Thread: Saving A Picture

PowerPoster

Saving A Picture

How do I save a Picture that I BitBlt'd on?

I can save a picture that I printed on by using Picture1.Image but this doesn't work for BitBlt

Anything I post is an example only and is not intended to be the only solution, the total solution nor the final solution to your request nor do I claim that it is. If you find it useful then it is entirely up to you to make whatever changes necessary you feel are adequate for your purposes.

Re: Saving A Picture

VB.NET MVP 2008 - Present

PowerPoster

Doesn't give me a clue, not even close

The only remark given was to use SavePicture but that I have already tried and only the picture is saved whether I use Picture1.Picture or Picture1.Image but not anything that was BitBlt'd on it

It will, however save anything that was printed on it like text from using Picture1.Print

Anything I post is an example only and is not intended to be the only solution, the total solution nor the final solution to your request nor do I claim that it is. If you find it useful then it is entirely up to you to make whatever changes necessary you feel are adequate for your purposes.

Not sure if this would be of use or not?
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Fanatic Member

1) If you haven't already, set the Picture box's AutoRedraw property to True.
    2) In your code, add the line "Picture1.Picture = Picture1.Image" just before your SavePicture call.
    3) In the actual SavePicture call, use the .Picture property, e.g. SavePicture Picture1.Picture, "C:\filename.bmp"

When applying any GDI API calls (BitBlt, SetPixel, StretchDIBits, etc) to a picture box, you must always set the picture box's .Picture equal to its .Image before using internal VB functions like SavePicture.

Fanatic Member

Make sure you set the picture box's .AutoRedraw property to true *before* using BitBlt. (Unless you have reason to do otherwise, set .AutoRedraw to True at design-time.)

If you do that, does it solve the problem?

Also, I know it's obvious, but do you have both the picture box and user control .ScaleMode properties set to "3 - Pixel"?

PowerPoster

OMG! Yes, it works. Why it never entered my mind to set AutoRedraw to True before BitBlt'ng I don't know. I'm so stupid at times

EDIT: I inadvertently deleted my previous post

Fanatic Member

Nothing stupid about it! Those kind of bugs hit everyone at some point.

I do a lot of work with graphics in VB, and I have found those steps above (.AutoRedraw = True, do all your API graphics, PictureBox.Picture = PictureBox.Image) to be pretty much foolproof. Also, I really would recommend setting .AutoRedraw to True at design-time. It can save you the headache of tracking down annoying bugs like this one.