Thread: [RESOLVED] Need Help in Designing Logic of a School Database. One for each year or Only One??

Lively Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Need Help in Designing Logic of a School Database. One for each year or Only One??

For a school software there will be settings that won't change and students that will change. Should I create a new database for each year? Or just enter students and change their 'Grade/Standard' Year by Year?. I might need data from previous years like fees,marks etc..

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Re: Need Help in Designing Logic of a School Database. One for each year or Only One?

Normally you would create just one database and include several years worth of data in it. Your records will have year as a field which will allow you to distinguish different years worth of data.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Re: Need Help in Designing Logic of a School Database. One for each year or Only One?

In our student management system we have a STUDENT table and an ENTRY table. The STUDENT table has one row for a student regardless of when they came into the school district and regardless of how many years they have been enrolled.

The ENTRY table has a row for each ENTRY DATE that a student has in a school year. The PRIMARY KEY of that table is STUDENT ID + SCHOOL YEAR + ENTRY DATE. It is in this ENTRY table that we associate a GRADE level and BUILDING assignment for a student.

This design allows a student to come and go several times in a year and also to change GRADE levels or BUILDING assignments within a year.

Most other tables have the SCHOOL YEAR as part of the primary key as well.

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Lively Member

Well this software has additional accounting, and other tasks. Let Me Try T.Y.

Ok... so what? I work on a software that tracks people, money, events, all kinds of ... stuff ... it's all in one set of tables... in other words, we're not creating new tables for each year... good gravy that would amount to an insane... no INSAAAAAANE number of tables. Some of our clients have been on it for years... and they track hundreds of thousands of people in it... their databases are big enough as it is, I'd hate to see how it would swell if we rolled over each year into new tables... and all the duplicated data.... ungh... I don't even want to think about it. Trust us... you want only ONE set of tables. If you need to differentiate between different years, then that becomes a characteristic of the data, not the database.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *