Thread: VB command line

Addicted Member

VB command line

I have programmed some basic windows programs before but have had little to no experience making command line programs. I have tried searching for the answer but I do not know what the correct term to use is.

This is what I want to know:

I want to build a tool that can make modifications to the file system and registry in Windows without Windows being loaded. The reason being is this tool needs to be able to delete files and folders along with making modifications of the registry even if those items are in use at the time. I know a common method is rebooting the computer and then doing these modifications before explorer.exe loads. I am guessing this is not possible which is why a majority of these type of tools are built in C but I want some expert into this.

An example of a tool I am looking to build would be Combofix. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/

Thank you in advance

Re: VB command line

I want to build a tool that can make modifications to the file system and registry in Windows without Windows being loaded.
    I don't think you can do that in .net sorry. You need to look at a language that will create program that will run without windows
    kevin
    Process control doesn't give you good quality, it gives you consistent quality.
    Good quality comes from consistently doing the right things.

Vague general questions have vague general answers.
    A $100 donation is required for me to help you if you PM me asking for help. Instructions for donating to one of our local charities will be provided.

assembly language will operate in real-mode -- Or you could write the changes into a batch file and run it before windows loads.

You can also build an application that will manipulate files through the windows program... Is it specifically an antivirus program that you wish to make, or just something that manipulates files?

If you want to create a commandline tool using VB.NET then you create a Console Application project. Such applications can be run just like any other commandline tools, e.g. as a non-interactive user from a scheduled task.