Thread: How to determine why my site takes 5 minutes partial postback?

Frenzied Member

How to determine why my site takes 5 minutes partial postback?

Hi All,

I have a web application which has rather a lot of controls. I also have several buttons (add, edit, save, cancel). Most of my content page is in an update panel so it does not process the whole page. On form submit I have some javascript code which shows a div 50% opacity and an animated gif to prevent users clicking on the buttons more than once whilst it is processing the data to the server. Here is the javascript / call:

Code:
    onsubmit="overlay();"

function overlay() {
        el = document.getElementById('overlay');
        el.style.display = "inline";
        document.getElementById('Image2').src = "../Images/loader.gif";
    }

function removeoverlay() {
        el = document.getElementById('overlay');
        el.style.display = "none";
    }
    The problem is it the form disables like I want it and the giff animates for about 1.5 seconds but it does not enable the form for a further 4 seconds.

Is there anyway to see what it happpening at this point. If I put some watches in my code behind it runs through less than a second so what else can it be doing.

Also on some laptops the form does not fit vertically so there is a scroll bar. When the div is shown on a submit it does not do the full screen including the scroll area.

Many thanks for any help,

Jiggy

Merry Christmas to all

Re: How to determine why my site takes 5 minutes partial postback?

Hi,

Just a thought. Since your building an asp.net ajax website, have you tried using an UpdateProgress Extender? Rather than creating and
    customizing a div/panel with animated gif?

KG
    Last edited by KGComputers; Dec 19th, 2013 at 06:16 AM.
    CodeBank: VB.NET & C#.NET | ASP.NET
    Programming: C# | VB.NET
    Blogs: Personal | Programming
    Projects: GitHub | jsFiddle
    ___________________________________________________________________________________

Rating someone's post is a way of saying Thanks...

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by KGComputers View Post
    Hi,

Just a thought. Since your building an asp.net ajax website, have you tried using an UpdateProgress Extender? Rather than creating and
    customizing a div/panel with animated gif?

KG
    Thanks for the reply; can you explain a bit further please? I've never used the updateprocess extender.

Here's an example. The server side script is in C# but not much of a concern though.

UpdateProgress Control Example In Asp.Net

KG
    CodeBank: VB.NET & C#.NET | ASP.NET
    Programming: C# | VB.NET
    Blogs: Personal | Programming
    Projects: GitHub | jsFiddle
    ___________________________________________________________________________________

Rating someone's post is a way of saying Thanks...

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by KGComputers View Post
    Here's an example. The server side script is in C# but not much of a concern though.

UpdateProgress Control Example In Asp.Net

KG
    Thank you for that; the problem I was having was disabling the screen. I got it to show the in progress message but I would still click buttons.

Frenzied Member

Any clues to why my site takes up to 5 seconds on a partial post back? If I put pauses in in my server side code it processes it instantly. Are there any trace tools or is it simply posting back all the html to the client? I don't know and was home an expert out there could help.

Many Thanks,

Jiggy

I use FireFox with FireBug - and there is a debug-panel that shows all posts and what was sent and what was received and how long it all took.

Here is me loading one of my web pages - lots of ajax (which is what asp.net postback's use)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by szlamany; Dec 24th, 2013 at 09:56 AM.

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

In other words... try installing Firebug and then running your site through it to see just what is going on. I can attest to the goodness that is FireBug... I've used it many times myself to discover why a part of a site wasn't rendering completely (in my case it wasn't rendering at ALL!) It will allow you to see the request and the replies and everything passed back and forth. Fiddler is also another great tool... a little harder to work with though, but effective if you cannot use/install Firefox (which is required for Firebug).

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    In other words... try installing Firebug and then running your site through it to see just what is going on. I can attest to the goodness that is FireBug... I've used it many times myself to discover why a part of a site wasn't rendering completely (in my case it wasn't rendering at ALL!) It will allow you to see the request and the replies and everything passed back and forth. Fiddler is also another great tool... a little harder to work with though, but effective if you cannot use/install Firefox (which is required for Firebug).

-tg
    Thank you both; it seems to be uploading several images???

Post a screen shot of what you are seeing in Firebug...

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Frenzied Member

Here is a screen shot as requested:-

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 84
Size:  31.6 KB