Thread: calculate from data table

calculate from data table

'i have a tblFreightdataset with the following Coloum and row
    ID FreightType Value FrightValue
    1 CIF 0.00 []
    2 FOB 0.015 []
    3 CFR 0.015 []

manual calculation from a button Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
    Dim CIF As Double = 0
    Dim FOB As Double = 0.015
    Dim CFR As Double = 0.015
    Dim Cost As Double = txbCostValue.Text
    Dim Freight As Double = txbFreightAmount.Text
    If cmbFreightType.Text = "CIF" Then txbInsureanceAmount.Text = (Cost + Freight) * CIF
    ElseIf cmbFreightType.Text = "FOB" Then txbInsureanceAmount.Text = (Cost + Freight) * FOB
    ElseIf cmbFreightType.Text = "CFR" Then
    IF cmbFreightType.Text= "CFR" Then
    txbFreightAmount.Text= 0
    End If
    txbInsureanceAmount.Text = (Cost + Freight) * CFR

End If
    End Sub

the code above work as it should but that the manual way
    i want to be able to select from cmbFreightType and it search my table for the matching string and calculate as above my table has a check box if check then my txbFreightAmount = 0
    my forum is already bind to the dataset in the program so hence i dont need to do a conection

Re: calculate from data table

if check then my txbFreightAmount = 0
    Huh? Why do you need that? Can't you just record a zero and have done with it? Not a lot makes any sense here. How can the value of 'CIF' be 0.00? Nothing can be carried free, can it? And if it can, what's the purpose of ...

If cmbFreightType.Text = "CIF" Then txbInsureanceAmount.Text = (Cost + Freight) * CIF ?

This can only ever have the value 0 so why calculate it at all? And what's

ElseIf cmbFreightType.Text = "CFR" Then
    IF cmbFreightType.Text= "CFR" Then
    txbFreightAmount.Text= 0

... do for you? You appear to be charging for a non-existent load!
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Reviews: "dunfiddlin likes his DataTables" - jmcilhinney

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!

Wow. There were rumors that dunfiddlin was back, but now it's official.

One thing I would say about the code, in addition to what dun already said, is that you should really turn Option Strict ON for the project and fix the errors. You are doing some dangerous implicit conversions. Leave a textbox blank, or enter an invalid string, and the code you have will crash when it fails to implicitly convert the contents of the textbox (which HAS to be a string) into a number. To safely and correctly convert data from a textbox to a number you should be using Double.TryParse. If you could be certain that the string was in good shape, you could use CDbl, but when it's user input, you can never trust the user....even if it's just you.

Another point is that when using money, the better data type to use is Decimal rather than Double. The Double data type has some little imprecisions that can eventually add up to a penny or two.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

no the text box wont be left blank it will always have a value the reason it need to be 0 if check in case some one place a value in the check box it will turn it in to 0 as that CFR mean the freight is already in the cost value so that box need to be 0 do u understand?

i am in to shipping of cars and there are ways and mean of transporting them. if i am going by sea i use CIF, CFR, FOB
    CIF mean i bought the with freight and insurance into the price. so my insurance and freight box need to be 0
    CFR mean i bought the car with freight but no insurance. so my freight box need to be 0 and my insurance box will be 0.015 * cost box
    FOB mean i bought the car with no insurance or freight so i have to put in a freight value manually and it is added to the cost then * the insurance 0.015

do u understand?
    Er .. is that rhetorical?
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwaynewayne View Post
    i am in to shipping of cars and there are ways and mean of transporting them. if i am going by sea i use CIF, CFR, FOB
    CIF mean i bought the with freight and insurance into the price. so my insurance and freight box need to be 0
    CFR mean i bought the car with freight but no insurance. so my freight box need to be 0 and my insurance box will be 0.015 * cost box
    FOB mean i bought the car with no insurance or freight so i have to put in a freight value manually and it is added to the cost then * the insurance 0.015
    Ok that makes a little more sense but it's hard to see just how that translates to the datatable that you originally proposed. There is no mystery to datatable calculations. You simply add a new DataColumn to the table and set its Expression property. See the MSDN blurb here. If you've any familiarity with spreadsheets you should have few problems applying the principles although the datatable expression is slightly more limited (you can only refer to values in the same datatrow, for example).

yes that is what i want just the value in the row what i dont want to so is every time i add a new row i have to write a line of code
    i am pretty much a newbie to this i am about a week in to programing

Shouldn't it be 1 if by land and 2 if by sea?

(it is likely that only Americans will get that)

It doesn't really matter whether the controls should always be filled in or not. With the code you have, if the user makes a mistake the program will crash out. That's not a good thing to do. The reason for this is due to the implicit conversions you are using. Option Strict ON prevents you from making mistakes like that. Additionally, explicit conversions are faster than implicit conversions, though you'll never see the difference in that code, as it would be a tiny fraction of a millisecond.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing