Thread: netgear router problem

netgear router problem

Hi all.
    I've posted this before I think but I never have found a workable solution.

Setup: I have a netgear router, a desktop with wired connection to the router, and a laptop that connects wirelessly. I have a static IP address and I assume the laptop gets an ip address when it connects to the network.

The problem with the router is that every time I turn my laptop on, it is unable to connect to the network. Then I go over to the desktop, log in to the router, and re-enter the password. I don't change the password at all, i just retype it and save changes. As soon as that page refreshes, I can go back to the laptop and connect with no problem. Next time I start the laptop, same thing.

I wasn't sure where the problem was before, but now I just bought a new device called NeoTV, which uses the same router. I got it to connect to the router the first time, but then after non-use, it disconnects and won't re-connect. The error starts at "obtaining IP address" which fails. Then, just like the laptop, I have to go to the PC and retype the password. Then the NEOTV connects with no problem. Of course, that kicks the laptop off the network and I have to click to connect again (which it does with no problem).

So, I'm assuming there is some kind of issue with assigning IP addresses.

Lastly, I have another house where I also have the exact same router, but no static IP address. The laptop finds that network and connects automatically every time, and I've never had to go into the router and do anything since I bought it.

Any idea on what this is? Maybe a setting somewhere?

Thanks
    Wen Gang, Programmer
    VB6, QB, HTML, ASP, VBScript, Visual C++, Java

Re: netgear router problem

1. Check for any updated firmware for your router. Install it if available. Or better yet:
    2. If your router is DD-WRT or OpenWRT compatible, flash it. Those open source firmware are full of feature and often more stable than OEM firmware.
    3. If updating the firmware doesn't help, time for a new router.
    Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.
    - Abraham Lincoln -

Re: netgear router problem

I had a similar issue with my ISP's router (which is a ... let's just say I don't use it as my main router for a reason) ... it had an "energy saving" ... "Feature"... where if the wireless isn't used for a period, it turns off the radio... might want to look to see if there's a similar feature on yours. Also, if you're using static IPs for everything, then make sure there's no conflicts... if you're in a mixed mode (that's what I have) make sure that the DHCP range doesn't conflict with the static range and that the range is large enough to handle all devices - I have as many as 10 devices at home, half are static, the other half are DHPC.. the static range is in a different address range (10-20) than the dynamic one (100-120) in both cases, I've left room and gaps to allow for adhoc devices w/o needing to re-arrange things.

The other thing to check is from the laptop, check to make sure that the wireless connection is "Always connect" ... but that doesn't explain why logging into the router solves the problem... I suspect there's a setting in the router that turns off the wifi radio if there's no activity... problem is that if it's off, it can't detect when something wants to connect and doesn't know to turn it on... you're "waking" it up by logging into it from the PC.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *