Thread: .NET Web Browser. Outdated?

.NET Web Browser. Outdated?

I have noticed that all the best .NET browsers have the tab control at the top of the web browser. My favorite being The Web Browser Project but I didn't come here to talk about different browsers made in .NET. I came here to ask if it was too outrageous to make a web browser using CType and ask people to test it out when there is a release. I already have the look and some coding done if I want to go with the CType but I have to restart if it is a better idea to go with the tabs on top. If you don't already know the CType method is a lot harder and takes a lot more work and will take much more time (which I want) and before you say it is a waste of time to make a web browser because it is the IE component but that is not the case. I am using the Awesomium component. So, if you have time, please leave a reply telling me what one you think is better.

PowerPoster

Re: .NET Web Browser. Outdated?

Did someone really create a component and call it Ctype? I can find nothing on it while searching, as expected, I get the ctype method.
    Can you give some more background on this mysterious CType?

I found this video on Youtube : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2CQ0gUWPWU

is this what you are talking about??
    VB.NET MVP 2008 - Present

I was talking about the CType method. Sorry, should've worded it better.

@HanneSThEGreaT, Yes, that's what I was talking about.

PowerPoster

That CType browser that was in that video is irrelevant to your question. It is not a technique or keyword that relates to anything about browers or tabbing.

Now that is out of the way, we can better answer your question. I have never used the Awesomium set, but assuming you have already managed to create a webforms interface that has this component on it, then sticking on a tab control and dynamically creating a new instance of this will take minutes. If you have never created dynamic controls, then it is more of a learn curve about how to add handlers yourself, but a bit of learning wont hurt. The video that Hannes posted did it in 15 mins with the standard web control.

Maybe I am underestimating what you can and cannot do with this Awesominum, so other advice from actual users maybe not be a bad thing.

Edit: After a read, it appears you can just use it like any other forms control, so naming/events aside, the convention for you to use this in place of the standard webbrowser control is already mapped out.
    Last edited by Grimfort; Oct 29th, 2013 at 10:34 AM.

Yes, it is also way faster then the gecko component and the the regular web browser component. Although it is a little harder to get use to because you have to do slightly different methods for navigating by checking the the address is already a Uri or if it has to be turned into one and then if it does you have to turn it into one but in the long run that actually made it easier because now all I have to type in code is
    Code:
    Navigate("google.com")
    or
    Code:
    Navigate(URLBox.Text)
    But would anybody prefer the tabs that have everything above them (URL Box, refresh, back, forward, settings, favorites, etc...) over tabs above everything where I just put everything in a form and then in the main form just a tab control and duplicate everything from the other form into the main form tab control.

PowerPoster

Is not that for you to decide?

Yes, I suppose it is. I just have a horrible time with decisions. But I think I am going to stick with everything outside of the tab control.