Thread: [VB 2k10] I really need a teacher/friend... who helped you, when you first started?

[VB 2k10] I really need a teacher/friend... who helped you, when you first started?

I started out a history major...and in history (no matter the country) people that achieved great things always had someone pointing out the way to them when they started out. I need that person....I'm willing to do just about anything...I'm a super quick learner! Does anyone here have like an hour a day? PM me...i won't try to publicly embarrass you or anything like that!
    dim jenn as geek = true
    Learning ~ Visual Basic 2010 ~ in free time between college/work -
    currently looking for a 'programming buddy' / 'coder friend' / and or 'mentor'. p.m. me if you
    have ANY free time AT ALL I'm like 33% of a novice level ~ willing 2 listen/learn +
    i am totally super motivated & promise to make an effffin amazing protege!!! #swag

| -_-_- -_-_- |
    ...W.T..F!?.....
    ||| Matter on the atomic/quantum level isn't solid or even matter at all. It can also exist in at least 2 places simultaneously (demonstrated in lab). It's position can only be established when it's actually observed. If we turn our back on it... it goes back to a wave form. History show's that every previous generation (since the beginning of time) got almost everything wrong. Then it might very well stand to reason that up is down & right can be wrong. Admit it.. our combined perception of reality is just that, we know absolutely nothing of actual reality & to think we do is simply subscribing to a "ignorance is bliss" mantra |||

Re: [VB 2k10] I really need a teacher/friend... who helped you, when you first starte

My advice would be to browse forums; then browse the answers given by the brilliant members here. You are sure to pick up quite a lot just by lurking. That is how I started ( basically ). I read the replies to questions and learnt from it
    VB.NET MVP 2008 - Present

Re: [VB 2k10] I really need a teacher/friend... who helped you, when you first starte

I'd give the same advice as Hannes did. For me the VBForums.community is "the Programming Buddy" you are looking for.
    I've been in your situation and I got where I'm now only because of VBForums!
    You're welcome to rate this post!
    If your problem is solved, please use the Mark thread as resolved button

Wait, I'm too old to hurry!

I concur with opus and HanneS, do not think you need a dedicated teacher specially if, as you say, you are a fast learner. Search for topics on what are you working on or the level of programming you are at and start coding. As whith everything else, nothing beats practice. People on this forum are always happy to answer your questions so in a way, you have many teachers that are willing to help you any time of day and not just for an hour.
    We do not know the level you are at, or if you have not even started yet. But that could be a start, just tell us what do you know (briefly) and where do you want to go, and we will point you in that direction.
    Have fun
    More important than the will to succeed, is the will to prepare for success.

Please rate the posts, your comments are the fuel to keep helping people