Thread: studio 2012 split string with if statement not sure how to go about this

Lively Member

studio 2012 split string with if statement not sure how to go about this

hey guys
    i have a working program that loops through a list and does stuff
    in the textbox1 i would have lets say "aaa"
    now i would like to add a job list to to script so if i put into the textbox "aaa,bbb,ccc"
    it would do the whole job 3 times with all three instructions

i can split the textbox into an array like this
    Dim joblist As String() = TextBox1.Text.Split(New Char() {","c})

and make a do while list with the size of the array and increment the array each time

but how do i check to see if the textbox has the character "," and only run the loop if it does

any ideas

Re: studio 2012 split string with if statement not sure how to go about this

You could perhaps consider using IndexOf :

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/k8b1470s.aspx
    VB.NET MVP 2008 - Present

You wouldn't use a Do loop in this case. There are four types of loops: For, For Each, Do and While. You should only be using a Do or While loop if you don't know exactly how many times you need to loop when you start. In this case, you know exactly how many times you need to loop, i.e. the number of elements in the array. In that case, a For loop would be more appropriate than a Do or While loop. This case is even more specific though, i.e. you want to perform an action for each element in the array. What sort of lop do you think would be most appropriate then?

To answer your question, don't bother. Just run the For Each loop and, if there's only one element, the loop will only run for one iteration.

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    You wouldn't use a Do loop in this case. There are four types of loops: For, For Each, Do and While. You should only be using a Do or While loop if you don't know exactly how many times you need to loop when you start. In this case, you know exactly how many times you need to loop, i.e. the number of elements in the array. In that case, a For loop would be more appropriate than a Do or While loop. This case is even more specific though, i.e. you want to perform an action for each element in the array. What sort of lop do you think would be most appropriate then?

To answer your question, don't bother. Just run the For Each loop and, if there's only one element, the loop will only run for one iteration.
    i can't argue with that
    the issue i have now is making the array when there is no "," in the textbox
    using this
    Dim joblist As String() = TextBox1.Text.Split(New Char() {","c})

it will work fine with "aaa,bbb,ccc,ddd"
    but will error when there is only "aaa"

how would i overcome this

Firstly, if all you want to do is split on a single Char, there's no need to create a Char array. That overload of String.Split has its parameter declared as a ParamArray, meaning that it will accept a single Char array or zero, one or more discrete Chars. You only need this:
    Code:
    Dim joblist As String() = TextBox1.Text.Split(","c)
    As for the "issue", there's no issue at all. If the String doesn't contain the delimiter(s) then Split will simply return an array with a single element containing the original String. As I said, if you use a For Each loop, it will just work. If you get an error then you're doing it wrong but we can't tellyou what's wrong with your code if we haven't seen it or the error.