Thread: [RESOLVED] count non blank cells in data area within table object - result isn't what I expected

Lively Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] count non blank cells in data area within table object - result isn't what I expected

Hi

I have a 2 row table object named 'Header' that fills range A6 to L7. Row 6 is the header and row 7 has the data. I want to count the number of non blank cells in row 7 but I only get the value 1 returned when I expect 11 (I have removed one cell value from row 7 for the purpose of testing). The code I'm using is below.

In the 'immediate' window I see that .Address is showing $A$6:$L$7 so I was feeling quote positive.

Code:
    ?application.worksheetfunction.CountA(listobjects("Header").DataBodyRange.Address)
    Any idea where I'm going wrong?

Thanks

Re: count non blank cells in data area within table object - result isn't what I expe

You have two ways to get it.
    1 - via excel formula, look at the image below.

Name:  CountNonEnptyCells.png
Views: 555
Size:  6.7 KB

2 - via vba code.

Code:
    Sub countNonEnptyCells()
        Sheets(1).Range("a4").Value = Application.WorksheetFunction.CountA(Range("a2:L2"))
    End Sub
    Note: Spanish Excel here. English Formula: =CountA(A2:L2)

HTH
    Last edited by 3com; Dec 10th, 2013 at 07:37 AM.

Lively Member

Re: count non blank cells in data area within table object - result isn't what I expe

Sure. thanks for that.

I just want to make sure I'm not missing any "table" related function / feature that gives the same result. I mean, most what is in the COUNTA is covered using table related properties (listobjects("Header").DataBodyRange.Address). It's just the result that I get isn't what I expect.

Lively Member

fixed it using the following;
    Code:
    Application.WorksheetFunction.CountA(Range(ListObjects("Header").DataBodyRange.Address))

PowerPoster

Re: [RESOLVED] count non blank cells in data area within table object - result isn't

Code:
    Application.WorksheetFunction.CountA(range("header"))
    should also work
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

come back and mark your original post as resolved if your problem is fixed
    pete