class

Code:
    Dim WinFolder As String = Environment.SpecialFolder.Windows.ToString
            MsgBox(WinFolder & "\qcinfs\temp.inf")
    Nope, that ain't it. You make take a look at that documentation yourself.

Hyperactive Member

Jmc if he is only looking for it to output the name of the folder, then my code will do that as tested below. So what isn't it?

Attachment 108737

Code:
            Dim aFile As String = IO.Path.Combine(Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.Windows), "qcinfs\temp.inf")
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve
    Counting Bits -- Subnet Calculator -- UI Guidelines -- >> SerialPort Answer <<

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

The point here is that SpecialFolder is an enum, and JMC is pointing out that you're not reading the documentation to see why it's returning a numeric value, even though it should (because it's an enum). The Environment.GetFolderPath() function takes the enum as a parameter and turns that into the folder location you want as a string. Path.Combine() is self-explanatory.
    <<<------------
    Improving Managed Code Performance | .NET Application Performance
    < Please if this helped you out. Any kind of thanks is gladly appreciated >

.NET Programming (2012 - 2018)
    ®Crestron - DMC-T Certified Programmer | Software Developer
    <<<------------

Jmc if he is only looking for it to output the name of the folder, then my code will do that as tested below. So what isn't it?

Attachment 108737
    He's not looking for the name of the folder. He's looking for the path of the folder. If you check out the members of the Environment.SpecialFolder enumeration then you'll see that many of them don't even return the folder name from their ToString method. You could have saved yourself looking a fool by taking 30 seconds to read the documentation.

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    He's not looking for the name of the folder. He's looking for the path of the folder. If you check out the members of the Environment.SpecialFolder enumeration then you'll see that many of them don't even return the folder name from their ToString method. You could have saved yourself looking a fool by taking 30 seconds to read the documentation.
    Lets get a few things straight here. First keep your insults to yourself and dont call me a fool. There is no need for disrespect. You dont even know me... and I am not disrespecting you.

Secondly, I do this for a hobby and i do what i know works for me based on practice and things i try to learn, regardless if its meant to work like that or not. if the enum is meant to represent a numerical value. Cool beans! Obviously the value represents a folder name if I can return it from a string. So who cares if I used it inappropriately to display the folder name. Is that a reason to insult me?

If you want people on this site to learn and not post " Stupid " things, then instead of saying read the documentation; which is as good as saying read Google! (Which defeats the purpose of the forum.) Why don't you provide a link to that exact documentation you're referring us to learn and try to explain it to us instead? To much work for you jmc?

According to the screenshots, it will do that for each and every special directory listed. so who cares?

Attachment 108745Attachment 108747Attachment 108749Attachment 108751

Lets get a few things straight here. First keep your insults to yourself and dont call me a fool. There is no need for disrespect. You dont even know me... and I am not disrespecting you.

Secondly, I do this for a hobby and i do what i know works for me based on practice and things i try to learn, regardless if its meant to work like that or not. if the enum is meant to represent a numerical value. Cool beans! Obviously the value represents a folder name if I can return it from a string. So who cares if I used it inappropriately to display the folder name. Is that a reason to insult me?

If you want people on this site to learn and not post " Stupid " things, then instead of saying read the documentation; which is as good as saying read Google! (Which defeats the purpose of the forum.) Why don't you provide a link to that exact documentation you're referring us to learn and try to explain it to us instead? To much work for you jmc?

According to the screenshots, it will do that for each and every special directory listed. so who cares?

Attachment 108745Attachment 108747Attachment 108749Attachment 108751

John didn't say you are a fool, just that you looked foolish. If you turn Option Strict On, as it should always be, your solution will not compile.

When you object to reading the documentation you seem to imply that you want someone to read it for you, and then regurgitate here. Maybe a link to the page in question would help. Look under Remarks here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...vs.110%29.aspx

If you want the correct answers here, then all answers have to be scrutinized for correctness, which is not the same as it works under certain scenarios. In this case your answer only works if Strict is Off.
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve
    Counting Bits -- Subnet Calculator -- UI Guidelines -- >> SerialPort Answer <<

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

Hyperactive Member

Thanks dbasnett for the link. Regardless, looking a fool or being called a fool is as good as calling one a fool in my eyes. Nevertheless I've already forgotten about it.

Back on topic, why is it that my application compiles when Option Strict is On Or Off? :S