VS 2008 [RESOLVED] Pre-selecting item in ComboBox - "Operation is not allowed when the object is open"-VBForums

Thread: [RESOLVED] Pre-selecting item in ComboBox - "Operation is not allowed when the object is open"

Resolved [RESOLVED] Pre-selecting item in ComboBox - "Operation is not allowed when the object is open"

Hello.
    In the form load event, I am populating a combobox with items from a database query. I then want to pre-select one of the items. This worked fine under VB6 but I am currently upgrading the code to .Net, and I am getting the error "Operation is not allowed when the object is open". I cannot seem to get by this. Below is my code.

NOTE: I tried using both methods: setting the Text property, as well as the SelectedIndex property (commented), and get the same error.

Code:
                i = 0
                Do While Not rs.EOF
                    i = i + 1
                    cboUsers.Items.Add((rs.Fields(0).Value))
                    If rs.Fields(0).Value = LANID Then
                        cboUsers.Text = rs.Fields(0).Value
                        'cboUsers.SelectedIndex = i
                    End If
                    rs.MoveNext()
                Loop
    Thanks in advance,
    Paul

Re: Pre-selecting item in ComboBox - "Operation is not allowed when the object is ope

Never mind

I just figured out that when I set the item, the 'selectedIndexChanged' event fires. In that event, the code is making a db connection, and it is THAT connection that is causing the error because the connection is already open.
    Figures I waste hours on this, and 5 minutes after I submit a post, I figure it out!

Thanks anyway,

Paul