dcsimg

Thread: A Class within a Class?

PowerPoster

A Class within a Class?

I have a Class module, let's call it ClassA, and in this Class I have a Public Function like this:

Public Function SomeFunction(cA As ClassA)

does the cA As ClassA put the Class itself within the Function?

What is the purpose in doing this?

Anything I post is an example only and is not intended to be the only solution, the total solution nor the final solution to your request nor do I claim that it is. If you find it useful then it is entirely up to you to make whatever changes necessary you feel are adequate for your purposes.

PowerPoster

Re: A Class within a Class?

No it does not

In this case it passes the instance of the class to the function from the calling routine so you can work with items in that instance

It is really pretty much the same as if you passed a textbox

Code:
    Private SomeSub(txt as TextBox)
        debug.print txt.Text
    end sub
    This allows you to work with all the properties of the text box control that is passed in the parameter even if this code is in a module, the text box is private or whatever

Passing an instance of a class works pretty much the same way
    Last edited by DataMiser; Nov 12th, 2013 at 02:37 PM.

PowerPoster

I can understand doing this in another module but not in the same module.

Anything I post is an example only and is not intended to be the only solution, the total solution nor the final solution to your request nor do I claim that it is. If you find it useful then it is entirely up to you to make whatever changes necessary you feel are adequate for your purposes.

Think of a tree structure.
    An object can have a parent and can have children, all of the same object type.
    Like the TreeView control.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoutdv View Post
    Think of a tree structure.
    An object can have a parent and can have children, all of the same object type.
    Yes, this is a rather frequent thing to do. The VB6 documentation covers this in the sections on Organizing Objects and Object Models.

Similar things are often used when creating polymorphic classes and class factory objects.

PowerPoster

It isn't that I don't understand this object can have a parent and children of the same object. That makes sense to me.

In module B I do this

Dim cA As ClassA

then in module B I do this

cA.SomeFunction

Above makes sense

but this

in module ClassA

Call SomeFunction(cA As ClassA,.......)

where SomeFunction is in ClassA

Why does SomeFunction need to have cA As ClassA in it's argument list?

It can reference any Sub, Function, Variable or Constant in that Class without prefixing cA to it. So I ask, what's the point.

BTW: I'm not very good at understanding Classes and that's why I tend to avoid them.

That is so that the function can operate on another instance of the class.

So you could do something like this:
    Code:
    Dim A as ClassA
    Dim B as ClassA
      ...code to set A and B 

X = A.SomeFunction(B)
    It is rare to have a reason to do that, but it does happen. The only one that is coming to mind at the moment is a kind of Clone function, which copies some of the properties from A to B.

PowerPoster

Well first thing is that a Class is not a module, they are 2 very different things and behave very differently.

Your question is a bit confusing since you are talking about modules and classes

When you are using a class you create an instance of it in code, any data assigned to that class is only part of that instance. If you create another instance it can not see the data from the first.

Like I said before it is not much different than say a textbox, a textbox is basically a class and each textbox on your form has its own instance of that class so when you assign .Text to text1 it has no effect on the text in text2 even though they are the same class behind the scenes.

You would pass a class to a function as a parameter when you need to work with a specific instance of that class
    It would be unusual to pass an instance of a class to a procedure within that same class however and could possibly cause an issue depending on what the routine does and what the class is.

PowerPoster

It is far from a rare thing.

You could have a Class that can contain a Collection of itself as child nodes (the tree case already mentioned in post #4 for example).

This Class might have an AddChild() method that accepts a reference to another instance of the same Class to add to the Collection. It might just as easily have a CreateChild() method that initializes a new instance of the same Class, adds it to the Children Collection, and returns a reference to that new instance.

The same class may even have serialization methods that walk through the object model to serialize and deserialize.

There isn't a lot of point in trying to learn this by dealing with issues in isolation. Using the self-study sections of the VB6 documentation or taking a class is your best bet, though good VB6 classroom training is a rare thing to find these days. Avoid so-called tutorials lying around on the Web, and frankly most of the 3rd party VB6 books were always crap with very low information density.

JM, Another common scenario: As you know, an instance of a Class is a pointer, if you do this..
    Code:
    Dim oPerson1 as Person, oPerson2 as Person

Set oPerson1 = New Person

Set oPerson2 = oPerson1 
    .. you're not creating a 2nd instance of the class, you're making another variable point to the same object, so you need something else that will create a new instance with the same exact properties, this is when a Clone() property or function must be created and it's a good example to do what you've shown:
    Code:
        Set oPerson2 = oPerson1.Clone()
    ..And here it is, inside the Person Class:
    Code:
    Private mName     As String
    Private mAge      As Long

Public Property Let Age(pNewVal As Long)
        mAge = pNewVal
    End Property

Public Property Let Name(pNewVal As String)
        mName = pNewVal
    End Property

Public Property Get Clone() As Person
    Dim oPerson As Person

Set oPerson = New Person
        oPerson.Name = mName
        oPerson.Age = mAge

Set Clone = oPerson
    End Property
    ..And the call from outside:
    Code:
        Dim p As oPerson, p2 As oPerson

Set p = New oPerson

p.Name = "Jhon"
        p.Age = 30

Set p2 = p.Clone()

MsgBox p2.Age & "," & p2.Name
    Last edited by jcis; Nov 14th, 2013 at 08:49 PM.