Thread: Using Flexigrid with Excel

Frenzied Member

Using Flexigrid with Excel

Hi,

From Googling it appears the flexigrid control may not work in Excel - or works conditionally on having VB6 installed.
    But some users say its OK while others mention error messages about the control not being registered or licenced.

If I add this control (assuming it's possible) and give my workbook to someone else, can I rely on it to work - or are there further complications or requirements?

If it will work, is there a dummy's guide to adding Flexigrid in Excel anywhere?

Many thanks for any help.
    ABB

PowerPoster

Re: Using Flexigrid with Excel

is there a dummy's guide to adding Flexigrid in Excel anywhere?
    no, you would have to use msdn (vb6) or online

can I rely on it to work
    there are probably other grid controls, that could be used without restrictions, or pay to license
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

come back and mark your original post as resolved if your problem is fixed
    pete

Frenzied Member

Thanks Pete. Any suggestions for another control ? Or where/what/who to followup on paying for a Flexigrid licence?

PowerPoster

i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

pete

Frenzied Member

Hi Pete, after a bit more digging I'm further in a hole!! That thread seemed to be about VB, not VBA and VB6 has a (distributable) Flexigrid control that I've
    used. Maybe they didn't want to use that, but it's be OK for me I think.

If it'll work, that is. When you say "pay to licence' what exactly does that give you and who do you pay ?

Thanks, ABB

PowerPoster

That thread seemed to be about VB, not VBA
    most 3rd party vb6 controls will work in vba, some of those suggested were free, others required payment, as non of ms datgrid (or other vb6) controls are supported in anyway, it would probably be better to go for a 3rd party control, especially if any continued support is available

I give this grid very high marks and it's free and actively supported:
    from post #9 in previous link
    I never had any significant difficulties LynxGrid, but if you do, you have the source code

have a look at DHTMLedit control (MS, no longer supported) it may be of interest, a recent thread discussing its pros and cons
    http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...o-print-in-VB6

pete

Keep in mind these activex controls will stop functioning in the future. If this is is something like a production macro I would recommend against using it. So many things can go wrong. Flexgrid is 32 bit and will not work under 64 bit office as well. If I *had* to use a custom grid in a project for office I would use a browser control and one of the javascript grids. It is much more future proof especially with a supported browser control being added in the newest versions of access.

Frenzied Member

Hi dmaruca, Thanks for the tips. Much as I'd like to change my multi-column listbox for a grid, it just seems a bridge too far. I've seen nothing to say it'll work
    or work reliably on any machine the workbook is run on. Now even if it did, it'll stop at some stage ?

My long term plan is to port the whole thing to .Net. But I need to learn a heap about .Net as I've never used it. Perhaps it was a built in grid control ?

It would run reliably until something changed. A new install or upgrade. Or moving between machines. Then there is a risk of it breaking.

There was someone where I work made an automatic pdf printer in excel and used the calendar control as a way of selecting the date. The calendar control used to be installed as a part of office. They got upgraded and bam production halted because no more ocx and they had to start doing everything manually until I could get over and replace it with a text box to type the date in.

I'd say keep it simple. The list box is part of the same forms release as the text box so it isn't going anywhere. I'm all for making better user interfaces, myself, but you just gotta play it safe with office. Especially if it is a corporate environment with restricted admin rights and stuff.. which is the case where I work and why I feel this way.

But... you absolutely CAN use msflex as long as you don't mind supporting it every time it breaks and explaining why they can't move to 64 bit office. MS will also one day end support for vb6 runtime. It almost happened with 8, so it's not too far off. Here is how that will support a vb6 activex control inside VBA: (activex controls written in other languages do not fall into this category, but they are the ones you have to buy)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/ms788708.aspx

Visual Basic 6.0 Runtime Usage Inside VBA and Office

Visual Basic for Applications, or VBA, is a distinct technology commonly used for application automation and macros inside of other applications, most commonly inside Microsoft Office applications. VBA ships as a part of Office and therefore the support for VBA is governed by the support policy of Office. However, there are situations where VBA is used to call or host Visual Basic 6.0 runtime binaries and controls. In these situations, Visual Basic 6.0 supported runtime files in the OS and the extended file list are also supported when used inside of a supported VBA environment.

For VB6 runtime scenarios to be supported inside VBA, all of the following must be true:

The host OS version for VB runtime is still supported

The host version of Office for VBA is still supported

The runtime files in question are still supported
    Last edited by dmaruca; Nov 10th, 2013 at 01:17 AM.

One more thing. I said I would use a browser with a javascript library if I had to, but that also comes with support load. Javascript could be disabled for local sources depending on security level. Read more. I haven't tested, but have heard this could be less of a problem in the new Access 2010 web control. Just another thing to consider.

I use spreadsheet. unlicensed and longer supported.

PD: Googling I've found this related info:

the security update identified with KB article
    960715 disabled the original FlexGrid control distributed with VB6, due to
    an identified vulnerability. See this TechNet advisory article: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec...ry/960715.mspx
    Last edited by 3com; Nov 10th, 2013 at 05:52 PM.