Thread: Tapatalk

Tapatalk

Heya

Any chance you guys can install the Tapatalk-plugin? Would love to use it for this forum. Thanks in advance.

If you found my post helpful, please rate it.

Codebank Submission: FireFox Browser (Gecko) in VB.NET, Load files, (sub)folders treeview with Windows icons

PowerPoster

Re: Tapatalk

This has been asked for a few times. Good luck, there seems to be some reluctance to make it available here.

I am guessing Tapatalk is like a instant message program for forums? If so what is the point of use it when someone can just as easily send a personal/private message via the forum already?
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

One of my 'to-do' tasks for this year is to see what we can do to enable some of the mobile-freindly features of the forum. I'm hoping to be able to start the review of that as well as the overall layout of some of our forums in November.
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker83 View Post
    I am guessing Tapatalk is like a instant message program for forums? If so what is the point of use it when someone can just as easily send a personal/private message via the forum already?
    No, it's a mobile-friendly rich client for forums with features to replace the lost web-client advertisting so sites don't lose money. It is pretty widely used because browser-based apps just aren't very pleasant, even when a forum site tries to provide "mobile" pages.

Thanks. Can't wait.

Codebank Submission: FireFox Browser (Gecko) in VB.NET, Load files, (sub)folders treeview with Windows icons

Addicted Member

Hi admin of vbforum

If vbforums is activated in tapatalk, it is very easy and fast for us to follow the threads from our android mobile. i use it often to access various forums such as windowsbbs. Hope you guys can do something about this. THANKS.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker83 View Post
    It's not. It's a mobile app for reading and writing posts. It doesn't provide access to all features of a vBulletin site but it does provide access to the most commonly used in a UI that is much more usable on a small device.

Addicted Member

Hi Jm..

What i can do with Tapatalk from my mobile are:

i don't have to log in as user with password
    i can follow the threads and reply fast
    i can also browse to the web site from tapatalk to do the rest without login.

I thought these are sufficient for my purposes.

I'm guessing the problem would be the ads.

Before they would use TapaTalk or any other mobile app, they would need to make sure all of the ads they want are going to be displayed properly. They definitely do not want to lose ad revenue.

Addicted Member

Hi Smitty KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken) .. but admin Brad Jones in Oct 13 seem to have said he wanted to make vbforum more mobile friendly. Current i am using tapatalk with AccessWorld, Windowsbbs & androidforums and it is so fast interacting. Perhaps vbforum can have it own apps like yahooMail or Gmail. Hoping!!

PowerPoster

Tapatalk and similar applications provide a separate ad-based revenue path back to site operators.

I don't know what all the fuzz is about the adds. People who use Firefox with the adblock don't see any ads on this forum and millions use it. Even considered that?

Quote Originally Posted by Radjesh Klauke View Post
    I don't know what all the fuzz is about the adds. People who use Firefox with the adblock don't see any ads on this forum and millions use it. Even considered that?
    While I'm sure a lot of people use AdBlock, technically the admins can ban you for using it, as it is against the Acceptable Use Policy for the site.
    Last edited by kfcSmitty; Jan 2nd, 2014 at 10:38 AM. Reason: wrong link

If I did not have such fumbly fingers I would use Tapa talk on my tablet
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.

Addicted Member

NightWalker, with dumbly fingers on a 4 inch mobile, the solution has to be dedicated Apps or TapaTalk. It is a hassle to type the password into website when the words are masked.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzMic View Post
    NightWalker, with dumbly fingers on a 4 inch mobile, the solution has to be dedicated Apps or TapaTalk. It is a hassle to type the password into website when the words are masked.
    Sorry, I was referring to holding the tablet in the first place.

Addicted Member

Hi mate, is your fumbling to that sorrowful state? In anyway are you for or against vbforums being more mobile friendly?

For your info, whenever i get a Yahoo email prompt on my mobile that there is a reply to a subscribed thread from vbforum, i have to get to a desktop PC to read it as i hate to use the mobile browser to get to this website. With tapatalk i can immediately type out my reply from my mobile with the fast swype keyboard.
    Last edited by FuzMic; Jan 3rd, 2014 at 12:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzMic View Post
    Hi mate, is your fumbling to that sorrowful state? In anyway are you for or against vbforums being more mobile friendly?
    No, I like the idea! I just can't imagine a forum, social network, etc having a mobile app. maybe I have been using forums for too long?

Personally I wouldn't use it. Not because I think it's a crazy silly idea - if others want to use it, hey, more power to them - but because 1) it wouldn't add any value to me - 90% of my visit is on a computer... %5 would be by tablet (except I gave the tablet to my daughter since I wasn't really using it since getting my chromebook, so that's actually going to drop to 0) and %5 would be by phone... and I'm not even sure that 5% is close to being right, because I don't feel that need to be in that close contact with the forums. Heck, I don't even use email notification. When I do visit on my phone (which as I think about it probably amounts to less that 1%... I mean, we're talking maybe 20 times if that much in a year.... ) it's because I'm that incredibly bored (probably in the waiting room at the Doc's) ... I use the Chrome browser... which is synched with all my chrome browsers, so I don't have to worry about logging in... and I can zoom in and out to see what I need... code gets hard to read... and I keep the replies short. If it requires a longer answer or some code... then I'll wait until later, or unless someone else responds in the meantime.

Odds are it's a generation gap issue... back in my day a posting was a 3x5 card with the question and contact information tacked to a bulletin board (the old-style cork kind... not the kind that required squelches and squeals to connect to in the first place) (some will get the references, some will not).

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    Personally I wouldn't use it. Not because I think it's a crazy silly idea - if others want to use it, hey, more power to them - but because 1) it wouldn't add any value to me - 90% of my visit is on a computer... %5 would be by tablet (except I gave the tablet to my daughter since I wasn't really using it since getting my chromebook, so that's actually going to drop to 0) and %5 would be by phone... and I'm not even sure that 5% is close to being right, because I don't feel that need to be in that close contact with the forums. Heck, I don't even use email notification. When I do visit on my phone (which as I think about it probably amounts to less that 1%... I mean, we're talking maybe 20 times if that much in a year.... ) it's because I'm that incredibly bored (probably in the waiting room at the Doc's) ... I use the Chrome browser... which is synched with all my chrome browsers, so I don't have to worry about logging in... and I can zoom in and out to see what I need... code gets hard to read... and I keep the replies short. If it requires a longer answer or some code... then I'll wait until later, or unless someone else responds in the meantime.

Odds are it's a generation gap issue... back in my day a posting was a 3x5 card with the question and contact information tacked to a bulletin board (the old-style cork kind... not the kind that required squelches and squeals to connect to in the first place) (some will get the references, some will not).

-tg
    I suppose you had to walk 10 miles through the snow with no shoes to get to school too.

Addicted Member

Thanks guys for the different point of view. The good thing i get to see how others drag through the cold winter snowy path or dash around the hottest 2013 summer down under. In anyway whether we like it or not, the hand held devices are rocking the world. You see almost everyone tweating one in the airport or in the plane. The people gap is glaring especially at dinner table when everyone is not talking to each other but glue to their mobile devices. TG we prefer to talk face2face not via the devices. Here in the forum we still have to go through our devices, mobile or desktop. Cheers!!

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Cork? Cork?! We 'ad stone. And no chisel, mind. we 'ad to carve the message into it with our teeth. And we were grateful for it.

While I think I'm unlikely to hit the forums on a mobile (I never have yet) I think I'm starting to see the arguments some are making for an app. I think one of the main reasons I don't use the internet on my phone is because it's such a painful and irritating experience. I just can't be bothered with all that scrolling, zooming and flipping the phone back and forwards like a pretend lightsabre and most of that is down to the fact that web pages are just too big to naturally fit on a phone screen.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    I suppose you had to walk 10 miles through the snow with no shoes to get to school too.
    No... it doesn't rain in SoCal... let alone snow... but the fog... when that marine layer sets in... you had to be careful of the bears in the mist... fortunately I always carried a trusty 3-ring binder to fight them off...

Again, I'm like Funky... I can see how others would see value in it, it's just not my cup of tea, I rarely use the browser on my phone, because as Funky eloquently put it, "I just can't be bothered with all that scrolling, zooming and flipping the phone back and forwards like a pretend lightsabre" ... especially at 60MPH on the highway...

joking aside... now if I commuted via train or something like that... then yeah, I'd probably be more inclined to want to browse the forums to help pass time or something... but then I'd jsut put my phone into WiFi HotSpot mode and use my ChromeBook to do it... I know there are several people here that commute in mass transit like that and yeah... I can see it being useful at that point.

-tg
    Last edited by techgnome; Jan 3rd, 2014 at 10:28 AM.
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    Personally I wouldn't use it. Not because I think it's a crazy silly idea - if others want to use it, hey, more power to them - but because 1) it wouldn't add any value to me - 90% of my visit is on a computer...
    Same here!

Any update on enabling Tapatalk for these forums?