dcsimg

Thread: I have a problem

I have a problem

I am new to this site, and very new, to visual basic. In fact in relative terms, I am still new to programming, even though I h ave owned a computer since 1994. I never really took it up as a hobby. I have a game I can play in simulator mode only, as the game was discontinued on the internet last year. it is called jumpgate. There is a text window I can type messages to other players, there is also a device called a rotacol, which will allow you put co-ordinates in, and then you can fly to that point in space. I wanted to know how I could create a program that would allow me to select that co-ordinate and then send it to the text window within the game. Can anyone help please.

Android OpenGL ES Guru Jacob Roman's Avatar

Re: I have a problem

It might be next to impossible even with Visual Basic as well as C++ and here is why. Although you can predetermine mouse positions and click it without the use of a mouse, there is no way of knowing the in game coordinates for the coordinate system. Even if you were to read pointers (which are memory addresses in memory) and find out that way, odds are it won't be the same address later on even on another machine especially if those addresses in memory are in use by another program, thus making what you asked for an impossible task. As for sending that coordinate to a text window in the game, if the game is using DirectX (which almost all games for the PC are these days) and the text window is an image polygon, theres still no way of knowing where in memory where the text is being written because it could end up being a different address in memory every time. Now if it were a textbox (which no games these days use) then it would be possible because you can use Spy++ to find the subobjects used by a particular window.

Since you are new to programming, I suggest you start with easy programs and work your way up. A task like this can't even be done even by experienced programmers. If you decide to make games later on, learn the basics of the language you use and then you can jump into the world of DirectX yourself. I am a DirectX guru if you need help making DirectX games

Quote Originally Posted by apwin98 View Post
    I am new to this site, and very new, to visual basic. In fact in relative terms, I am still new to programming, even though I h ave owned a computer since 1994. I never really took it up as a hobby. I have a game I can play in simulator mode only, as the game was discontinued on the internet last year. it is called jumpgate. There is a text window I can type messages to other players, there is also a device called a rotacol, which will allow you put co-ordinates in, and then you can fly to that point in space. I wanted to know how I could create a program that would allow me to select that co-ordinate and then send it to the text window within the game. Can anyone help please.
    I know it can be done, because we used to have a similar program that did just what i am trying to do, but because the game is no more, the program is no longer available. So i do know it can be done. So i guess i will continue to keep looking.

Lively Member

Perhaps you can use AHK (autohotkey). http://www.autohotkey.com/
    AHK is a simple scripting a bit like VB, but its designed for automating other programs. Finding windows etc.
    It's free and very well documented. You can even use it to create a small program

Quote Originally Posted by DracullSoft View Post
    Perhaps you can use AHK (autohotkey). http://www.autohotkey.com/
    AHK is a simple scripting a bit like VB, but its designed for automating other programs. Finding windows etc.
    It's free and very well documented. You can even use it to create a small program
    Thank you i will give it a go.