Thread: Help!Deleting Files is slow on Windows 2000!

Hyperactive Member

Help!Deleting Files is slow on Windows 2000!

When i click on a file and hit delete in Windows Explorer, it takes 10-20 seconds!! Why? Its pretty much instant on my win98se pc at home. its instant in dos on this machine.

Does anyone have any ideas? Do you have this problem? I cant remember now if its always happened or if it appeared one day. i think it may have appeared.

Any ideas, please let me know!!
    Thanks,
    Alex (pallex@my-deja.com)

transcendental analytic kedaman's Avatar
    you are holding shift down while you delete are you?
    Use
    writing software in C++ is like driving rivets into steel beam with a toothpick.
    writing haskell makes your life easier:
    reverse (p (6*9)) where p x|x==0=""|True=chr (48+z): p y where (y,z)=divMod x 13
    To throw away OOP for low level languages is myopia, to keep OOP is hyperopia. To throw away OOP for a high level language is insight.

So..
    You have to Keep a Heavy weight on the shift key and
    Free your hands.. It will work then !
    If you can't beat your computer at chess, try kickboxing !!!
    [Download Tag Editing Tools.]

Wink i want to know

Who is stupid enough to use the recycling bin these days?
    Use
    writing software in C++ is like driving rivets into steel beam with a toothpick.
    reverse (p (6*9)) where p x|x==0=""|True=chr (48+z): p y where (y,z)=divMod x 13
    To throw away OOP for low level languages is myopia, to keep OOP is hyperopia. To throw away OOP for a high level language is insight.

Talking

Well I store many of the Readme.txt files there !

i compress my crap
    Use

Hyperactive Member
    Yes, it does appear to be recycle bin related. My recycle bin isnt full. Its set to 10%, which on my pc means 1.9 gig! I just cleared out all but about 500meg from it. (Another bug - delete some files from within the recycle bin - when its done it will refresh the recycle bin every 2 secs, making it impossible to use!!! isnt windows just
    bloody hilarious?!)

So its still doing it! there appear to be no options on the recycle bin which could affect this (i was hoping to find `auto compress contents` but no!).

and no sign of this bug anywhere on microsofts site.

Guess i have the choice of waiting 20 secs per file or losing the benefit of the recycle bin (assuming i remember to press shift!)

cheers,
    alex.

20 secs per file? Hmm now it sounds like you have some real problems, that is with the harddrive. Have you tried defragment your harddrive once in a while? How much free do you have? How fast does it delete with shift-delete? are you deleting files from another drive and have common recycling bin not on that drive?
    Use

Hyperactive Member
    >20 secs per file?

10-20 secs, yep. not per file. per bunch of files. ie, 1 file or 20 files takes about the same amount of time.

>Hmm now it sounds like you have some real problems, that is with the harddrive. Have you tried defragment your harddrive once in a while? How much free do you have?

hd is fine!! 20 gig drive,11.7 gig free! defragged! everything else works fine!! so NOT a hd fault!

>How fast does it delete with shift-delete?

its instant!

>are you deleting files from another drive and have common recycling bin not on that drive?

nope, just one 20 gig drive!!!

strange, isnt it!

thanks,
    alex.

yeah very strange, maybe you should empty your recycle bin once and for all and then try delete something
    Use

Do you have the habit of De-fragmenting your drive ??

I've it sheduled to run two times a week when idle for 5 minutes
    Use