Thread: Is ReactOS a credible project?

Is ReactOS a credible project?

Hello,

I would very much like to know what you think about ReactOS. Now that Microsoft is threatening to lock down classic Windows, the chase for its successor may start shortly. Do you think ReactOS may play a role among the operating systems of the future?

For those of you who don't know ReactOS, this is how its Web site describes it:

ReactOS® is a free open source operating system based on the best design principles found in the Windows NT® architecture (Windows versions such as Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows Server 2012 are built on Windows NT architecture). Written completely from scratch, ReactOS is not a Linux based system, and shares none of the UNIX architecture.

The main goal of the ReactOS® project is to provide an operating system which is binary compatible with Windows. This will allow your Windows® applications and drivers to run as they would on your Windows system. Additionally, the look and feel of the Windows operating system is used, such that people accustomed to the familiar user interface of Windows® would find using ReactOS straightforward. The ultimate goal of ReactOS® is to allow you to use it as alternative to Windows® without the need to change software you are used to.
    You may also want to watch this interesting videoclip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVXt_dELZNo#t=475

Waiting for your feedback.
    Since I discovered Delphi and Lazarus, VB has become history to me.

PowerPoster

Re: Is ReactOS a credible project?

If you wander too far from the mainstream you become a sort of computer version of Jeremiah Johnson.

Nothing wrong with it as an OS, but effectively nobody uses it and are unlikely to in the future. So when everyone leaves Windows where are you left?

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    If you wander too far from the mainstream you become a sort of computer version of Jeremiah Johnson.

Nothing wrong with it as an OS, but effectively nobody uses it and are unlikely to in the future. So when everyone leaves Windows where are you left?
    Please consider that ReactOS 0.3.15 is still in alpha stage. Obviously, right now nobody uses it at work. I disagree with your conclusion that it is unlikely that people will use it in the future, though. If it gets improved, it would be equivalent to a free version of Windows. Why should PC users dislike it?

PowerPoster

The vast majority of PC users only run what comes preinstalled on a computer. When they leave Windows they'll likely buy a Mac, a Chromebook, or an Android PC or tablet.

Desktop Linux distributions (i.e. "hacked together grab bags of stuff on top of the Linux kernel") have effectively zero installed base and yet they probably far, far outstrip the number of ReactOS PCs that will ever exist.

Even if people did stick with Windows they'd want to run those Store Apps, and ReactOS is very unlikely to ever support those.

I think you are grasping at very thin straws, but at least you are thinking about the potential problem we face in the next few years.

The vast majority of PC users only run what comes preinstalled on a computer. When they leave Windows they'll likely buy a Mac, a Chromebook, or an Android PC or tablet.

Desktop Linux distributions (i.e. "hacked together grab bags of stuff on top of the Linux kernel") have effectively zero installed base and yet they probably far, far outstrip the number of ReactOS PCs that will ever exist.

Even if people did stick with Windows they'd want to run those Store Apps, and ReactOS is very unlikely to ever support those.

I think you are grasping at very thin straws, but at least you are thinking about the potential problem we face in the next few years.
    Dilettante, I'm afraid you are missing a very important point. Here we may be in the presence of something revolutionary.

Right now, the compatibility problem with Win32/Win64 software does not exist because even Windows 8.1 guarantees full compatibility with it. Nevertheless, if with the release of Windows 9 Microsoft decides to break compatibility with it (i.e. if they decide to lock down the desktop), customers and vendors will be forced to look for an alternative OS capable of running classic Windows applications.

If you consider that even world political leaders are taking React OS into serious consideration, you can understand that we are not in the presence of one of those many open source tools which die away in a couple of years. ReactOS is much more than that:

Demonstrations of the operating system have been given, mainly to Russian political figures. Viktor Alksnis has met with current project coordinator Aleksey Bragin, who gave a presentation and demonstration of the project, showing ReactOS running with Total Commander and Mozilla Firefox in 2007.Dmitry Medvedev was also given a demonstration during a visit as President of Russia to a high school in Verhnerusskoe, Stavropol, attended by one of the development team members in 2011. On July 31, 2012 Vladimir Putin was also given a demonstration during his visit as President of Russia to Seliger Youth Forum, attended by Marat Karatov, one of the development team members.
    You may also want to read this article written by BBC journalist Katia Moskvitch:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14899507

Again, right now no machine comes with ReactOS pre-installed because it is not a mature OS yet. But things may change dramatically as soon as ReactOS 1.0 is released.

I find it interesting. Frankly, I don't believe MS will lock down anything. I think they're doing nothing more than testing the waters, but will draw back from the brink. This is an interesting alterantive.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

I read that 2011 BBC article. Interestingly (and quite tellingly) it states:

It is expected to be available before October 2012.
    Last time I looked it is more than a year past that!

Microsoft hasn't said anything about breaking compatibility, just preventing you from installing any arbitrary software. You will only be able to install things they approve, and that is a limited set of desktop programs in addition to WinRT Store Apps. They will probably only have to add hard-coded AppLocker rules.

I read that 2011 BBC article. Interestingly (and quite tellingly) it states: "It is expected to be available before October 2012."

Last time I looked it is more than a year past that!
    The author of the article was referring to Windows 8, not to ReactOS.

PowerPoster

Ok, that may be a more accurate reading of the ambiguous statement.

So in your research have you found anything announcing an expected release date for ReactOS 1.0?

Have you tried out any of the beta releases?

Ok, that may be a more accurate reading of the ambiguous statement.
    So in your research have you found anything announcing an expected release date for ReactOS 1.0?
    The developers who are currently working on it need funds. Mr Putin promised he would take ReactOS into serious consideration. If the Russian government sponsors the project, you can be sure version 1.0 will be released in a matter of months.

Have you tried out any of the beta releases?
    Yes, I have. A few months ago I installed one of the latest versions. My apps and VB5 (I never used VB6) ran just fine, but I've read about people having issues with more complex applications.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by esposito; Dec 1st, 2013 at 02:27 PM.

Here are some screenshots showing more software you can install on ReactOS:

http://technoemperor.blogspot.it/200...native-to.html

To dilettante: if you would like to develop software for your beloved Android on ReactOS, be aware that Eclipse can be installed and used without any problems.
    Attached Images Attached Images