Thread: checkbox & messagebox help

checkbox & messagebox help

I'm making an online pizza menu for my final project. I have everything pretty much complete but for the toppings, you have to use check boxes. I have them set up but i want a messagebox to label to popup when im done picking all the toppings and i want it to basically tell me the toppings i chose for each pizza. so if i pick small pizza i wanna be able to choose toppings click add, then a message box will pop up and tell me what i added on my pizza, then i will be able to choose my next pizza and those toppings. I know it sounds confusing but i have the idea in my head its just hard to type out.

cheers mark

Re: checkbox & messagebox help

Do you have any code yet? where is the problem?
    More important than the will to succeed, is the will to prepare for success.

Please rate the posts, your comments are the fuel to keep helping people

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by pyromark View Post
    I know it sounds confusing but i have the idea in my head its just hard to type out.
    Your code speaks a thousand words, especially if it's accompanied by a clear description of what part doesn't work as expected and why.

@Kaliman. Are you going to do pyromark's homework again so that he/she doesn't need to think, apply him/herself or actually learn anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Españolita View Post
    Your code speaks a thousand words, especially if it's accompanied by a clear description of what part doesn't work as expected and why.

@Kaliman. Are you going to do pyromark's homework again so that he/she doesn't need to think, apply him/herself or actually learn anything?
    Is that an actual concern from you or are you just trying to be graciosa?

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by kaliman79912 View Post
    Is that an actual concern from you or are you just trying to be graciosa?
    It's a real concern. I was under the impression this site was to help people learn. That's the reason I visit - to learn and to help to teach. Most other people here think the same. Simply giving code/solutions actually harms the OP's learning.

There is a difference between teaching members and writing members home work for them. You would not be given home work with out spending time in class covering the topics.

whoa guys, lol relax. My project is near complete, i was basically asking if it was possible to show checkbox text appear in a large label or messagebox. No need to fight, im not asking to write my code. im asking a question to see if its possible. i see that all ppl do is fight on this forum so i shouldnt even be asking it or visiting this site i guess anymore.

sure, you would need to loop through the checkboxes...

If CheckBox?.Checked Then...

sString &= CheckBox?.Text.ToString & ControlChars.NewLine

End If

MessageBox.Show(sString)

whoa guys, lol relax. My project is near complete, i was basically asking if it was possible to show checkbox text appear in a large label or messagebox. No need to fight, im not asking to write my code. im asking a question to see if its possible. i see that all ppl do is fight on this forum so i shouldnt even be asking it or visiting this site i guess anymore.
    No One fights on this forum. Just we constantly get asked home work questions. You provided no code.

I wasn't having you write my project, like i wrote, i am practically done with it. was just curious to know if i was able to do something like that. sorry

Then post what you have done. We done mind looking over it.

nothing to do with what i have done lol. was asking if ITS POSSIBLE TO DO THAT.

So is it possible for me to make a checkbox text proptery show up in a multiline label? so if more than one is checked, they will both show up?

Quote Originally Posted by ident View Post
    cant remember how long ago i wrote this. Can be improved loads

http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb...8425&lngWId=10
    Lulz.... Wow, talk about make him put his foot in his mouth..

he's answering my question not writing my code @Gale_i, thats called a good guy. thanks for the comment though.

I apologize if this thread got sidetracked. If you read it through you will see that neither pyromark, me or anyone else was trying to do anyone's homework here. The discussion changed gears because of an off-topic, out of context, aggressive comment Españolita made against me because I provided a piece of code to pyro in an ancient thread. I do not believe that one was making his homework either as it was just a fragment of a whole program he was obviously making an effort to code himself, but she thought so and commented on it. I let it go then, no problem, she can have her opinion. But then she hunts me down here and without provocation keeps at it as if I offended her in some way.

Sorry again, and let's get back on topic.

Discovering Life Siddharth Rout's Avatar

The best way to find out if it is possible or not is to test it yourself first. You could do that by reading documentation and then by testing few codes. If you are still stuck then show us what you tried and where are you stuck. If you would have done that, all this discussion wouldn't have happened

As far as your comment regarding people fighting here, I don't see where is this coming from? VBForums has a niche "collection" of experts from various fields and different mindsets which is but obvious and expected. And hence you will see lot of discussions happening. The discussion that you see above is very common where members want to ensure that in the "End" you "Learn" something. And the best way to learn is not via spoon feeding.
    A good exercise for the Heart is to bend down and help another up...
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved

MyGear:
    ★ CPU ★ Ryzen 5 5800X
    ★ GPU ★ NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 TI Founder Edition
    ★ RAM ★ G. Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB 3600MHz
    ★ MB ★ ASUS TUF GAMING X570 (WI-FI) ATX Gaming
    ★ Storage ★ SSD SB-ROCKET-1TB + SEAGATE 2TB Barracuda IHD
    ★ Cooling ★ NOCTUA NH-D15 CHROMAX BLACK 140mm + 10 of Noctua NF-F12 PWM
    ★ PSU ★ ANTEC HCG-1000-EXTREME 1000 Watt 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular PSU
    ★ Case ★ LIAN LI PC-O11 DYNAMIC XL ROG (BLACK) (G99.O11DXL-X)
    ★ Monitor ★ LG Ultragear 27" 240Hz Gaming Monitor
    ★ Keyboard ★ TVS Electronics Gold Keyboard
    ★ Mouse ★ Logitech G502 Hero

Quote Originally Posted by Siddharth Rout View Post
    The best way to find out if it is possible or not is to test it yourself first. You could do that by reading documentation and then by testing few codes. If you are still stuck then show us what you tried and where are you stuck. If you would have done that, all this discussion wouldn't have happened

As far as your comment regarding people fighting here, I don't see where is this coming from? VBForums has a niche "collection" of experts from various fields and different mindsets which is but obvious and expected. And hence you will see lot of discussions happening. The discussion that you see above is very common where members want to ensure that in the "End" you "Learn" something. And the best way to learn is not via spoon feeding.
    @ the spoon feeding remark...

I'm sorry but in theory you seem correct, but in reality I don't know anyone who didn't learn by looking at functional code...... Am I correct or not?

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gale_i View Post
    I don't know anyone who didn't learn by looking at functional code...... Am I correct or not?
    I would have agreed with you when I was a teenager. That is exactly how I learnt BASIC.
    Now, however, I'm older and wiser and simply getting the answers you need from the internet does not help learning in any way. In fact, a scientific study has found that the ease of finding answers on the internet has actually changed the way our brains are wired slightly because we do not feel the need to remember things any more.
    The best way to learn is to get guidance, try, find errors, try to correct them, ask for more guidance and repeat.
    Slow? Yes. Laborious? Yes. but effective? You betcha!

This thread is now well and truly sidetracked, no wonder the OP started a new one :/

Karen Payne MVP kareninstructor's Avatar

What I might do, setup a data source such as a text file, xml file or database table that holds the topping choices. Read the choices into CheckBoxes dynamically into a Panel control on a form where AutoScroll for the panel is set to True. Then when a button is pressed you could cycle thru the checkboxes that we created, check the Checked property, if true remember it into a list or array. If there are checked items store them with the pizza selected then un-check them when the pizza is finalized, if no toppings tell the user there are no toppings selected.

Personally I would use a database if possible, second choice a xml file which can be read in via DataSet.ReadXml.

In form load you read the data in, create the CheckBoxes. In the button to select the toppings loop thru the checkboxes via for/next or a LINQ statement.

Sample screenshots
    Name:  Boring.png
Views: 97
Size:  29.8 KBName:  WithTopping.png
Views: 101
Size:  33.6 KB

Discovering Life Siddharth Rout's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gale_i View Post
    @ the spoon feeding remark...

I'm sorry but in theory you seem correct, but in reality I don't know anyone who didn't learn by looking at functional code...... Am I correct or not?
    If I agreed with you then we both will be wrong.

I am from the old school where they teach you to try first by putting in efforts. I am a firm believer of exploring and learning. I learn by trying my self first and if I get stuck then I look for "outside" help. But anyways let's not sidetrack this thread anymore. If you want to continue this discussion then feel free to send me a pm and we can continue there
    A good exercise for the Heart is to bend down and help another up...
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved

MyGear:
    ★ CPU ★ Ryzen 5 5800X
    ★ GPU ★ NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 TI Founder Edition
    ★ RAM ★ G. Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB 3600MHz
    ★ MB ★ ASUS TUF GAMING X570 (WI-FI) ATX Gaming
    ★ Storage ★ SSD SB-ROCKET-1TB + SEAGATE 2TB Barracuda IHD
    ★ Cooling ★ NOCTUA NH-D15 CHROMAX BLACK 140mm + 10 of Noctua NF-F12 PWM
    ★ PSU ★ ANTEC HCG-1000-EXTREME 1000 Watt 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular PSU
    ★ Case ★ LIAN LI PC-O11 DYNAMIC XL ROG (BLACK) (G99.O11DXL-X)
    ★ Monitor ★ LG Ultragear 27" 240Hz Gaming Monitor
    ★ Keyboard ★ TVS Electronics Gold Keyboard
    ★ Mouse ★ Logitech G502 Hero