dcsimg

Thread: VB.net project with VC++ project dll stopped working when moved from XP to Windows 7

Addicted Member

Question VB.net project with VC++ project dll stopped working when moved from XP to Windows 7

Hi All,

All was working fine on XP, but gives this error on Windows 7 (64 bit):

"An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007000B)"

I've googled the message and it points to a 32/64 bit mismatch problem.

the VB.Net project has (under Project Properties, then "Advanced Compile Options") has a Target CPU of AnyCPU.

You don't get this screen under properties for the C++ dll.

In "Configuration Manager" my VB.Net project has a platform of "Any CPU" and my C++ library has a Platform of "Win32" - I was hoping to change my platform to "Any CPU", but that option wasn't there, only "New..." and "Edit..."
    If I do "New..." I can add a platform of "x64", but when I rebuild it I get a load of link errors (LNK2001).

Ideally I want my solution to run on XP and Windows 7 (64 bit and 32 bit) without having to compile different versions for different platforms.

Many Thanks

Kristian

Re: VB.net project with VC++ project dll stopped working when moved from XP to Window

So compile all for x86 (32 bit) (Framework 4 or earlier) to give yourself a chance!
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Reviews: "dunfiddlin likes his DataTables" - jmcilhinney

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!

Addicted Member

Re: VB.net project with VC++ project dll stopped working when moved from XP to Window

Hi,

I can set the Target CPU to "x86" for the VB project, but you don't get that screen for the C++ project.

In the C++ library Properties page under linker, ther is a "MachineX86" option I can set for the "Target Machine" - Is that what you meant?

Thanks

Kristian

Yup!
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!

Addicted Member

Hi,

Changed the linker setting, but same problem.

Kris

OK. So what framework are you compiling to, and what frameworks are present on the two machines? Is this C++ library one you created yourself, downloaded from somewhere, part of a third party program?

Addicted Member

OK,

Windows 7 machine has MS .NET Framework 4 Client Profile, Extended and Multi-Targeting Pack installed.
    On XP it has MS .NET Compact Framework 2.0 SP2, MS .NET Compact Framework 3.5, MS .NET Framework 1.1, MS .NET Framework 2.0 SP2, MS .NET Framework 3.0 SP2, MS .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 & MS .NET Framework 4 Client Profile, Extended and Multi-Targeting Pack installed.

on Windows 7(SP1) and XP(SP3), The VB project is set to use the MS .NET Framework 4 as its target framework and the C++ library doesn't seem to have that setting, but is using the v100 Platform Toolset (if that matters).

The C++ Library was written in house, but the guy is now on holiday.

Is it normal to have different platforms listed under each project in Configuration Manager? My VB project only has "Any CPU" as an option and the C++ library has Win32 & x64

This is the 1st time I've had to code anything for Windows 7 as I've worked exclusively with XP and only a few years ago stopped supporting NT4.

Thanks for your time

Kristian

C++ doesn't have any target framework because it isn't .Net. It's essentially platform independent. You probably do need to know whether the library was intended for 32bit or 64bit though.

Configuration Manager won't give you any options because that's not really its job. If you want to change Framework & CPU settings for the project, you need ...

Properties (right click on the Project name in Solution Explorer or select from the Project Menu) > Compile > Advanced Compile Options

... for a comprehensive choice of, well, options!

Addicted Member

Sorry for the delay in replying - got diverted onto someone else's C# problem, not that I know anything about C#!
    I'll have another look through those options.

Thanks

Kristian

VC++ dlls are 32 bit by default

Addicted Member

Hi Paul,

The C++ library's active platform is set to Win32.
    If I work out what it is I'll update the thread.

Thanks

Kristian