dcsimg

Thread: [RESOLVED] sum of columns in sql which includes null values

Addicted Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] sum of columns in sql which includes null values

I'm trying to retrieve a field based on a condition as follows.

A11, A13, A21 and A23 are the columns (Number data_type) may contain null values.

My condtion is : Retrieve SubID where (A11+A13-A21) <> A.23

I Put it in Sql like this which throws an error. How to handle Null Values in this case ? My DataBase is MS Access 2007

vSql = "Select SubID from Table31 where Stat = 2 and (ISNULL(A11,0)+ ISNULL(A13,0)- ISNULL(A21,0)) <> (ISNULL(A23,0))"

Re: sum of columns in sql which includes null values

remove the under bracket after And
    Sorry for bad english.

@ryan -- what?

@raghavendran -- well since you didn't see fit to tell us what the error is, we'd only be guessing, which is what Ryan is probably doing. ... ah... OK.... IsNull is the problem... it doesn't work the same in Access as it does else where... in access it is a function which returns a boolean indicating if the value is null or not... the function you're trying to use there is NZ() ...

ISNULL documentation - http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...001228867.aspx
    NZ documentation - http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...001228890.aspx

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Addicted Member

My Query is :

vSql = "Select SubID from Table31 where Stat = 2 and (ISNULL(A11,0)+ ISNULL(A12,0)- ISNULL(A13,0)+ ISNULL(A14,0)- ISNULL(A15,0)+ ISNULL(A16,0)- ISNULL(A17,0)) <> ISNULL(A18,0)"
    Set vRs = New Recordset
    vRs.Open vSql, cnnRice, adOpenKeyset, adLockOptimistic

These are the error messages I get with IsNULL and NZ

Using NZ:
    Name:  Img1.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  13.5 KB

Using ISNull:
    Name:  Img2.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  19.7 KB

using IsNull is NOT going to solve your problem... stop trying to use it... it takes ONE parameter AND ONLY ONE... and will return true or false... not a number... thus the second error.
    as for why Nz isn't working, couldn't say since you didn't post that code...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by RhinoBull View Post
    If you are using MS SQL then IsNull is the way to go.
    If you are using MS Access then I think you need to use IIf(IsNull(...),...) sort of logic.
    ahh you ryt rhino, i didn't see that he's using MS Access before..
    Sorry for bad english.

Nz(,) is the Access version of ISNULL(,) but it is a function of the Access application and not the Access driver, it will fail if you try to use it from outside the Access application, that's why you'll getting the "Undefined function 'NZ'.." error.

Addicted Member

techgnome.. Here is my code using NZ.

Code:
    vSql = "Select SubID from Table31 where Stat = 2 and (NZ(A11,0)+ NZ(A12,0)- NZ(A13,0)+ NZ(A14,0)- NZ(A15,0)+ NZ(A16,0)- NZ(A17,0)) <> NZ(A18,0)"
    Set vRs = New Recordset
    vRs.Open vSql, cnnRice, adOpenKeyset, adLockOptimistic

PowerPoster

As Rhino pointed out earlier, maybe you should try the IIF with IsNull logic
    Code:
    Select SubID from Table31 where Stat = 2 and ((IIF(IsNull(A11),0,A11) + IIF(IsNull(A12),0,A12) - IIF(IsNull(A13),0,A13) + IIF(IsNull(A14),0,A14) - IIF(IsNull(A15),0,A15) + IIF(IsNull(A16),0,A16) - IIF(IsNull(A17),0,A17)) <> IIF(IsNull(A18),0,A18))"

Addicted Member

Re: [RESOLVED] sum of columns in sql which includes null values

Yes.. Yes... Yes... IIF(ISNull method resoves its... Thanks for all your support ...