[RESOLVED] HELP, Importing and exporting specific cells from Excel to Visual Studio-VBForums

Thread: [RESOLVED] HELP, Importing and exporting specific cells from Excel to Visual Studio

Lively Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] HELP, Importing and exporting specific cells from Excel to Visual Studio

Hello!

Firstly, I need a text box and a button. On the click of the button it will send what ever is in the text box into a cell in an excel document. I have this:
    Code:
        Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

Dim NumericTextBox1 As RichTextBox = New RichTextBox()
            NumericTextBox1.Parent = Me

Dim sFoo As String = TextBox1.Text

2:
            Dim mySW As New IO.StreamWriter(My.Computer.FileSystem.SpecialDirectories.Desktop + "\Repair_Income.xlsx", True)

5:
            mySW.WriteLine(sFoo)
    6:
            mySW.Close()

Close()

End Sub
    It works well apart from when you go to open the Excel file, it says it is saved in the wrong format. I need this excel document to contain formulae so it is important it can be read.

Name:  fgh.png
Views: 1805
Size:  5.1 KB

Secondly, I have these text boxes to show a said formulae. So in the Excel document, values are added and the answer is produced in this window:

Name:  sdf.png
Views: 1836
Size:  6.4 KB

Using Excel as an external information handler may be the wrong way to go about this, so any alternatives are welcome however I cannot get an SQL server to work.

Thanks

Lively Member

Re: HELP, Importing and exporting specific cells from Excel to Visual Studio

And for any real smart arses, is it possible to use the system clock and zero everything when there is a new year, but save the data from last year?

PowerPoster

This is what I would use to write values to a spreadsheet (add a reference to the Excel Object Library first):

Code:
    Imports Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel

Public Class Form1

Private Sub btnSave_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles btnSave.Click
            Dim oExcel As Object
            Dim oBook As Object
            Dim oSheet As Object
            Dim writeRow As Long

oExcel = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
            oBook = oExcel.Workbooks.Open(My.Computer.FileSystem.SpecialDirectories.Desktop + "\Repair_Income.xlsx")
            oSheet = oBook.worksheets(1)
            writeRow = oSheet.cells(oSheet.rows.count, 1).end(XlDirection.xlUp).row + 1

oSheet.range("a" & writeRow).value = txtInput.Text

oBook.close(True)
            oSheet = Nothing
            oBook = Nothing
            oExcel = Nothing
        End Sub
    End Class
    This will write to the next blank cell in column A, in Sheet 1, so change as required.

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by vbfbryce View Post
    This is what I would use to write values to a spreadsheet (add a reference to the Excel Object Library first):

Code:
    Imports Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel

Public Class Form1

Private Sub btnSave_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles btnSave.Click
            Dim oExcel As Object
            Dim oBook As Object
            Dim oSheet As Object
            Dim writeRow As Long

oExcel = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
            oBook = oExcel.Workbooks.Open(My.Computer.FileSystem.SpecialDirectories.Desktop + "\Repair_Income.xlsx")
            oSheet = oBook.worksheets(1)
            writeRow = oSheet.cells(oSheet.rows.count, 1).end(XlDirection.xlUp).row + 1

oSheet.range("a" & writeRow).value = txtInput.Text

oBook.close(True)
            oSheet = Nothing
            oBook = Nothing
            oExcel = Nothing
        End Sub
    End Class
    This will write to the next blank cell in column A, in Sheet 1, so change as required.
    Thats works nicely thank you, however I still have this problem:
    Name:  ghj.png
Views: 1676
Size:  26.0 KB

Lively Member

It seems that no matter what ""\Repair_Income.xls"" is set to it will always make it a xlsx file?

PowerPoster

When I tried your code, it created a file that I couldn't open (corrupted somehow). When I started over and changed to Repair_Income2.xlsx, it worked for me, then I could open it.

I created the file first, with only a heading in cell A1, then I ran the code. See if that change works or no.

Lively Member

When I tried your code, it created a file that I couldn't open (corrupted somehow). When I started over and changed to Repair_Income2.xlsx, it worked for me, then I could open it.

I created the file first, with only a heading in cell A1, then I ran the code. See if that change works or no.
    Thats interesting, but for some reason, and I might just be being a noob, but when I try that the it still saves as Repair_income and does not change???

PowerPoster

you changed this:

to this:

oBook = oExcel.Workbooks.Open(My.Computer.FileSystem.SpecialDirectories.Desktop + "\Repair_Income2.xlsx")

right?

Lively Member

you changed this:

to this:

oBook = oExcel.Workbooks.Open(My.Computer.FileSystem.SpecialDirectories.Desktop + "\Repair_Income2.xlsx")

right?
    Correct, now im getting this?
    Name:  jkl.png
Views: 1687
Size:  28.0 KB

Lively Member

Okay, I think I fixed that bit

With that code you are not creating a new excel file but writtin to an existing one. That is why previously when using Repair_Income, at trying to open it with excel you still get same error, and now it is telling you that it does not exists.
    More important than the will to succeed, is the will to prepare for success.

Please rate the posts, your comments are the fuel to keep helping people

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by kaliman79912 View Post
    With that code you are not creating a new excel file but writtin to an existing one. That is why previously when using Repair_Income, at trying to open it with excel you still get same error, and now it is telling you that it does not exists.

Yes thank you, I'm just a noob. That problem is all sorted now thank you, so now we need to import data from a cell into a text box?