Thread: [RESOLVED] Timezones and Time Comparisons

Resolved [RESOLVED] Timezones and Time Comparisons

One of those days drawing a blank.

I need to compare the local current time to see if its within a time range in another timezone (I only have the int value of the timezone and the start and stop times).

Reading up on TimezoneInfo and ConvertTime but it requires a TimezoneInfo object as second parameter dont see where I can specify the integer offset instead of the name.

So if I have the starting time and ending time and the timezone offset integer value I need to calculate if the local datetime is within that range.

VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Re: Timezones and Time Comparisons

What do you mean by the timezone offset integer?

Like GMT-5?

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but this takes my current time, converts it to UTC and then subtracts 3 to move it 3 timezones behind me.

Code:
    DateTime utcMinus3 = DateTime.UtcNow.AddHours(-3);

Like if an agent is going to make a sales call and we know the clients time is in another timezone, like 5 for eastern, then we can compare teh current time to the clients time and know if its outside calling hours.

I have this so far which looks promissing.

if (DateTimeOffset.Now.ToOffset(clientTimeZone) < DateTime.Now)

But it bitches at the clientTimeZone int value is not assignable to System.TimeSpan
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

I converted the int value to a timespan and it looks ok but is it valid logically

if (DateTimeOffset.Now.ToOffset(System.TimeSpan.FromHours(clientTimeZone)) < clientStartHour)

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Posted too soon. FromHours isnt going to work lol

Edit: The timezone value I have is the timezone numeric id value and not the hours off offset +/- etc.
    So if the timezone id's are the same as the offsets then it may work but then the +/- will not be able to be taken into account of

Edit 2: Asked around and our table of postal information which houses the timezone int id number does relate to the actual timezone offset but its only for USA states and territories. So dont need to worry about +/- and anything other than 4-10 offsets

Arg I hate time calculations lol
    Last edited by RobDog888; Sep 10th, 2013 at 05:44 PM.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Ok I think this may be it. I need to test it still but if the documentation is how I interpret it to work, this should be it.
    What do you think?

Code:
    var timezoneOffset = -1 * clientTimeZone;
    if ((DateTimeOffset.Now.ToOffset(System.TimeSpan.FromHours(timezoneOffset)) > clientHoursStart) && (DateTimeOffset.Now.ToOffset(System.TimeSpan.FromHours(timezoneOffset)) < clientHoursEnd))
    {
       //Within calling hours, allow phone call
       return true;
    }

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Oh and I fond this to be particurally stupid. Why would you get a time zone based upon some display verbiage? @ MS!
    Thats not the definition of an "ID". If you make a type-o it wont find it

Code:
    TimeZoneInfo.FindSystemTimeZoneById("Eastern Standard Time");

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

The issue is that an offset from UTC doesn't define a time zone. Time zones have daylight saving rules, etc. If you only have an offset then that doesn't give you the time zone because there could be several time zones that have that offset at different times of the year. I haven't tested this but I believe that it should work:
    Code:
    private bool IsLocalTimeWithinOffsetRange(double utcOffset, TimeSpan rangeStart, TimeSpan rangeEnd)
    {
        var localTime = DateTime.Now;
        var offsetTime = localTime.AddHours(utcOffset - TimeZoneInfo.Local.GetUtcOffset(localTime).TotalHours);
        var offsetTimeOfDay = offsetTime.TimeOfDay;

return offsetTimeOfDay >= rangeStart && offsetTimeOfDay <= rangeEnd;
    }

I understand that point but our table of postal information is only USA. We do have DST observed indicator but we will have to calculate if DST is in effect. If it is then we have to adjust for the savings or spending of time. I was just thinking of calculating it on the eval of time range but its not effecient as factoring it in during hte original eval

Perhaps a real example will help

Ohio has a a Timezone id of 5
    They observe DST
    Calling hours start 8:00AM
    Calling hours end 9:00PM

Agents in CA want to call clients in OH during hours that they are in the office in CA but need to adhere to restrictions to call between 8-9 ohio time with dst factored in.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Also, there are only 10 states that have more than 1 timezone, actually they have 2 timezones each in those 10 states.
    So I query the entity postalinfo and pull only the record where the zipcode is a match to return that zipcodes exact timezone id and if it supports DST.
    Only one timezone exists in a zipcode.

Last edited by RobDog888; Sep 10th, 2013 at 08:04 PM.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

It's a lot simpler Just convert your timezones to UTC, then do DateAdd function (in DB) or DateTimeVariable.AddHours(Timeoffset) to convert it to your CLIENT's time. Then check between allowed hours.

Had to switch gears but I really hate C# for crap like this lol.
    VB6 used to be so much straight forward lol

Ok so it seems its not too easy to convert a time in one timezone to another timezone when all you have is a time and offset (int)

I'm getting so confused.

Every example I find is using a timezone that is the long version like "Eastern Standard Time".

I just have the destination timezone in integer value offset and everything Ive found doesnt pertain to this

I cant cast the int to timezoneinfo even though it doesnt give me an error in the designer but it does at runtime

Code:
    complianceHours.TimeZone.CastTo<TimeZoneInfo>()
    Last edited by RobDog888; Sep 16th, 2013 at 08:07 PM.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Do you need to find out if your "db" time in the "allowed" time frame of the client's "local" time?

Im dealing with 3 times:

A particular states compliance hours
    The leads local time
    The agents local time

What really sucks is that the Timezone info we have in teh db is an int of positive value where it should actually be a negative value at least for what I ahve seen. We dont have any other timezone info for zones other than 4 to 10 (-4 to -10 actually).

Retrieving the states compliance hours is no problem, they are static for each state.
    Retrieving the agents local times is also a no brainer.
    Calculating the leads local time using our int value timezone value and comparing it to the compliance hours and then comparing it against the agents local time is the issue

I have this so far that is working correctly just for calculating the leads local time but no DST is calculated yet
    Its just basterdized for testing

Code:
    complianceHours.DST = true;
    complianceHours.TimeZone = -5;
    complianceHours.ComplianceHoursStart = DateTime.Parse("08:00:00 AM");
    complianceHours.ComplianceHoursEnd = DateTime.Parse("09:00:00 PM");

var localTime = DateTime.Now;

// Result 1:54 PM = (-5 - -7) --2 hour offset
    //My local time is 11:54 AM
    //2 hour offset but DST is in effect in both locations so it should be 3 hours offset
    complianceHours.LeadHoursStart = localTime.AddHours(complianceHours.TimeZone - TimeZoneInfo.Local.GetUtcOffset(localTime).TotalHours);

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

If you store your timeoffset in positive number but sure that they should be negative, you have 2 options:

1. Replace timeoffset value in the DB to have correct values (i.e -4 to -10), you can run a simple update YourTable set TimeoffsetColumn = TimeoffsetColumn * -1
    2. You can do calculation in C#.

PHP Code:
                complianceHours.DST true;

complianceHours.TimeZone = -5;

complianceHours.ComplianceHoursStart DateTime.Parse("08:00:00 AM");

complianceHours.ComplianceHoursEnd DateTime.Parse("09:00:00 PM");

//(you can also get this value from DB: var timeoffset = dbValue * -1)

var timeoffset complianceHours.TimeZone

//convert local time to "compliance time"

var localTime DateTime.UtcNow.AddHours(timeoffset); 

//check if localTime is in between complianceStart and complianceEnd times

if (localTime >= complianceHours.ComplianceHoursStart && localTime complianceHours.ComplianceHoursEnd)
                {

// you are in the period of ComplianceHoursStart and ComplianceHoursEnd, 
                    //i.e between compliance hours: 08:00:00 AM and 09:00:00 PM

}
                else
                { 

//you are NOT in this period

Last edited by Serge; Sep 18th, 2013 at 12:17 PM.

Thanks Serge! But the compliance hours are based in each and every state as they vary. So converting the leads time to local time wont eval correctly. We need to eval the leads actual time to see that its within their states compliance hours.

We are using MEF to retrieve values from the database and yes I am correcting the signage of the timezone when its assigned to my objects Timezone property.

pseudocode

Get state compliance hours
    Calculate Leads actual hours/time
    Eval leads actual time with its compliance hours

I think I have been looking at things backwards. Let me digest this first
    Last edited by RobDog888; Sep 18th, 2013 at 01:10 PM.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

This is what I have working good with DST factored in and showing the leads compliance time as reflected in teh agents timezone

Thanks guys for the assistance!

PHP Code:
          private async Task<boolConvertLocalTimeToLeadTime(ComplianceHours complianceHours)
          {

//Local/System time will always have DST preadjusted.

complianceHours.DstIsInEffect DateTime.Now.IsDaylightSavingTime();
             var 
    timeoffset complianceHours.TimeZone;

//convert local time to "compliance time" with DST factored in

var localTime DateTime.UtcNow.AddHours(timeoffset);
             var 
    localOffset TimeZoneInfo.Local.GetUtcOffset(DateTime.Now).TotalHours + (complianceHours.DstIsInEffect ? -0) - timeoffset;

//Leads calling hours as related to agents local timezone with DST factored in

complianceHours.LeadHoursStart complianceHours.ComplianceHoursStart.AddHours(localOffset);

complianceHours.LeadHoursEnd complianceHours.ComplianceHoursEnd.AddHours(localOffset);

//check if time is in between complianceStart and complianceEnd times

if (localTime.TimeOfDay.TotalHours >= complianceHours.ComplianceHoursStart.TimeOfDay.TotalHours 

&& localTime.TimeOfDay.TotalHours complianceHours.ComplianceHoursEnd.TimeOfDay.TotalHours)
             {

//Within compliance, allow call

complianceHours.ValidTimeToCall true;
                return 
    true;
             }

//you are not in compliance

complianceHours.ValidTimeToCall false;
             return 
    false;
          } 

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011