Thread: [RESOLVED] How do I return groups of numbers or characters from a string?

Resolved [RESOLVED] How do I return groups of numbers or characters from a string?

I'm writing a graphing calculator right now, and I need to be able to read an equation (i.e. [y1= 6x/3x^2] or [y2= (2x + 4)(3 - 2x^2)]) and return it as a very simplified equivalent function (i.e. [y1= 2x^-1] or [y2= -4x^3 - 8x^2 + 6x + 12]). I just need to know how to go about identifying the groups of numbers/operators/variables, and it should be much easier from there.

Also, if the coefficient, variables, and exponents could be returned as separate variables, this would be a ton easier. Thanks!

EDIT: I'm writing this as a callable function like this, where 'eqtn' is only the right side of an equation, like this: (the bold) y1= 3x + 2
    Code:
        Private Function getEquation(ByRef eqtn As String)

End Function
    Thank you!
    Last edited by DinosaurusRex; Oct 29th, 2013 at 05:35 PM.

Re: How do I return groups of numbers or characters from a string?

How good are you at VB? Take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shunting_yard_algorithm
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve
    Counting Bits -- Subnet Calculator -- UI Guidelines -- >> SerialPort Answer <<

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

PowerPoster

dbasnett,

Unfortunately, I'm pretty new to VB, having started only a few months ago. I've gotten my way around it though, (even writing a ten-line factorizing program from scratch! (I don't know how impressive this is, but it was pretty cool to me)) and am really just trying to teach myself as I go and encounter new problems. I did take a look at the article you linked, but it's beyond me. Thanks!
    Last edited by DinosaurusRex; Oct 29th, 2013 at 06:24 PM.

4x2y,

Thanks, I feel like this will come in very handy. Is there anything I need to import into my code for this to work though? I can't declare variables as an "evaluator", because it isn't supported as a type by default.

PowerPoster

Add the two files Evaluator.vb and EvalFunctions.vb to your project

Great, thanks so much!