Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [RESOLVED] How often is NEGATIVE feedback (rep) used?

Re: [RESOLVED] How often is NEGATIVE feedback (rep) used?

Quote Originally Posted by Siddharth Rout View Post
    @Niya: We all are from different cultures but remember we have a VBF culture of it's own I post in three different forums and each time I am on a particular forum, I mold myself as per their "Culture"
    That's a good idea. I molded so much I BECAME a culture....but at least I'm a real fungi.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    That's a good idea. I molded so much I BECAME a culture....but at least I'm a real fungi.
    That pun is so bad, it is just asking for a negative rep.....

LOL

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Yep, it spore enough to deserve one
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Re: How often is NEGATIVE feedback (rep) used?

Glad I haven't been around on the 4th and part of that thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker83 View Post
    On a different note I have a certain user constantly giving me green gems, it is becoming very annoying.
    I think I might have the same problem. I have been tracking it actually ( just to prove - just in case )

If you feel that you have been targeted unnecessarily, please pm a mod with all the details. If what you say is correct and the mod(s) feel that you have been unnecessarily targeted then we can then highlight it to Brad or Steve and they will be reversed.
    May I also?

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    Isn't that kinda like complaining about someone sending you free stuff every Christmas ? If you don't want them, hell I'd take them. I'm not one to refuse free stuff
    No, certain members put real value into their rep points. I for one never actually cared about reputation; as long as I feel I can contribute to a thread and try to help a person to the best of my limited abilities, I am happy.

I hate just getting points I do not deserve. It is senseless. If you want to be my friend, send me a PM or leave a visitor message. If you think I will return the favour ( by rating you as well ), then you are mistaken. I try to rate answers for things I didn't know and learned or valid arguments.

About negative reps. I received one years ago. So what? Everybody is entitled to their opinion, but the whole mess with Negative ratings are that people behave childish. Everybody's opinions will differ eventually.

I know over at CodeGuru it became so bad that the whole negative ratings things was disabled for normal members. Only Mods can give negative ratings
    VB.NET MVP 2008 - Present

Re: How often is NEGATIVE feedback (rep) used?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    You just had to didn't you...you just couldn't resist

Quote Originally Posted by HanneSThEGreaT View Post
    I hate just getting points I do not deserve. It is senseless. If you want to be my friend, send me a PM or leave a visitor message. If you think I will return the favour ( by rating you as well ), then you are mistaken.
    You mean you guys are getting reps for nothing in particular ? Well that's interesting. Such love . I suppose when someone has been around as long as you and NightWalker, you get your share of fans
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I've had a few reps recently with no comment and I can't see why the threads they were for would have deserved one. Mine are from different members, though, so it doesn't feel like someone doing anything particularly calculating (though I struggle to imagine what that could be). It's actually just starting to occur to me that it might be a bug on the forum but I doubt it. I think sometimes people just feel like being nice.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

I bet I know what those are... people spreading the love around so they can rep someone again...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

I never imagined anyone would be annoyed at getting positive reps You know, stuff that you might take for granted might be insightful for another user. You may think you don't deserve it but someone else sure did.

Like 95% of my reps are given for technical(programming related) posts that reveal something I didn't know or something I do know being used in a particularly clever way. For non-technical posts I give them for views articulated by a user that is really engaging or interesting, even if I don't agree with it. The other 5 % goes to posts I find memorable like maybe one that made me laugh.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Discovering Life Siddharth Rout's Avatar

Reason Why I might give +ve Reps

1. I learned something new.
    2. To appreciate a very well put post (or even a question!)
    3. Appreciate a good post by a NEW member. (Very Important) <-- I do this very often. It really serves as a good motivation factor. I still remember the first rep that I got (when I actually started understanding what reps are) as a newbie! It was given by Si_The_Geek. The best part was that it was not just a rep. It had a very positive encouraging message attached to it. And I think that got me hooked to VBF.
    4. On some occasions, I have given a + ve rep for a humorous comment as well.

Reason Why I might give -ve Reps

1. A member is extremely abusive/rude towards other members of VBF.
    2. A member deliberately breaks AUP even after being warned once.

I have never given a -ve rep for a bad answer. I would rather help the poster realize why the answer is incorrect by giving an explanation and supporting it with links from MSDN or other reliable sources. When I was new, I gave pretty bad answers and many members politely corrected me. I remember one such incident where RobDogg888, went out of the way to make me understand the basics and improve my answer and that had such a positive impact on me!

Some of the members who helped(whether they realize it or not) me immensely evolve in VBF are

si_the_geek
    RobDog888
    MartinLiss
    Hack
    westconn1
    LaVolpe
    Pradeep1210

So in the end, all I have to say.. Use your -ve reps judiciously. Be generous (But Make Them Count) with your +ve reps esp with the newbies
    A good exercise for the Heart is to bend down and help another up...
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved

MyGear:
    ★ CPU ★ Ryzen 5 5800X
    ★ GPU ★ NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 TI Founder Edition
    ★ RAM ★ G. Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB 3600MHz
    ★ MB ★ ASUS TUF GAMING X570 (WI-FI) ATX Gaming
    ★ Storage ★ SSD SB-ROCKET-1TB + SEAGATE 2TB Barracuda IHD
    ★ Cooling ★ NOCTUA NH-D15 CHROMAX BLACK 140mm + 10 of Noctua NF-F12 PWM
    ★ PSU ★ ANTEC HCG-1000-EXTREME 1000 Watt 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular PSU
    ★ Case ★ LIAN LI PC-O11 DYNAMIC XL ROG (BLACK) (G99.O11DXL-X)
    ★ Monitor ★ LG Ultragear 27" 240Hz Gaming Monitor
    ★ Keyboard ★ TVS Electronics Gold Keyboard
    ★ Mouse ★ Logitech G502 Hero

[B][U]
    3. Appreciate a good post by a NEW member. (Very Important) <-- I do this very often. It really serves as a good motivation factor.
    Yea, I do this too. Knowledgeable people are always needed here to help out. I always hope it serves to motivate them to stay and help out more.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12