Thread: What is your favorite Designing Tool?

Banned

What is your favorite Designing Tool?

There are plenty of designing tools out there, what is your most favorite one?

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Re: What is your favorite Designing Tool?

Paper & Pen, or maybe a whiteboard and some post-its !

Or is that not what your after ?
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Agree on whiteboard and lot's of paper!

Design tools: (in no particular order)

Pen & paper
    Viso
    Excel
    Post-it notes
    Paint/GIMP
    Whiteboard

Just kind of depends on what I'm designing at the time.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

I like using a Jigsaw. I cut out objects from 3/4" plywood and arrange them on the floor where they are stuck with rubber cement (so that they can be pulled up for 'refactoring').

Frankly, I started off with riffing on the idea that design tools could mean anything, but then I just went with it in a free-form approach.

When it comes to program design tools, I like pen/paper and MS Word.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

I was tempted to post a smart remark like "French Curve." But I was worried most people here wouldn't know one if they sat on it, and would probably assume it was sexual innuendo.

It's amazing what people are no longer exposed to in school.

I haven't used one of those in ages...
    I suppose it could be handy for developing non-square windows... :-/

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

I think French curves have been badly neglected. DotNet stuff like Graphics.DrawCurve draws spline curves; and they are ... well, so spliny. Yuk. Bezier curves are much nicer, as you would expect from something invented by a Frenchman. Like French wines and French women, they have a certain je ne sais quoi, but I don't know what it is. I can't quite put my finger on it, particularly in the case of the French women.

BB

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoutdv View Post
    Agree on whiteboard and lot's of paper!
    I agree on those, but i think it also depends on what are you going to do

PowerPoster

I thought the question was clear: he's designing. Who or what he or she has designs on is another matter.

type Woss is new Grumpy; wossname's Avatar

Diptrace, no question about it. It's marvellous.
    I don't live here any more.

For me it has to be chalk and slate you just can't beat it

I like to use pencil and paper. The pencil lets me erase stuff afterwards.

On a non-related note, an eraser is usually called rubber in India. I was looking for an eraser at a local staples store and, when approached for assistance, blurted out that I am looking for rubbers. The sales clerk promptly pointed me towards the Walgreens store outside the window and said "We don't carry them here. The pharmacy next door should have plenty of those!"
    Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'
    save a blobFileStreamDataTable To Text Filemy blog

PowerPoster

Does writing your name in the snow count?

Ooo...The OP is banned. Anybody got any sauce on this ?
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

I started to mention that maybe they changed their status tag... but with only the 1 post, they wouldn't be able to do that...

-tg

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    I started to mention that maybe they changed their status tag... but with only the 1 post, they wouldn't be able to do that...

-tg
    Also, you cannot use "banned" as a title. vBulletin prevents it.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Primary: Whiteboard & Marker
    Secondary: Glass Doors/windows if the design won't fit on the whiteboard.
    CodeBank: VB.NET & C#.NET | ASP.NET
    Programming: C# | VB.NET
    Blogs: Personal | Programming
    Projects: GitHub | jsFiddle
    ___________________________________________________________________________________

Rating someone's post is a way of saying Thanks...

Karen Payne MVP kareninstructor's Avatar

Currently each of our meeting/design rooms have been outfitted with electronic while boards with Windows OS. This is much better than the old days of whiteboards and markers simply because rooms a shared resources thru IT (over 40 in our group) so you can not expect things to stay on the board past your meeting while the new boards you save things to disk.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by wossname View Post
    Diptrace, no question about it. It's marvellous.
    Diptrace? Sounds like a tool used by moderators to track members here.

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    Ooo...The OP is banned. Anybody got any sauce on this ?
    I am guessing she is Brad's daughter and Brad does not want her to lurk in our forum.
    Regards,

As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

There are many Joneses... and they're all secretly Brad!
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd