Thread: PlaySound API doesn't play to completion.

Hybrid View

Frenzied Member

PlaySound API doesn't play to completion.

I'm using the PlaySound API call in VB6. My OS is Windows 7 Home Premium x64.

When I generate a wave form that has lets say a 1000Hz sine wave, that plays for exactly 10000 complete cycles of this waveform, and then send it (along with the correct WAV header) to the PlaySound API call, with it set to play in memory (so that it loads my waveform and wav header from the byte Array I'm sending it), I find it truncates the output audio. I can tell because if I use a loopback, and then have another known working audio program like GoldWave recording the audio, I find that audio output from my program is truncated (the waveform in the last cycle is chopped off prior to completion by my sound generating program, or more specifically by the PlaySound API it depends on to output the audio). And I've checked the WAV header multiple times in my program, and it is correct (proper blockallign, bit-depth, etc). And when I save my WAV header and byte array of the waveform to a .wav file, and load that into GoldWave audio software, I find that my complete waveform data is present (the last sine wave cycle is not truncated). So it appears that my PlaySound API isn't reading/playing all the data in the byte array.

Is this a known problem? And is there a known fix for it?

Re: PlaySound API doesn't play to completion.

Have you checked if the same issue happens in other OSs? How are you calling the PlaySound API?
    On Local Error Resume Next: If Not Empty Is Nothing Then Do While Null: ReDim i(True To False) As Currency: Loop: Else Debug.Assert CCur(CLng(CInt(CBool(False Imp True Xor False Eqv True)))): Stop: On Local Error GoTo 0
    Declare Sub CrashVB Lib "msvbvm60" (Optional DontPassMe As Any)

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie West View Post
    Have you checked if the same issue happens in other OSs? How are you calling the PlaySound API?
    I don't think anything is wrong with my code. I've double, triple, and quadruple checked my code and nothing looks wrong. I've decided instead to use DirectSound from DirectX8 instead, as I have found it has less buggyness (even though it is more of a hassle to set up).

Quote Originally Posted by Ben321 View Post
    I don't think anything is wrong with my code. I've double, triple, and quadruple checked my code and nothing looks wrong. I've decided instead to use DirectSound from DirectX8 instead, as I have found it has less buggyness (even though it is more of a hassle to set up).
    What code are you using? Also, if this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved".
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672