Thread: Unexpected appearance of Windows WaitCursor

Fanatic Member

Unexpected appearance of Windows WaitCursor

I don't do anything with the cursor such as WaitCursor so it's not my code.

I have a datagridview. It's not bound to any database. I just use the datagridview because it's a handy way to display text and numbers in a nice table layout.

But occasionally, for no reason at all, windows changes the cursor to the spinning waitcursor thing when the mouse is over the grid as if the grid itself is doing something.

So, only when the pointer is over the grid. Not when the pointer is over any other parts of the form.

There's no mouseover event. There's no code running or anything so I have no idea why the waitcursor should appear. It doesn't always appear. I can go for days without seeing it. But when it appears it's always there when the pointer is over the grid. Only way to get rid of the wait cursor is to close the form.

I've read about a few cases where developers have a problem after setting the waitcursor while doing long tasks and then finding that they can't unset it again. In my case though I never touch the cursor. The grid's doing it on its own.

Any ideas ?

Re: Unexpected appearance of Windows WaitCursor

Well, it's allowed to, but I would agree that it doesn't seem reasonable. The OS can certainly put up the wait cursor if it is busy, but I can't think of anything in particular that happens with a mouse over a datagridview.You aren't doing anything on MouseEnter, MouseHover, MouseMove, or anything like that?
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Fanatic Member

No mouse events at all.

It happens very rarely, I can go a week or more without it happening, so it's not as if I'm thinking about it in advance.

I think it's when I'm working on some other window in front of the grid and then when that window is closed and the form with the grid gets focus again I guess the form has to redraw itself and the grid repaints. At that moment I can imagine the OS would display the waitcursor - but then forgets to unset it ? But that would sound like a bug in the OS or the framework/grid component.

I've noticed it a few times but no user of my program ever mentioned it so I assumed it was just a glitch in my own machine. But yesterday one other guy mentioned it so I think other users are seeing it but not mentioning it because it's so uncommon.

It's not unknown for the system to 'forget' to release the wait cursor. I get it quite a lot using the Chrome browser so it may well be something you've just got to live with, unfortunately.
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Reviews: "dunfiddlin likes his DataTables" - jmcilhinney

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!