dcsimg

Thread: Motorcycle Riders?

Motorcycle Riders?

Any motorcycle riders here? I have been really interested in getting my motorcycle license and getting a cheap used bike to ride around for fun. I have been watching a lot of videos on youtube and reading a lot about motorcycle riding. It sounds like a lot of fun, but, I know that motorcyclist go down a lot. And every day I work i hear the fire department responding to vehicle vs motorcycle.

Thoughts?

Re: Motorcycle Riders?

I own and love motorcycles. In March 2013, a young kid came right out in front of me and left me with two choices: 1) Hit his truck and fly over the bars or 2) Lay the bike down.

I chose to lay the bike down. It sucked. I hurt my knee while laying the bike down, but in doing so, I saved my own life. I spent four weeks on the couch and four months in PT. When my leg was better, I fixed my bike and got right back on it.

Advice: Go to a riding school. People go to school to learn coding and a bunch of other stuff. You might as well go learn how to ride. This is coming from somebody who has been riding motorcycles for more than 20 years. Any amount of knowledge and practice is good.
    Regards,

Matt Butler, MBA, BSIT/SE, MCBP
    Owner, Intense IT, LLC
    Find us on Facebook
    Follow us on Twitter
    Link up on LinkedIn
    mb (at) i2t.us

CODE BANK SUBMISSIONS: Converting Images to Base64 and Back Again

I use motorcycle to commute everyday since 2006 and only crashed once when I tried to evade someone who was going towards me in my lane and it was a rainy evening so I was not able to see him clearly until he was close enough.
    Regards,

As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

Quote Originally Posted by mbutler755 View Post
    I own and love motorcycles. In March 2013, a young kid came right out in front of me and left me with two choices: 1) Hit his truck and fly over the bars or 2) Lay the bike down.

I chose to lay the bike down. It sucked. I hurt my knee while laying the bike down, but in doing so, I saved my own life. I spent four weeks on the couch and four months in PT. When my leg was better, I fixed my bike and got right back on it.
    Ouch. I definitely do not want to let the possibility of injury deter me from doing what I want. But Its stupid of me not to consider it. Its incidents like yours that are the worst. You could be the best bike rider in the world, but you cant control everyone else on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by mbutler755 View Post
    Advice: Go to a riding school. People go to school to learn coding and a bunch of other stuff. You might as well go learn how to ride. This is coming from somebody who has been riding motorcycles for more than 20 years. Any amount of knowledge and practice is good.
    The California DMV offers a training course. Doing the class through them waives the motorcycle test. I considers doing that course because a lot of people said taking a class is invaluable and the test is difficult even for an experienced rider.

I will be sure to take a class if/when I decide to get my license.

Quote Originally Posted by dee-u View Post
    I use motorcycle to commute everyday since 2006 and only crashed once when I tried to evade someone who was going towards me in my lane and it was a rainy evening so I was not able to see him clearly until he was close enough.
    I probably wont be riding in the rain to that eliminates any rain-related crashes. Head-on collisions are bad, hopefully you were not too injured as a result. Also, same as mbutler, your crash was caused by someone else fault.

It is fun. Just do it!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Those sound like famous last words to me.

I really like the Yamaha FZ6R

Ooof....a speed fanatic :-)

I'm just a relaxing type of driver. Normally I take the car to do my things. But when I'm a bit stressed I make a tour with the bike. Enjoying nature etc. Its clearing your mind and you can beat the world again.

I do love speed. But I am also extremely responsible and would take it easy for the first several... weeks... months... of riding.

If I get a bike and license I would only be riding for fun, or to get to friends house. As well as a nice stroll through the back roads. I enjoy going for rides in my car as it is, but since I bought my Ram 1500 V8 Hemi, its not as great on the wallet to go on long rides. Which is why I would want to have a bike to just drive around.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I know that motorcyclist go down a lot
    That's why I only date biker chicks.

You could be the best bike rider in the world, but you cant control everyone else on the road.
    Yes and No. You can ride more or less defensively. If you assume that everyone within a five mile radius is a blind idiot who has no respect for your right of way you can be pretty safe from other people's mistakes. Of course, you'll also be bored and frustrated so the truth is you'll find a balance somewhere between risk and boredom.
    You can depend upon the Americans to do the right thing. But only after they have exhausted every other possibility - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Of course, there's an increased risk. Many people mistake going from car driving to motorcycle driving is going from safe to not safe. If I recall, the statistics on motorcycle deaths are that 60% of those killed on a motorcycle were not wearing a helmet. You have to also realize, then, that the other 40% were wearing a helmet. It's not about the helmet, gear, and so on, but a holistic approach. Your mindset is part of that.

Take a skills course (American Motorcycle Foundation). Apply and practice those skills. Riding a motorcycle is an active activity, whereas driving a car tend to be a passive activity.

I like my HD Softail: comfortable, relaxing, and still missing about 50lbs of chrome.
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

I have two dirt bikes and thanks to Ohio laws they're both now registered & insured as street bikes... Something that's no longer allowed in the People's Republic of California. But I only ride on public roads in order to get to the trails where the real fun begins.

2008 Yamaha WR250R
    Name:  dirtybike_us250.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  178.3 KB

2012 Honda CRF450X
    Name:  20121003_180042.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  364.2 KB
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." -Jack Handey

Driving a car is a little TOO passive an activity. It is quite likely that your greatest danger will have nothing to do with your skill level, but with the drivers around you. I occasionally commute to work by bike (not motorbike, just regular road bike). Lots of drivers are very careful around bikes and pay attention to motorcycles. However, it only takes one. You have to be a bit more aware. You might drive on the interstate in a car for years without incident, then one day somebody merges into you without looking. In a car, that will generally result in some pretty serious damage to both vehicles. On a motorcycle....you may have nothing to worry about....ever again. The cost of stupidity is higher when you aren't contained in a crash-designed metal cage.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Still, looking on the bright side, it keeps organ transplant numbers up!
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Reviews: "dunfiddlin likes his DataTables" - jmcilhinney

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!

Quote Originally Posted by dunfiddlin View Post
    Still, looking on the bright side, it keeps organ transplant numbers up!
    Awesome!
    Regards,

Matt Butler, MBA, BSIT/SE, MCBP
    Owner, Intense IT, LLC
    Find us on Facebook
    Follow us on Twitter
    Link up on LinkedIn
    mb (at) i2t.us

CODE BANK SUBMISSIONS: Converting Images to Base64 and Back Again

Addicted Member

I have a Honda 600rr. They're fun to ride, I like track days more though!

I've gone down a few times at the track, but you have a full leather suit on. Twice on the street and that's when I actually got hurt. When I crashed on the street I broke my hand once and the other time I broke my foot.

Side note, there are two types of riders, ones that have gone down and ones that will.

I have talked to some friends about riding and they have all said "you will do something stupid. But once you do it, you wont do it again. You dont know until you do it."

I am going to take my time on my final decision. I have a habit of compulsive purchases and I don't want this to be one.

After all I have heard and read, I think that the satisfaction will be greater than the risk. And the risk is what makes it more enjoyable. I agree that normal driving is very passive, which is why I enjoy going off road and driving in the desert, it is more active driving. I also enjoy driving 2 lane highways where you get the opportunity to pass vehicles. Driving on these roads requires more active driving. Thats why I believe that I would enjoy a motorcycle, I enjoy more active driving.

I am going to take my time on my final decision. I have a habit of compulsive purchases and I don't want this to be one.
    Very good idea. We've probably all seen friends that go snow skiing or scuba diving one time...they had so much fun they go out and purchase all the top gear... They then go maybe one or two times more and then never again... Money down the tube.

Might want to look for sites like this:

Eaglerider Motorcycle Rentals & Tours
    http://www.eaglerider.com/?utm_sourc...gn=moto-rental

Quote Originally Posted by dclamp View Post
    Any motorcycle riders here? I have been really interested in getting my motorcycle license and getting a cheap used bike to ride around for fun. I have been watching a lot of videos on youtube and reading a lot about motorcycle riding. It sounds like a lot of fun, but, I know that motorcyclist go down a lot. And every day I work i hear the fire department responding to vehicle vs motorcycle.

Thoughts?
    I rode until I was about 26 years old, lost my left leg in an accident that was my fault, and never road again. I spent six months in the hospital, sixteen operations, and 3 1/2 years on crutches. They are lots of fun and as I mentioned the accident was my fault. All the same your body is out there exposed and lots of people don't pay attention to bikes. Life is a risk but you don't need to add to it unnecessarily.
    Please remember next time...elections matter!